Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/20/2003 6:17:26 PM EDT
I finally just ordered a safe [bounce], delivery will be in about four weeks. I will be putting it in my garage, which is slightly below grade. Concerned about moisture + metal + rust, I'm wondering if it's okay to place the safe on the concrete or should I place it on a wooden platform. But, I would like to bolt it to the concrete floor. How about a thin piece of rubber between the safe bottom and the concrete? [thinking]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:23:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 6:24:16 PM EDT by thebeekeeper1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:27:24 PM EDT
Unless your garage is climate controlled; ie: heated in winter, dehumidified in summer, I'd make every effort to find a spot inside your house for your safe, even if it mean sacrificing a closet. If that's not a possibility, at least get an electrically heated rod to place inside. Moisture will come up through the concrete floor so a vapor barrier is needed if your floor isn't sealed with urethane or epoxy. Even then I'd utilize a vapor barrier. Hell, in the winter I store my Harley in my rec room!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:29:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:46:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: Put down a piece of Saran Wrap, taping the edges--if it gets moisture under it in 24 hours, it will eat your safe more quickly than you can afford. You did get fireproofing, right? No use only getting HALF the protection--like I did with my first one. [stick]<---thebeekeeper1
View Quote
Hey Mike.... Ya, I was thinking my piece of rubber idea wasn't a good one, the Saran Wrap sounds good. Yes, I did get fireproofing. I chose the "Special Forces III" model with elect. lock, fireproofing, spindle wheel [url]sportsmansteelsafes.com[/url] Originally posted by KODoc:
Unless your garage is climate controlled; ie: heated in winter, dehumidified in summer, I'd make every effort to find a spot inside your house for your safe, even if it mean sacrificing a closet. If that's not a possibility, at least get an electrically heated rod to place inside
View Quote
Inside the house is not an option, I wish. We have a very small house with very limited closet space. I will have a dehumidifying rod on the inside of the safe. I'm thinking of placing a household dehumidifier in the garage too.
Top Top