Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2002 7:16:20 PM EDT
kind of short on details
[url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20021008-0607-ca-policeshooting.html[/url]

October 8, 2002

LOS ANGELES – Authorities have launched an investigation into whether a Redondo Beach police officer accidentally killed a suspected car thief by mistaking a shotgun for a beanbag stun gun, according to two reports published Tuesday.

Authorities said a 40-year-old man was shot to death by a police officer Sunday following the conclusion of a high-speed pursuit. Officers were chasing the man who was allegedly driving a stolen sport-utility vehicle, police said.

After the SUV crashed into a curb near Los Angeles International Airport, one of the officers fired his weapon and struck the driver. No other details of the shooting were released.

But the Los Angeles Times and the Daily Breeze, citing unnamed police sources, reported that a preliminary investigation suggests the officer, who has not been identified, may have discharged the wrong gun.

Instead of grabbing a weapon loaded with a "less lethal" beanbag round, the officer fired a shotgun, the newspapers reported.

Redondo Beach Police Sgt. Phil Keenan declined to comment on the investigation, but did say no weapons were found on the man or inside the vehicle.

The man's identity was being withheld, pending notification of his family.

The shooting was being investigated by both the Los Angeles Police Department's Robbery Homicide Division and the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
but i thought bean bag guns were just shotguns loaded with bean bag rounds?
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
that's what I thought too

[img]http://www.pmcammo.com/pmc/images/FB12A.jpg[/img]

any reason why they'd have two shotguns one with bb rounds one with out? why not just carry a few bean bag rounds?
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
remember that "toss across" (~?) game where you used the tiny bean bags to play tic-tac-toe (naughts and crosses for you DEEP southeners(Aussies)) [:)]

Now those bean bag rounds would put a whole new 'twist' on that game [:D]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Bet the little fvcker won't steal a car again!

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I THINK!!! that some departments may have "bean bag guns" which, again I THINK, are shotguns that are supposed to be only loaded with beanbags and the stock and pump grip are bright orange or some other color to differentiate them from standard shotguns.
View Quote

I've seen some that were bright orange as well. They were even stenciled "Less Lethal" in black on the buttstock.

Maybe the officer was colorblind. Not that any of this matters anyway. The important thing is that he went home safely after everything was said and done.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
remember that "toss across" (~?) game where you used the tiny bean bags to play tic-tac-toe (naughts and crosses for you DEEP southeners(Aussies)) [:)]

Now those bean bag rounds would put a whole new 'twist' on that game [:D]
View Quote

Your dating yourself![:D]
Since I used to play that game in the seventies at my grandparent's house, I guess I am too!

I would think the reason they would have two separate guns would be because maybe they leave the tubes loaded.  Just not a round chambered.  I agree though that there should be a color or other designation between the two shotguns.  Something that doesn't let the perp know that it's not the real thing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
When anyone but a cop kills someone by accident, they face charges

cops are above the law i guess
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't say I feel sorry for the guy that got shot.  People who do high speed getaways often end up killing innocents when they crash.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top