Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2004 1:32:27 PM EDT
What is the verdict on service pack 2? Does it cause any problems?

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No problems here...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Other than it took forever to download and install, not a problem.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I had, literally, no discernible problems with XP.  Now that I have installed SP2 I have problems with frequent hangups, especially when shutting down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Downloaded it , installed, try to brun a cd, no go, updated program, no go, Got tired of the pop up telling me to trun on auto updates. Tryed some other programs I have, wouldn't work. Computer is a AMD 3200xp, was running like my old PII 333. I uninstalled, rebooted, computer is working fast and burning program works.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't installed it because a lot of people said they had major slow downs with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9).  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
ive heard problems with AMD athlon processors? anyone have experience with this?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
It will enable your firewall as well
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ive heard problems with AMD athlon processors? anyone have experience with this?

i have an AMD i havent had a problem yet no hang ups or anything like that
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Installed with no probs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I refuse to install it on my home computer or the computers I maintain at work.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a firewall and virus protection already I don' t think you need it.  If I could do it over again I would not install it.  I have most features disabled anyway, and the security fixes are available without the service pack.   I could see how a novice could feel it messed things up, but really all it does is activate features already present and give a new interface to control the things like auto-update(which is really a pipeline for MS to dump all their crap that they think you need)

It was an attempt for microsoft to put something "new" out while they work the bugs out of their next OS.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I updated my laptop to SP2 and it runs a bit smoother than before the update.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I installed it with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I put it in and everything went fubar

I had to do a system restore.

Not good for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
i had problems with it. but here is how i fixed it.  My computer would bootm then reboot then scandicsk and then reboot.  never atucally booted. kept in that nasty cycle.  i fixed it by reformatting my hd as NTFS instead of fat32.  Reinstalled windows and then the upgrade.  runs very smooth now.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I had no problems at all.  Before you update you need to see if your PC's BIOS needs to be updated and if any HW driver updates are required.  You should also run  Ad-aware SE, SpyBot S&D, delete temp/cache files and defrag your HD before updating.  You may also want to defrag after the update is applied.

You won't have much choice about updating because at some point MS will only release fixes for SP2 updated systems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]
The first time I downloaded it .......It locked me up tighter than a virgin on Saturday night.............had to get tech support and was on the phone for 4 hrs cleaning out SP2 and reinstalling Windows XP.......The second time was no problems what so ever.!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I've installed it (1 month ago) and haven't had a problem.

I develop on my OS installation and based on the numerous complaints with this SP, I was at high risk for several problems. I researched work arounds, etc until I was satisfied that I was prepared. The main culprit is turning on the built-in firewall. That can always be easily turned off, but is not recommended by MS. MS has a document that describes how to disable specific settings to get a variety a programs working (with known issues). They do not recommend or support these changes however. Just temporary adjustments until you can figure out how you can get your app working correctly in the SP2 environment.

FYI, for those sitting on the fence about installing this SP, MS is currently attempting to set Windows XP SP2 as the baseline for future support.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Have had installed since early August.

Installed without a single problem. I keep all my drivers up to date and make sure software had all their patches applied before installing. Working real smooth, and I didn't have any device problems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn.. i voted wrong.  i meant to say SP2 is A ok
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No problems here...

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No problems here and Im running an Athlon processor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I put it in and everything went fubar

I had to do a system restore.

Not good for me.

ouch!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
No problems here...

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I have put it on over 500 PCs...problems with 2.  And what is this about W2K service packs causing problems....I have put those on 1000's of PCs with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I heard of tons of problems... I finally installed and experienced no issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I have installed SP2 on over 25 machines including laptops now without a single problem.

From what I gather talking to others that work with PCs my guess the percentage of people having problems is well less than 5%.

You see a lot of BS in the press about problems with SP2 but when you look close at most of the articles buried ¾ of the way in you will find a statement saying the vast majority of people are have no problems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Listening to a tech show guy on the radio yesterday and he said most of the people who are having problems with SP2 probably had underlining problems with their systems all ready such as poorly designed uninstall software for programs.   He stated he has seen no people with fresh systems have any problems.   I have an AMD and Intel and have had zero problems with either system.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Only problem in our environment (so far in common knowledge anyway), is that it breaks our current VPN client.  There is a workaround for that, but it requires a manual entry on each and every machine.  So far, we are unable to script a repair.  Only thing from keeping me from deploying SP2.

Once we migrate to our new VPN solution, we will authorize SP2 for deployment to our 200,000 end user base.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]
i can't install, everytime i go to MS's site to upgrade, i get this:

"Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use Windows Update."

maybe it's my kernel version. ;)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#32]
+2

Quoted:

Quoted:
No problems here...

+1

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#33]
No problems on my end .. I sent for the disc . way to big to load on dial up
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
+3
MCK
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use Windows Update."

Go to the MS web site and order the free SP2 CD, they will ship it to your door free. You can also get it as a downloadable file at the MS site.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#36]
SP2 works fine for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to the MS web site and order the free SP2 CD, they will ship it to your door free. You can also get it as a downloadable file at the MS site.

He's running Linux.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:41:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I am running XP Pro on a Dell that is only about 6 months old.

I loaded SP2 and my internet connection(cable) runs SLOW, Hangs up to the point where I have to reboot, lost my CD drives, and numerous other malfunctions.

How do I get rid of this thing????
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:30:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've installed it (1 month ago) and haven't had a problem.

I develop on my OS installation and based on the numerous complaints with this SP, I was at high risk for several problems. I researched work arounds, etc until I was satisfied that I was prepared. The main culprit is turning on the built-in firewall. That can always be easily turned off, but is not recommended by MS. MS has a document that describes how to disable specific settings to get a variety a programs working (with known issues). They do not recommend or support these changes however. Just temporary adjustments until you can figure out how you can get your app working correctly in the SP2 environment.

FYI, for those sitting on the fence about installing this SP, MS is currently attempting to set Windows XP SP2 as the baseline for future support.

Hell yes I'm going to turn off the built-in firewall when my home network already has a hardware firewall.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Service pack 2 was NO problem for me at all, not even a little bit, BUT....

I'm running LINUX, so, *smirk* WHAT service pack 2???? I feel for you Winblows guys...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Service pack 2 was NO problem for me at all, not even a little bit, BUT....

I'm running LINUX, so, *smirk* WHAT service pack 2???? I feel for you Winblows guys...

Not to turn this into a linux windows debate, but linux has security patches as well
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#42]
installed on many PC's- no problems
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
...most of the people who are having problems with SP2 probably had underlining problems with their systems all ready such as poorly designed uninstall software for programs.....

+1...and or possibly overun with spyware.  Spyware NEEDS to be removed before installing SP2.

No problems with SP2 here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#44]
About half of the two year-old Dells we have wouldn't boot after installing SP2.  They required a reinstall from the CD.  100% of both our new and older Dells lost their activation after installing SP2.  They worked (relatively-speaking) after doing the system restore to get rid of SP2.  SP2 also clobbered the activation on some of our copies of Office XP.  I still don't have our three new Dell laptops back working.  I've been waiting about six weeks on Dell to get the media to me so I can do a reinstall.  I'd just go buy two new copies of XP, but I hate the idea of giving Microsoft $300 more for something that's their fault.

After the pain in the neck SP2 has been, we bought 10 iBook's last week.  We paid less than $100 more for them than we did our last set of Dell laptops.  They're worth every penny more.  It took me some time to install Thunderbird (e-mail client), Firefox(web browser), and Open Office on each of them and about 30 minutes with each user to get them started, but they're going to save a lot of time in the long run.  OO even opens many older Word documents that Word XP can't.  We're making good money now converting about 20,000 Word documents to a readable format for a couple of customers.z
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am running XP Pro on a Dell that is only about 6 months old.

I loaded SP2 and my internet connection(cable) runs SLOW, Hangs up to the point where I have to reboot, lost my CD drives, and numerous other malfunctions.

How do I get rid of this thing????

Did you follow the instructions on the Dell site prior to updating?

What to Do Before You Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)   Critical Information Added

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:56:36 AM EDT
[#46]
no problems here - 3 computers
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#47]
It can be a pain in the A$$ but it does go a long way to helping with spyware and other security problems.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#48]
On a few dozen non-networked machines that I personally did, the SP2 issues I ran into around 5%.  There's another 100 machines* of clients I've worked with that got hosed by SP2 in one way or another.  Rolling back to SP1 got them up and running, and for those that wanted to continue, we reinstalled SP2 without much incident.  A few of them couldn't restore and we reinstalled the OS.

Industry news had an initial "go get SP2", but the next week, the front page news was "SP2: Fixing the fix" and "Windows users put on defensive by SP2."  Microsoft acknowledged there were "inconsistent issues with breakage."  That basically means that after SP2 was installed, it should work ok, but it might not and your favorite software may not work for you.  Microsoft ran a list on their website for software titles that might be "broken" due to SP2.  They've taken the list down, but at one point, there were over 200 software titles, including many of Microsoft's own software products.

Most people are going to be ok with the upgrade to SP2, but if a ~5% failure rate is too high (which I think is rather dismal for a major OS patch), I'm mirroring many other companies, ISP's, etc. and saying...wait for SP2.1 (or whatever they'll call it).

Oh, and on 2000, I never had issues even close to this magnitude.  Linux or Mac either.

* This "100 machines" isn't comparative since I only work with broken machines.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Before you install SP2, hot fixes, service packs or any other upgrade you need to have at least two recovery methods.  If you don't have your system and data backed up in an easily restorable form what are you going to do if the next time you power up and your hard drive crashes and burns?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Worked fine eventually, but had a few problems with ZoneAlarm firewall- my cable connection would freeze at random and require a reboot to clear.  There are some issues with version 5, but 4.5 is stable - go to the Zone Labs service and support user forum and read a while before installing SP2.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top