Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 6:13:32 AM EDT
any advice on buying one of these

my mom wants one so i'm going to install one or have one installed in her 2000 F150

who makes the best one? anything to look out for, brands to avoid, installation tips?

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a Clifford alarm installed on my '00 Monte Carlo, and it was remote start capable. I got it added and [b]loved it[/b]...long time!

Worked great until I got rid of the car last year. It took me about 2 days to remember to preset the heater/AC controls to what the temp will be later.

Mom's gonna [s]like[/s] love this one!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#2]
a buddy got a viper car alarm system for his 300zx.  the remote start worked great until. one day when he was cleaning out the car he set a "club" steering wheel lock on his dashboard.  and went inside to take a break.  for some unknown reason.  (i think he sat on the keys).  his car started.  the club vibrated off the dash and hit the auto transmission shifter and shifted into reverse.  the car backed up.  hit a curb.the steering wheel turned and locked and the car went out into the street, jumped the median, then across the other side of the street and killed itself in a neibors bushes.

he found out about half an hour later when a cop knocked one the door and wanted to know WTF?

his first response was it was stolen but nothing was taking from the car and the club's location told the tale.  the cop called it a "clue".

lesson learned if you get one have is set up so you have to push two buttons to get it to start.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Best Buy has them, Installed for around $200.00
I have the Avital model 4200 in my pick up works great.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
a buddy got a viper car alarm system for his 300zx.  the remote start worked great until. one day when he was cleaning out the car he set a "club" steering wheel lock on his dashboard.  and went inside to take a break.  for some unknown reason.  (i think he sat on the keys).  his car started.  the club vibrated off the dash and hit the auto transmission shifter and shifted into reverse.  the car backed up.  hit a curb.the steering wheel turned and locked and the car went out into the street, jumped the median, then across the other side of the street and killed itself in a neibors bushes.

he found out about half an hour later when a cop knocked one the door and wanted to know WTF?

his first response was it was stolen but nothing was taking from the car and the club's location told the tale.  the cop called it a "clue".

lesson learned if you get one have is set up so you have to push two buttons to get it to start.
View Quote
[rofl] Great story!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
every one I have seen has as a  safty that if the car is placed in gear with out the key in the ignition.. it will simply turn off .

not only so that what you post willnot happen   but also so that no one takes off with your car while its " warming up".

I call "bad install" on that story.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Follow the vehicle specific instructions for the F150.  Improper installation has caused transmission failures in some Ford trucks.  Non warranty...of course!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
My only advice would be.. if you get one, and you take your car places to be worked on, don't leave a remote with them.

A friends mother had one in her mini van..   took it to Walmart for an oil change. However it happens, someone hits the botton and starts the van while her engines drained of oil. Ooops..  not good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My only advice would be.. if you get one, and you take your car places to be worked on, don't leave a remote with them.

A friends mother had one in her mini van..   took it to Walmart for an oil change. However it happens, someone hits the botton and starts the van while her engines drained of oil. Ooops..  not good.
View Quote

An extra oil pressure switch wired in would prevent starting until the oil pressure came up. Might have to hit the button a time or two.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My 2002 Tacoma Double Cab has one.  It is set up so that the auto-start will function only with the car in park and arming switches in the correct position.

The car will turn itself off if any of the drivetrain controls are touched without the key being in the ignition.

Good system...too bad I have to sell the truck...next vehicle probably won't get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top