Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2012 10:35:43 PM EDT
Got a wild hair up my whazoo today and decided to get back into SC2 for a bit.  Sat down and play around 12 games 8 TvPs and 2 TvZs... TvP is easy for me but I get rolled against every Zerg I face and I get to play them so rarely it seems i never get to practice.

Any advice? anyone out there play Zerg need practice VS a gold Terran?

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
In what phase of the game are you losing?

Build-up phase?  Mid-game?

What kind of strats are you losing against?

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Contrary to meme belief, Terrans are the rush race. They have the highest win rate in the 5-15 minute period and have the lowest win rate in the 25+ minute period. You must win early with Terran otherwise you will be beaten by superior units.

Terran is all about mobility and the weakest Terran units are the ones that are the least mobile. Siege Tanks are strong but only when sieged, and their mobility is a huge negative. It forces a strong mobile force (medivacs, hellions, stimpack) to become stationary. When you start playing the positional game against Zerg, who have endless units, you're going to lose. You need to play fast and aggressively against them and must win before the 25 minute mark.

If you're having problems winning before the 25 minute mark it could be that you're focusing too much on a mid game effort instead of an early game effort. If you see the early third, you've just gained a mineral and time advantage against him. Attack him, he won't have anything. If you don't see a third expansion, attack anyway. Hellions rock. Bunkers rock. Everything rocks. Contain and gear up for an expansion, soon your mobility will come in to play.

Get a medivac and load it up with marines. Send it to the back of his base. At the same time, have an army of pretty much anything at the front of his base and attack. With your attacks always send 2-3 SCV's and send them in the front. The AI will always attack these first. You can use this to your advantage in a number of ways. Alternatively you can have one SCV lead and two heal so he lasts a little longer.

If at any time you lose your position, just sell the bunker. You lose 25 minerals, it's a non-issue. Bunkers are amazing, build tons of them.

Marines and Mauraders are amazing units until the enemy gets infestors. Generally at that point you're fighting an uphill battle since your strength, mobility, is up shit creek.

You must win early, either through ruining their economy or outright winning. You must not let them reach that point where they win. The only reason Protoss stands a chance against Zerg in the late game is because of the archon toilet, otherwise brood lords and the zergs insane ability to tech switch (the real strength of the zerg) wins every single time.

Focus on unit preservation as well. Terran builds units slower than the other races. You must preserve every last unit.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Deny zerg expos.  You should be able to defend your main base pretty well while you send a drop or two to kill workers at expo's or even the main.  Then rush up front with MMM.  Don't let him get to heavy mutas or expand unchecked.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree that Terrans are a rush race now.  With SC2, and those new units, reapers are just mind blowing.  I remember when it was in beta and first released...geezus.  Not sure how bad they've been nerfed by now, but still should be able to halt a zerg from steam rolling you with those damn banelings lol.

90% of the time I played against a zerg, they always used banelings to win.  You get enough of them, there's not a damn thing you can do against it.

I've not played for a very very long time but I'll play with you if you're interested.  

Now note, I used to be a zerg rusher in SC1 and Broodwars, I ranked top 100 US, but that was then, this is now =P.  I can't remember any build orders or even how to play proper zerg in SC2.  But....I can still have fun doing it :D.  My best class now has to be Toss.

Not sure how they add friends anymore, by e-mail I think?  add me: [email protected].

I'm on TS, ts.tagaming.net all the time.  Just let me know when you want to play :).
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Contrary to meme belief, Terrans are the rush race. They have the highest win rate in the 5-15 minute period and have the lowest win rate in the 25+ minute period. You must win early with Terran otherwise you will be beaten by superior units.

Terran is all about mobility and the weakest Terran units are the ones that are the least mobile. Siege Tanks are strong but only when sieged, and their mobility is a huge negative. It forces a strong mobile force (medivacs, hellions, stimpack) to become stationary. When you start playing the positional game against Zerg, who have endless units, you're going to lose. You need to play fast and aggressively against them and must win before the 25 minute mark.

If you're having problems winning before the 25 minute mark it could be that you're focusing too much on a mid game effort instead of an early game effort. If you see the early third, you've just gained a mineral and time advantage against him. Attack him, he won't have anything. If you don't see a third expansion, attack anyway. Hellions rock. Bunkers rock. Everything rocks. Contain and gear up for an expansion, soon your mobility will come in to play.

Get a medivac and load it up with marines. Send it to the back of his base. At the same time, have an army of pretty much anything at the front of his base and attack. With your attacks always send 2-3 SCV's and send them in the front. The AI will always attack these first. You can use this to your advantage in a number of ways. Alternatively you can have one SCV lead and two heal so he lasts a little longer.

If at any time you lose your position, just sell the bunker. You lose 25 minerals, it's a non-issue. Bunkers are amazing, build tons of them.

Marines and Mauraders are amazing units until the enemy gets infestors. Generally at that point you're fighting an uphill battle since your strength, mobility, is up shit creek.

You must win early, either through ruining their economy or outright winning. You must not let them reach that point where they win. The only reason Protoss stands a chance against Zerg in the late game is because of the archon toilet, otherwise brood lords and the zergs insane ability to tech switch (the real strength of the zerg) wins every single time.

Focus on unit preservation as well. Terran builds units slower than the other races. You must preserve every last unit.

Thanx for this advice.  I had been trying to focus on expanding and macroing but I see your logic in winning early or not at all.  I'll give this a shot.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

In what phase of the game are you losing?

Build-up phase?  Mid-game?

What kind of strats are you losing against?

Early, Mid, Late.... it all just goes pearshaped :(

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I agree that Terrans are a rush race now.  With SC2, and those new units, reapers are just mind blowing.  I remember when it was in beta and first released...geezus.  Not sure how bad they've been nerfed by now, but still should be able to halt a zerg from steam rolling you with those damn banelings lol.

90% of the time I played against a zerg, they always used banelings to win.  You get enough of them, there's not a damn thing you can do against it.

I've not played for a very very long time but I'll play with you if you're interested.  

Now note, I used to be a zerg rusher in SC1 and Broodwars, I ranked top 100 US, but that was then, this is now =P.  I can't remember any build orders or even how to play proper zerg in SC2.  But....I can still have fun doing it :D.  My best class now has to be Toss.

Not sure how they add friends anymore, by e-mail I think?  add me: [email protected].

I'm on TS, ts.tagaming.net all the time.  Just let me know when you want to play :).

That would be cool Jatobi I dont have TS but I suppose I could acquire it easy enough.  Some practice game would be fun, Laddering gets old sometimes.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanx for this advice.  I had been trying to focus on expanding and macroing but I see your logic in winning early or not at all.  I'll give this a shot.  

When you're attacking at the 10 minute mark (give or take a few minutes depending on the situation), be sure to expand. If they're attacking at the 10 minute mark, you should be fine.

Bunkers are amazing. If they fall, it's damage that the enemy had to do to get through your defenses. If they don't, salvage them to get money back.

Now, if you can contain a zerg to two bases and keep them building tons and tons of roaches, you'll do good in the long run, but you can't let them get the greater spire up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be cool Jatobi I dont have TS but I suppose I could acquire it easy enough.  Some practice game would be fun, Laddering gets old sometimes.  

Just google teamspeak3.  We have a server so we could use it :).  Would be awesome.

You get TS3, and join ts.tagaming.net and look for me.  If I'm not busy doing something with the rest of the guys, I'll come play.

Just be mindful, I've not touched SC2 in over a year and a half lol.  I just got on and tried playing today and realized how slow I am lol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just google teamspeak3.  We have a server so we could use it :).  Would be awesome.
You get TS3, and join ts.tagaming.net and look for me.  If I'm not busy doing something with the rest of the guys, I'll come play.
Just be mindful, I've not touched SC2 in over a year and a half lol.  I just got on and tried playing today and realized how slow I am lol.

lol I sent you a friend request in SC2.  I'll DL teamspeak right now.

KK got TS3 running... and this thing is pretty slick.  beasts the hell out of Ventrillo

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, two games, I got utterly owned.

No playing SC2 in over a year and Im like "wtf am I doing."

lol.  Nice playing with you, I'll get some practice in and be ready to own you next time >:).

Let's play Sunday or Monday!
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
IT is called a ZERGLING RUSH.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ling rushes don't work so well in SC2 =P.  

A lot of the old tactics from SC and SC:BW don't work as well or nearly correctly, or at all due to the new game mechanics.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ling rushes don't work so well in SC2 =P.  

A lot of the old tactics from SC and SC:BW don't work as well or nearly correctly, or at all due to the new game mechanics.

Yeah, zerg rushing doesn't really exist anymore. You have 6 pools which are an all in affair. If you beat the rush, you win. Zerg is entirely about late game superiority units and unit switching. The only time zerglings are any good is when you have a huge mutalisk army and the enemy has spent the last 10 minutes building an anti-air force.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish they'd 6 pool me i can stop that easy enough... its when they show up at the 25 minute mark with 40 broodlords and all I have is 6 tanks and 20 marines (this is an exaggeration) that i try to run myself through with my keyboard.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wish they'd 6 pool me i can stop that easy enough... its when they show up at the 25 minute mark with 40 broodlords and all I have is 6 tanks and 20 marines (this is an exaggeration) that i try to run myself through with my keyboard.

Man, I've played a couple games against the cpu and making even broodlords take forever lol.  

Maybe it's because I've not played in a extremely long time but god....it feels like it's so slow.  I don't see how anyone is able to play zerg that fast.

I'll keep practicing, maybe I can speed things up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah, you have to invest heavily in to Vikings to beat those Broodlords. The problem is that, once they see you've gone heavy Vikings they just switch to muta and win.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you have to invest heavily in to Vikings to beat those Broodlords. The problem is that, once they see you've gone heavy Vikings they just switch to muta and win.  

or 3-3 lings with adrenal glands and roll all your bases... the tech switch is so easy for zerg.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I still need to build a better computer so i can get back into playing that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Post replays
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I still need to build a better computer so i can get back into playing that.

really? I have a pretty decent gaming rig but i play SC2 on min settings just so i can get the FPS up to the point where lag(from my comp) cannot be an issue.

you should try that

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Post replays

oooo0oo0o0000oooo this could be embarrassing and fun.  Havn't played in a couple days due to long work days.  But i'll post a few replays on here for you guys to watch and laugh at.

How do i do this?  I mean i think i could figure out how to send them to you personally but how do i just link them here?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top