Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
XBOX
New games for PS2 and Xbox are about $50.00
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]

OK thinking about my first game thingy.

Which one is the best and why?depends on what u want yo play

Will all of them play regular DVDs, CDs, etc? ps2 does out of the boxfor dvd. Xbox requires a addon for dvd no dvd playback on GC

Will any of them play PC game CDs (I have a few already). No need games made for that system. ps2 is backwards compatable with ps1 thu.

Are games for all of them about the same price? for the most part but PS2 has lot of games for 20 bucks in there greatest hits library.(games that sold over a million copys or something like that  irc)

It really depends on what you want to play thu. I have a Ps2 becouse theres alot more decent RPGS and all the Rockstar Stuff comes out on ps2 first. Mahnhunt is a sweet game and its ps2 only. only Game on Xbox I want is Halo but thats now on pc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Steyr,
Don't screw this up.  I bought my boys one, ok, well it was for me too for thier birthdays last year.

Get an Xbox.

Gamecube is for kiddies, and is being discontinued.
PS2 is for teenagers, graphics aren't as good as Xbox, but they do have alot of games.  Problem is they don't have the greatest game ever concieved.......

HALO!!!!  You have to get this game when you get your Xbox.  It is fantastic.  Halo 2 is suppposed to come out in April.  It looks even better.

Xbox will play your DVDs, with an adaptor kit.  It also can be upgraded with a kit to play optical audio, and component video.  The sound and graphics are stunning in Halo with out this, but it only gets better.  Surround sound and Halo is pretty engrossing.

I'm probably a horrible parent for letting my four year old play, but he is getting pretty good at Halo.  My nine year old and my three year old and I play together.  We have a blast.  

Get the Xbox, you won't be sorry.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
He's right, Halo alone is worth making this decision over. But it helps that XBOX has great games. I have all three consoles, and if I could only keep one it would be XBOX. Gamecube gets ignored now, and PS2 is only waiting for Gran Turismo 4, but XBOX gets played very often.

Bad news is, all the best games are delayed until 2004 (Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, GT4, etc).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Halo 2 is supposed to be out [s]soon[/s] eventually on X-Box...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Halo 2 is supposed to be out [s]soon[/s] eventually on X-Box...
View Quote

April :(
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys, I'm thinking about getting my six year old daughter a game console for Christmas.

For ME, I'd prefer Xbox due to the higher performance platform and games.

My only concern however, is are there many Xbox games suitable for a six year old girl ???

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Gamecube has much better quality of games..

PS2 and Xbox has some nice online titles and stuff. But honestly, If i want to play online, I play a pc game, if I want to watch a dvd, listen to a cd, i use devices designed for that.

If I want to waste time playing fun console games, I go nintendo.

And it is NOT being discontinued.

Some people might say that they are kiddy games, but there are plenty of mature games around, and a game isn't kiddy just because it has bright colors anyway..

Just my 2 cents, might be biased cause I gre up on mario and zelda..
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My only concern however, is are there many Xbox games suitable for a six year old girl ???

Thanks for any info.
View Quote

There are a few...Blinx, Voodoo Vince, Sonic Heroes come to mind. But overall there would be many more choices for her on GameCube.

Of course, that's assuming she has typical 6-yo girl tastes. If she likes sports or driving xbox is fine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I want to waste time playing fun console games, I go nintendo.

And it is NOT being discontinued.
View Quote

Not on purpose, but third party developers are abandoning it. Nintendo is coming up with some strong xmas promotions to try to sell more consoles, but it's pobably too little too late. Nintendo WILL be the first to introduce their next-gen console.

There are a few killer games for it (Metroid Prime!) but overall it fell flat this round (going by the numbers, which is all third-party developers care about).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Nintendo is still making money off it though..

They may be the first to release the next gen system, or maybe not. I'm betting Sony will, but I could be wrong.

As for me, Nintendo could have no third parties and I'd still buy their system for mario and zelda games. However, the situation isn't at all close to being the dire one that you say it is.

Honestly, MS is doing much worse in the console market than nintendo, but MS has huge cash reserves, so they can afford some rough times perhaps. Then again, last I heard, Nintendo had 8 million in cash, so they can afford rough times as well. Sony probably has more riding on the console market than the other two companies. They hav let their mainstream consumer electronics business turn to shit recently, and the PS wing of the business has been keeping them afloat.

Course this is all off topic, as it has no relevance as to which is the better console.

My opinion is hard ware wise it goes like this:

Xbox - great hardware, but expensive.

gamecube - simple powerful hardware that does just what is needed, no extra fluff.

PS2 - overly complicated, under performing hardware.

Software it is the other way around though.

PS2 has the vast numbers of all types of games, gamecube has smaller number, but IMO, better quality titles, and Xbox has a few good games and a lot of crap. Halo is a good game and all, but I'd much rather play it on PC..
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Geez, this is the question I wanted to ask ARFCOM all last week while it was down, thanks to everyone for the replies to a topic that's not my own!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
None of them can touch first person multiplayer PC gaming.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Forget about them. You will get nothing useful out of it.

None of them comes close to you going to range and shooting your guns in person, and actually getting something out of it.

But if you must, play multiplayer computer games, like Americas Army or something.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
None of them can touch first person multiplayer PC gaming.
View Quote

That's why I say Gamecube.

I can get everything the other systems provide on PC, or something similar, or better. Except racing maybe, thats pretty much all I use my PS2 for.

You can't get stuff like the Gamecube has any other place. So that is pretty much why I pick GC..
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#16]
In addition to the previous comments, according to my son he's the gamer in my family, the Xbox can't play burned music CDs(cda files) created from your computer. PS2s can play burned CDs from your computer.

For Halo Xbox single player, my son says that it gets kind of boring. The Xbox Halo can play 2 players or multi-players thru the internet.

My son personally recommends the PS2 if you're going to play single player, and the Xbox for multi-player.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#17]
xbox can actually play 4 player halo or 8 player when you connect two machines.  My friends use one tv and one projector to do this.  I can't get used to using those damn controllers though.  I need to find a way to hook up a keyboard and mouse. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Will any of these be around in 4 years when my son is old enough? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#19]
upgrade your PC, nothing beats BF1942 multiplay
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#20]
get x-box
get mod chip
rent games and copy to now HUGE hard drive
never buy another game again
I have movies and over 60 games saved on my x-box and its not even 5% used.
X-box..learn it, love it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Ratters: the PS2 has built-in USB ports whereas the Xbox has none, so if you got a Xbox, you're out of luck in that department.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I think RS 3 is coming out for all systems..

But honestly, it is much better to play those types of games on a pc..
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does X Box have Rainbow Six 3?
View Quote

Oui.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#26]
It has an 8 gig harddrive as standard I believe.  You can copy music mp3s and such to it and listen to them as in-game music in most games.  Not big enough for putting games on really, you need to replace it for that.

What he was talking about is "cracking" the Xbox (with a added "Modchip" or various new hacks to mod the factory Bios chip), which allows you to add in a much bigger newer say 80 gig+ drive or something.  Which you can copy many many games over to.  Or it allows you to play burned DVDs/CDs, if you have a DVD burner you can copy games (via your Xbox's drive as a reader with a network between PC and Xbox).  Cracking it allows you to do all kinds of things other than the burned/copied games, like hook up a network and FTP to your computer, run emulators for old Nintendo and arcade games, watch VCDs and mpeg/divx movies on your TV, etc.  Lots of cool stuff.  However it all involves you cracking/hacking the Xbox.  After which I don't think you can use the Online component anymore, I believe it detects hacked boxes (used to, could be wrong now)...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
i went with an x box more speed more power better graphics  and yeah mod chips  you can get them for any platform but x box and mod chip and if your decent with computers well the possiblities are almost endless.  

a freind has ps2 with ghost recon  i played it and was amazed at how crappy the grapics where when i hooked up my x box and put in ghost recon for it   my freind was amazed at how much better the sounds graphics speed etc was.  

and if i remmber right there are "stealth mod chips"  for x box that will let you play online.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In addition to the previous comments, according to my son he's the gamer in my family, the Xbox can't play burned music CDs(cda files) created from your computer. PS2s can play burned CDs from your computer.
View Quote

Maybe there was something wrong with his CDs or something.  My PC burned CDs work just fine on my Xbox.

Rainbow Six 3 is pretty good, haven't finished it yet due to the latest Project Gotham Racing 2 that just came out.  That is one hell of a great racing game, highly reccomend that one to anyone with an Xbox.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Polyak:Hmmmm.... Thanks for the warning, my son did buy it 2nd hand, so I'll bring up the issue with him, I think its still under warranty.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Like I tell everybody, Xbox sucks.  It's really a choice between Gamecube or a Playstation 2.  I like to stay loyal to nintendo and I LOVE a lot of gamecube games with a passion.  Sorry to say I don't know what a PSP is but the only console that compares to gamecube is PS2.  PS2 plays DVDs and it has a larger selection of games and you can play over the net on it.  I would say go with a PS2 but gamecube is also very good.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Like I tell everybody, Xbox sucks.....
View Quote

Good thing you didn't become a lawyer..

Could you supply some supporting data for your arguments ? Do you think the platform sucks due to lack of performance, features, etc ? Is it the software that sucks ??? If so, how ?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Go with the xbox. Ones you MOD it....Let just say, you can do any thing with it. ANYTHING!

[url=]http://www.xbox-scene.com/[/url]

TechTV's Link:
[url=]http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3420925,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go with the xbox. Ones you MOD it....Let just say, you can do any thing with it. ANYTHING!

[url=]http://www.xbox-scene.com/[/url]

TechTV's Link:
[url=]http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3420925,00.html[/url]
View Quote

Except, get it repaired by Microsoft if it needs servicing.
View Quote

I'm sad to inform you onec your 90 day warranity is over, Microsoft WILL NOT REPLACE IT. You have a better chance fo getting hit by lighting then messing it up with some of the chips out there (I.E. XBIT chip)
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#35]
SteyrAug...

As a 36yr old father of 4 kids, class 3 owner, a builder of 1000hp engines, and an owner/driver of a drag car that goes 8.40's @ 160mph in the 1/4 mile, I'd like to think I'm somewhat familiar with "What's cool" and "What's not"...

The Xbox is COOL.
PERIOD.

First game I'd get is "Mech Assault"
Then I'd buy an "Xbox Live startup kit" for playing online via high speed internet.
The Xbox live startup kit also includes a headset and microphone so you can speak to the other players (in realtime) while you get your ass kicked...

That should keep you busy for awile...

It took me WEEKS to beat the game on single player mode. It's fun as all hell.

After I got the Xbox hooked to my DSL, I called my brother in Mooresville,NC and told him to buy this game...

He bought EXACTLY what I just suggested.

I can sit here in my livingroom in Reading,PA and play against him online while he sits in Mooresville,NC...

Another benefit of being online with the Xbox, is you can download and save new/extra levels for certain games.

I won't bash the PS2 either. I own BOTH, but much prefer the Xbox...

When you get your shit gathered up, drop me an email and I'll put you on my "Friends list" Then I can invite you to a good ass whippin online. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#36]
XBOX all the way.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:33:58 AM EDT
[#38]
After reading this thread lastnight, I put Ghost Recon Thunder Island in the XBOX.  Downloaded a few new maps and went crazy with the M249 (SAW).  Oh what fun!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SteyrAug...

As a 36yr old father of 4 kids, class 3 owner, a builder of 1000hp engines, and an owner/driver of a drag car that goes 8.40's @ 160mph in the 1/4 mile, I'd like to think I'm somewhat familiar with "What's cool" and "What's not"...

The Xbox is COOL.
PERIOD.

First game I'd get is "Mech Assault"
Then I'd buy an "Xbox Live startup kit" for playing online via high speed internet.
The Xbox live startup kit also includes a headset and microphone so you can speak to the other players (in realtime) while you get your ass kicked...

That should keep you busy for awile...

It took me WEEKS to beat the game on single player mode. It's fun as all hell.

After I got the Xbox hooked to my DSL, I called my brother in Mooresville,NC and told him to buy this game...

He bought EXACTLY what I just suggested.

I can sit here in my livingroom in Reading,PA and play against him online while he sits in Mooresville,NC...

Another benefit of being online with the Xbox, is you can download and save new/extra levels for certain games.

I won't bash the PS2 either. I own BOTH, but much prefer the Xbox...

When you get your shit gathered up, drop me an email and I'll put you on my "Friends list" Then I can invite you to a good ass whippin online. [:D]
View Quote

Oh a challenge... [:D]

I think it's gonna have to be XBOX, sounds like I need to get my crew online too.
View Quote

You won't be disappointed...

Comparing an Xbox to a PS2 is like comparing an M16 to an AK47...

Apples and oranges...

WELL ???

Did you buy one yet ??? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#40]
We just got the XBOX and it IS COOL. Got the adapter to play DVD's too. I don't think you can go wrong with XBOX.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I have PS2 & Xbox Steyr, stop by sometime & I'll show ya what both look like on an hdtv.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't have any idea what you people are talking about.  I just got done playing Q-Bert on my Atari 2600.

That's what I recommend.  It's been entertaining me for years.

[:D]
View Quote

Boy does that bring back memories...[:D]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=7187&iGalleryUnq=901&iImageUnq=20399[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top