Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/9/2006 8:30:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 11:28:13 AM EDT by 1911greg]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:33:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:44:27 AM EDT
navy quals, using the weapons they had when i was in ( 91 )

1911 fire 30 rounds, hit full size silouete ( sp ) at 50 feet 23 times
shotgun fire it 3 times at 50 feet, no accuracy requirement
m16a1 ( yes we had a1's ) fire 30 rounds at 25 yard, hit the full size target 23 times

i qualified expert on the m16 in full auto in one mag dump, with a group of about 4 inches
i did not do quiet as well with the 45, i did qualify expert but my groups where about 4 inches at 50 feet, with a rattle trap 45 that was marked us army, and the records showed it had been bought by the army in 1952
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:26:04 AM EDT
Qualified with a 1911 made by Ithaca. Don't know how old it was.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:12:33 PM EDT
well even if it was easy still was nice to qual as expert.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:25:04 PM EDT
There are several Army pistol courses of fire. Did you shoot the MP course or the pop up course?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:25:02 PM EDT
It couldn’t have been as easy as the one I completed to get a .45 when I was in the army back in the late 1960’s - it consisted solely of completing a property card and returning it to the supply sergeant.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:46:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Army pistol qualification - if you don't get expert you're probably blind or an epileptic.

Sad, but true in my experience as well. Thank goodness for businesses like Gunsite and Thunder Ranch...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:16:38 AM EDT
When my dad was in ~68 he said he qualified with a .45cal pencil.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:26:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:
There are several Army pistol courses of fire. Did you shoot the MP course or the pop up course?

We shot popup targets when we qual'd.

29/30 with an "I swear to all that is holy, I hit that 30th one".

And you'd be surprised how easy it is to NOT qualify expert. I think me and Top were the only ones who scored 28/30+ out of the company.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:33:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tyman:

And you'd be surprised how easy it is to NOT qualify expert. I think me and Top were the only ones who scored 28/30+ out of the company.

It was the pop up course, I agree suprisingly alot of people did not qual expert...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:24:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tyman:

I have shot two or three versions of the Army pistol qual. I have run the pop up qual course a couple of years, and you are right, there are alot of guys ( usually officers ) who can barely qual at all, let alone qualify expert. Thats one reason I always scratch my head when I hear about states that allow CCW applicants to submit a DD214 as proof of pistol training and as a substitute to whatever mandated training the state requires, because just as with the M16, you have some people on an M9 range who shouldn't be trusted with live rounds.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 12:28:52 PM EDT by kk7sm]

Army pistol qualification - if you don't get expert you're probably blind or an epileptic.

I'm epileptic and I qualified expert.

ETA: I did have one miss. I shot clean through the gaping hole in the center of the target and it didn't drop. The MP who was grading me (who I was known to go drinking with on occasion) wouldn't give it to me, even though we both saw the dirt splash, because then I'd have scored perfect.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:31:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
I would like to carry mine without the safety...

Cary it with the safety on or off, just get in the habit of sweeping the spot on the slide where the lever is with your thumb every time you draw.

Murphy will visit one day, so don't expect the lever to be where you left it last.

Dealing with the "dingus".
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:06:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dolomite:

Cary it with the safety on or off, just get in the habit of sweeping the spot on the slide where the lever is with your thumb every time you draw.

Murphy will visit one day, so don't expect the lever to be where you left it last.

sucks for the officer, I guess you are right better to practice sweeping the safety. But by god who designs a weapon with a slide mounted safety! and even worse that up is to fire????
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:10:08 PM EDT

+1000
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:20:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dolomite:

dogs why does it always have to be a dog
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:12:32 PM EDT
For somebody who has shot before, you better shoot Expert.

Now picture a smallish female who has never shot being handed a 1911 for the first time at the range sesion?

BTW I always shot Expert with pistols, mostly 45s and 38s, including a .38 with the barrel canted about 10 degrees. I pointed it out to the Rangemaster after I qual'd and he asked if I wanted another chance with another pistol.. "Nope, it goes in the record as Experrt, doesn't matter the score."

I once had about 35+ hits out of 30 in the black and on the target. They made me reshoot that one, Wouldn't let me keep the extra 30 points or so, and let the people on both sides practice a few more times and then shoot alone a few targets apart
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 5:16:08 AM EDT by Dolomite]

dogs why does it always have to be a dog

I'm good friends w/ the deputy in the article. "By all accounts" at the time, the canine in question was one of those wolf hybrids. But of course now everyone ribs him that it was a poodle with pointy ears.

But by god who designs a weapon with a slide mounted safety!
My guess is that Carl Walther stole the idea from Pietro Beretta - S&W and others jumped on board later.

Why is it on the slide? Depends on whether the designer felt it was better to affect the trigger (JMB) or the firing pin. Both ways have their merits.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:05:03 PM EDT
The army pistol qual is very easy, but believe it or not people still fail. At Military Police school this summer we had to send three people home who couldn't qualify. We spent one complete day on maintaining the M9 and five minutes before qualification on how to shoot it, how pathetic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:11:39 PM EDT
Top Top