Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/9/2006 12:41:09 AM EDT
I am looking for video clips to deminstrate why shooting at cars with handguns and small arms, rifles and shotguns are poor stoppers of Motor vehicles. It seems one person in my department thinks shooting the car will disable it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:45:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 7:52:22 AM EDT by NorCal_LEO]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:06:01 AM EDT
Well there are very few weapons short of HE rounds or missiles that will stop a vehicle period. Now disabling a vehicle is another story but they have to realize that the mechanical portion of the vehicle will have to "break down" as a result of your actions so do not expect this to be a quick think. I would say not much short of a high powered rifle round or 1oz slug will get a whole lot done short of busting tires. They may lead to a leaky gas tank or maybe a hole in the radiator but not much more.

When we had the first wave of car bombs in Iraq I remember a story of a check point of mechanized infantry that opened up on a van with several female occupants with M16s, M249s, a M240B and a Bushmaster 25mm Cannon and all they did was take the motor out, the van still rolled all the way to the gate. Now most of the folks inside were smeared but they did not disable the vehicles motion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:09:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NorCal_LEO:
I beg to differ. The stainless Ruger Mini-14 can flip the hood of a car up so the bad guys can't see, then flip that fool over. Are you really a cop?

See below.

www.geocities.com/matt_nyc/ateam/Images/Group_Pics/g_face_hannibal_ba_w_guns.jpg

Thanks for that....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:42:39 AM EDT
if you shoot for the tires on one side, couldn't that cause it to shift in that direction?
The only way you can stop it it's tracks is if you meet it with equal force, or just blow it up
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 3:35:56 PM EDT by highdraglowspeed]
BlackHawk Down
Moving Land Rover from a moving blackhawk with an M-4 1 shot stop.

Hard to argue with that one.

Although the "A" team is old school and could get the job done.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:14:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spcwes:
Well there are very few weapons short of HE rounds or missiles that will stop a vehicle period. Now disabling a vehicle is another story but they have to realize that the mechanical portion of the vehicle will have to "break down" as a result of your actions so do not expect this to be a quick think. I would say not much short of a high powered rifle round or 1oz slug will get a whole lot done short of busting tires. They may lead to a leaky gas tank or maybe a hole in the radiator but not much more.

When we had the first wave of car bombs in Iraq I remember a story of a check point of mechanized infantry that opened up on a van with several female occupants with M16s, M249s, a M240B and a Bushmaster 25mm Cannon and all they did was take the motor out, the van still rolled all the way to the gate. Now most of the folks inside were smeared but they did not disable the vehicles motion.

exactly, now I did see a video back in the academy where they shot up a car, NorCal_LEO
yes hood and all along with tires the instructor got in and drove it away. after 1500 rounds of various ammunition. I found one video clip but I am looking for a better one to demonstrate. I heard there is a clip of a pursuit in flordia were the on scene officers attempted shooting out tires, and the motor and the suspect still continued to drive away. oh by the way you have an inbound IM
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:43:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:29:50 AM EDT
all is good
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:38:13 PM EDT
Anyone?
Norcal_LEO?
Anyone?
Top Top