Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2002 7:47:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Your penny is steel.  (Copper shortage during the war.)  It is not particularly rare.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I call BS on this one.

A coin cannot have a blank side, as the blank side MUST have a die to make the OTHER die work.

Now, it may possible that a coin can have a BROKEN die, but a modern coin with that malady still isnt worth a whole lot.

I'll bet someone shaved-off half the coin and silver-soldered a blank piece of nickel to it.
You can probably find someone willing to do that for about $20.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
So what was it?  A purposely made quarter with a blank obverse/reverse?

And I find it hard to believe someone offered 1mil for a blank.

Got a link?

Hell, even those purposely made Sacagawea/quarter's didn't go for nearly that much at auction.  And that mint worker should be sitting in Club Fed right about now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The only steel penny I ever saw was a 1943.. There were a lot of them around when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I can think of one way to get a one sided coin.
put two blanks in at one time.  The die would imprint each blank on one side.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The 1943 pennies were made of zinc coated steel. The 1944,1945 and a very few 1946 pennies were made of recycled cartridge brass.
Some benefits of being old; I can remember a lot of useless trivia but can't remember if I ate dinner tonight.

marsh
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a 1943 steel/whatever wheat penny in front of me. It's pretty tarnished. Any way I can clean this puppy off without ruining it?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I call BS on this one.

A coin cannot have a blank side, as the blank side MUST have a die to make the OTHER die work.

Now, it may possible that a coin can have a BROKEN die, but a modern coin with that malady still isnt worth a whole lot.

I'll bet someone shaved-off half the coin and silver-soldered a blank piece of nickel to it.

You can probably find someone willing to do that for about $20.
View Quote

This may be possible if two slugs are loaded in the coining die at the same time. Hence you would have one heads and one tails and one blank side on both.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you seen how fast that die moves.
There will always be defects.
The discovery channel ran a show on he mint and they showed some of the 1/2 strike's where two coins overlapped each other.  They said they very very rarely made it out.  But that it did happen.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The callers of BS are correct. I have a SC Quarter (at least it should have been a SC Quarter) that is blank on both sides. Found it in a bag of SC Quarters from the Mint. It is worth about 2 bucks. A one sided coin is possible, as stated, if two coins are feed into the press simultaneously, but it's probably only worth $5, not $1,000,000, unless it was rare for some other reason such as a  quarter imprint on a dollar blank...like the so called "Sacagewea Mule" which has a quarter imprint on one side, and the Sacagewea Dollar imprint on the other. I think the 1st one found went for a few hundred thousand, until more were found and the price dropped to about $10,000 or less.

As for being found prior to release by the Mint, everyone who collects coins knows that although the Mint finds many errors, just as many are released...when you make millions of coins a day, it's difficult to inspect everyone, no matter how automated things may be.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#12]
My Dad has a Connecticut quarter that has both strikes in orientation to the obverse.  On a normal quarter the one side is oppositly oriented to the other so that when you turn the coin over the other side is upside down.  This quarter has both sides the same.  I tried to get him to give it to me but he said maybe in time.  What would that be worth?
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#13]
The year that the gold dollars came out I bought a roll of $25.  The roll had both ends open so you could see the coins.  On one end, the coin was blank.  I kept wondering if the other side had anything struck on it, so I asked around.  I was told that it would be impossible to have that situation happen.  Since the roll was not packed by the mint, I went ahead and opened it up.  It turned out to be a blank that had gone through the first process of raising the edges, but had not had anything struck on either side.  Kind of neat to find though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top