Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 8:36:43 AM EDT
I had a problem with my computer rebooting. I reformatted it and clean all the dust out of the case. It stioll is doing it.

what could be causing it to keep rebooting?
i am about ready to throw it out the door and go buy a new one.

HP with Xp installed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you install SP2 on a non-legit copy of Windows XP?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
is it bluescreening then autorebooting before you see the bluescreen? disable autoreboot on a bluescreen.

edit: start / settings / control panel click system click advanced tab click settings under startup and recovery then unclick autorestart

edit again: if thats the case you will see the bluescreen next time it happens and you will be able to find out what is causing the problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a possible hardware problem. First and easiest thing I would check is the memory. You can download software that will test it or you could temporarily swap it out with some from a different system and see if your problem goes away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#4]
motherboard is fuxxored.

Happened to mine once.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure your cpu fan is spinning and check the cpu temp to see if it is what it should be, try reseating the ram. Does it reboot if you just stay in the BIOS or just when booting windows?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Check your CPU and Memory
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
bad ram (use memtest)
bad hard drive (use manufacturer specific testing software)
bad capacitors on the mobo (visual inspection should be enough to spot the culprits)
bad power supply (need PSU tester)
bad heat-sink-fan on the cpu (run prime number generator)
bad thermal compound bonding between cpu and heatsink (unseat heat sink fan combo and inspect.  if you don't know what you are doing here, i would suggest getting some help.  don't want to put a screwdriver through your mobo)
bad drivers (make sure you get all the updated drivers from the internet)

need to check all of these first before coming to any conclusions.

if you have access to another computer try burning a copy of the ultimate boot cd to run most diagnostics outside of windows.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of hardware issues can cause this.  Video card drawing too much power, power supply going bad, motherboard going bad, bad RAM.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
bad ram (use memtest)
bad capacitors on the mobo (visual inspection should be enough to spot the culprits)
bad thermal compound bonding between cpu and heatsink (unseat heat sink fan combo and inspect.  if you don't know what you are doing here, i would suggest getting some help.  don't want to put a screwdriver through your mobo)

if you have access to another computer try burning a copy of the ultimate boot cd to run most diagnostics outside of windows.

don't know how to do some of those.
probably would be cheaper to replace the tower than take it to a repair place
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Could be a lot of things.  We had one do that a lot, only to find out the UPS we had it plugged into was blinking the power.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Heat

Power

Boredom
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bad ram (use memtest)

don't know how to do some of those.
probably would be cheaper to replace the tower than take it to a repair place

At least try the memory test. Microsoft has a free one if I remember correctly.
Here is a link oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]
when you boot do you hear any beeps?  do you hear fans running? can you even get to the windows screen before the reboot?  what kind of computer is it? can you get to your bios at all?

all these questions need to be answered so you can get a good idea whats up.  the suggestions that have been posted are good ones by the way. check them all out.
personally i would check the ram.  unseat it one at a time and reboot with one out.  see what happens there.  if it reboots and allows you to perform normal operations you have 1 of 2 things wrong. you have a bad stick of ram or you have a bad channel on your board.  power down and try to move the ram into another channel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
when you boot do you hear any beeps?never paid attention  do you hear fans running?yes and i can feel the power supply fan running. have to check the inside fans tomorrow when i get home from work. can you even get to the windows screen before the reboot?computer goes blank then restarts so i don't know when it happens  what kind of computer is it? HP a510ecan you get to your bios at all?should beable to

all these questions need to be answered so you can get a good idea whats up.  the suggestions that have been posted are good ones by the way. check them all out.
personally i would check the ram.  unseat it one at a time and reboot with one out.only 1 gig of memory installed on 1 chip. It hasn't did a reboot in the last 30 mins - 1 hour  see what happens there.  if it reboots and allows you to perform normal operations you have 1 of 2 things wrong. you have a bad stick of ram or you have a bad channel on your board.  power down and try to move the ram into another channel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#15]
You double tapped your thread

dupe
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=735008

this thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=735009
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=735008
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top