Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 7:19:45 PM EDT
for you GD folks that are from IL,if I have my AR in my car and I get pulled over,am I required by law to tell the cop? If not,is it a courtesy that I should follow? I know to keep it unloaded in a case,keep ammo in a seperate part of the car etc etc.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
for you GD folks that are from IL,if I have my AR in my car and I get pulled over,am I required by law to tell the cop? If not,is it a courtesy that I should follow? I know to keep it unloaded in a case,keep ammo in a seperate part of the car etc etc.

DO NOT TELL THE COP, I SAY AGAIN, DO NOT TELL THE COP!!!!

Just make sure it is encased/unloaded, preferably in the trunk.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no reason to state that you have a firearm in the vehicle unless the officer asks you specifically if there is a firearm in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not legally required to do so unless you are so prompted, however it may be prudent depending on your circumstances to disclose the firearm's presence.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
not required to to tell him unless you are asked.  Never volunteer info to police (esp. in this state).  Gun must be in latched or zipped case and unloaded.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There is no reason to state that you have a firearm in the vehicle unless the officer asks you specifically if there is a firearm in the vehicle.

Even then. Just ignore the question. If you answer yes, you are not going any farther until he inspects the gun, with lots of backup of course, and they they will all stand around dreaming up an excuse to confiscate the gun at the very least, and maybe arrest you as well.

You have the right to remain silent. Use it.

I don't live there now, but I used to.

This advice is applicable in all other states, too.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Also, you do not have to keep the ammo separate from the firearm, it just has to be unloaded.

Mike F

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top