Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 4:30:05 AM EDT
Can anyone bring up google?  I can't seem to bring it up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You have a virus/spyware.

Run coolwebshredder, adaware, and spybot search and destroy.

I bet google works if you go to www2.google.com.

I've seen this before.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Working for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
 I thought so...I was doing some updating and cleaning of the system and I failed to turn my safety sweep back on....genius move.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#4]
HACKED BY CHINESE!!!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
 Okay...two days and eight hundred attempts later and I cannot get Google to load for some reason...nor Yahoo...nor Adaware....Symantec and Lycos and AR15.com ( or most websites are not a problem ) I have deleted ANY .exe file from 10/10/04 on up but I still must have something that google sees as a threat...can anyone tell me what other kinds of files I should delete from the system????

Thanks guys

by the way, the virus was an Exploit virus and neither norton nor microsoft have been one git of help in killing this one off....and YES I have downloaded all of the patches....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a file called HOST somewhere on your C drive that blocks access to certain websites, what happens the virus put in the web sites for Google etc. Do a search on it, and I will bet that that file contains the google website. You can use notepad to edit it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:20:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Check your hosts file.  Google may be redirected to 127.0.0.1

the directory that this file is located in is \\winnt\system32\drivers\etc  open in notepad
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I am on it!

Hey, also, I have a file that was created at the approximate time that I "got" the virus ( the virus I have is a trojan horse ) and I cannot delete it.  the file name is:    mss-PEor.exe and it is an "unknown application file" with no credits of any kind...it is in my C:/WINDOWS folder and I can't delete it...any ideas?

Thanks for the help so far...going to host!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:47:52 AM EDT
[#9]
desertmoon: Restart your machine in safe mode, and then you can delete it. But personally, I wouldn't do that, you may need it, what I would do is rename to somthing else so the system can't find it. Restart your system in regulare mode. And if all of your software runs good, then delete it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:52:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There is a file called HOST somewhere on your C drive that blocks access to certain websites, what happens the virus put in the web sites for Google etc. Do a search on it, and I will bet that that file contains the google website. You can use notepad to edit it.

i HAVE FOUND IT AND THE FOLDER INDEED CONTAINS GOOGLE AND ( oops ) Yahoo...should I take them off the list?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quick tip:

Think LINUX and tell Microsoft to stick it.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i HAVE FOUND IT AND THE FOLDER INDEED CONTAINS GOOGLE AND ( oops ) Yahoo...should I take them off the list?

BEFORE YOU DELETE IT, MAKE A COPY OF THE FILE JUST INCASE YOU NEED SOMETHING FROM IT!
Use NOTEPAD and take away google, yahoo etc and save it. If the system won't let you save it, you may need to edit it in safe-mode, but I don't think so. AFter you edited it, restart your computer and it should be back to normal.

Any others with any other suggestion?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:04:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Wizard:   I HAVE been thinking exactly that....but I ain't too cpmuter savy

ISSUE IS RESOLVED....THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wizard:   I HAVE been thinking exactly that....but I ain't too cpmuter savy

ISSUE IS RESOLVED....THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

What operating system are you using Windows 98SE, XP etc, you should try to install the latest updates. They have fixes to prevent hi-jacking of your computer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:14:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I still seem to be having issues with the problem...something keeps putting google and yahoo back on the host list...any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Download hijack this.  Look for anything that does not look like it belongs.  If you are shy about using this tool post the log and someone here will tell you what you can kill.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:19:04 AM EDT
[#17]
will try to look...thx
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:19:44 AM EDT
[#18]
desertmoon: You've a virus that reinstalls the problem. Have tried to change the "properties" of that HOST file to read-only, that should prevent it from putting it back. Go back and get rid of the extra stuff, and do a right click, select properties and check "read only." You have to get another virus killer in order to get rid of the virus. Try Macafee.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Nah, its probally not a virus, probally a hijacker that reloads itself as soon as you launch IE.  Post the log and you probally have several BHO (browser helper objects) that are causing configuration changes when you start.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#20]
working on it still....have downloaded noadaware...will set host to read only
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I think I have it

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top