Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/24/2001 8:34:59 PM EST
im just gettin into machining/gunsmithing and have some legal questions...(this is obviously for a long time down the road :) ) a class 2 manufacturer can create supressors and convert semi to full as post dealer samples, yes? how tough is it to become a class 2? lotsa paperwork? expensive? it obviously isnt too easy or all of us would be one... ;) thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:59:48 PM EST
No trouble at all to become a class 2, as long as you can get the type 07 FFL. For a type 7, you may need to be zoned industrial (not just commercial), or be unzoned, or have specific permission for being a manufacturer on your property. Other than that, the type 07 FFL is no harder to get than any other FFL. Once you're a type 07, file your $500 reduced special occupational tax and you're a Class 2.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:22:11 PM EST
ok, well how does one go about getting the 07 FFL? how does it differ from a normal FFL? (if you can point me to a website or something that i can read about on my own, i really do hate to waste other peoples time if i can do this by myself...) any hints? reasons a person might be denied? etc? once again, to get a 07 FFL is it expensive? tedious? thanks once again
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:14:33 AM EST
No big deal, really - get the forms by calling the ATF, or download them from [url]www.titleii.com[/url]. You can read more about the licensing procedure at [url]www.atf.treas.gov[/url] Fill the application for license (Form 7) out, get two sets of fingerprint cards, two passport style photos, and a check made out to the Department of the Treasury. The fee for a type 07 is $150 for the first three years. Mail one copy to your local sheriff, and the other copy, with the check, to the ATF at the address listed on the form. In 2-3 months, the ATF will send an inspector out to interview you and check on your zoning, etc. If all is cool, you'll get your license, and you can pay the $500 for your Class 2 SOT. If you don't live in an industrial zoned, or unzoned area, you may need to get a variance or permission letter from your local zoning board.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:26:25 AM EST
I haven't looked into it, but I believe there is also an additional $600/yr fee for the state dept. for any 07SOT...even if you never export any of your weapons. You also have to be able to show some sort of minimal effort at engaging in a bonafide business. You can't get (and keep) an SOT just to enhance your own collection. Not difficult to do, but don't forget to do it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:09:54 PM EST
By the way, I believe that when you become a class III, and perhaps a class II, you have to give up your constituional right to search and seizure...4th ammendment
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:36:30 PM EST
BATF is allowed once a year to inspect the premises with in buesness hours with out a warrent so in a way yes
Top Top