Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 10:47:31 AM EDT
If I want to use one of my PCs laying around as an e-mail server (I already have the Domain and DNS servers that point to my static IP), does the machine need to be "in front" of my router?  If it does, will adding a second networking card to the machine be all in need to do to allow machines that are behind the server to connect to the internet?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I am assuming that by "in front", you mean between the internet and your router. The answer is no, it does not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am assuming that by "in front", you mean between the internet and your router. The answer is no, it does not.

Yes between my DSL modem and the router.  So if my server machine is connected to the router, how will the router know that incoming e-mails/web traffic should be routed to the server machine and not the pc that I work on?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#3]
forward tcp port 25 to your email server and you are fine
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
forward tcp port 25 to your email server and you are fine

Poviding your ISP doesn't block port 25 traffic.  Many do this unless you pay for their "business" service.  They also block incoming traffic on port 80, 8080, 23, 110, and 119.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top