Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 11:34:43 AM EDT
at least that is what i think it is.
i have a LG8100 phone with a 1 gig chip so i can use it as a MP3 player.
the problem is i need it to hold more songs than it does.
can i compress the files or do anything to make more of them fit on my chip?

thanks,

hk.

ed.  they are a "Windows Media Audio file" if that helps.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
MP3s and wma files are already compressed.
You can't compress them anymore.
You need to buy a bigger card.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
not what i wanted to hear but
thanks.

does it matter if i ripped a CD to the hard drive and uploaded it directly to the chip?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
You can rip audio tracks in different bitrates, with lower bitrates resulting in smaller file sizes.   Sound quality will be compromised, but most people can't really tell the difference.  

My guesstimate is, since I know that at 256kbps you should get just under 8 hours of audio playback, if you ripped tracks in 128kbps, you'd get near 16  hours of playback out of 1GB.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can rip audio tracks in different bitrates, with lower bitrates resulting in smaller file sizes.   Sound quality will be compromised, but most people can't really tell the difference.  

My guesstimate is, since I know that at 256kbps you should get just under 8 hours of audio playback, if you ripped tracks in 128kbps, you'd get near 16  hours of playback out of 1GB.  

Plus, considering the (probably) crappy little bitty speaker IN a cell phone, you wouldn't even know the difference in sound quality.  Hell..... I'd bet you could get away with even 96K ripped stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top