Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/21/2002 5:48:49 PM EST
AS a limey living here in Mexico, I cannot legally own any firearms. However, that may not always be the case. I firmly believe that a pump shotgun is the best for home defence. However, if I were to consider a rifle, what would you SHTF experts recommend? And, why would I choose an AR15 over an AK47? I am/was familiar with FN/FALS, H$K's, but not the AR15. I mention the SHTF scenario because, in my experience, you really need something that you know will work (fire) in every situation, even when abused. And when even the U.S. Army's assessement of the AKM is that it is fully functional after totall immersion in mud and water, I wonder which is best – let's say out to 300m, without any star-trek optics?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:00:29 PM EST
AR15s are more reliable and accurate than AKs. It's true that AKs can handle more abuse than ARs, but did you ever fired an AK? They are not nearly as accurate as an AR, and they are meat tenderizers! Also, the 5.56mm has better ballistics than the 7.62X39mm, thus making it the superior round.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:01:42 PM EST
Well, ummmm, BWWWWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA !!!!! [whacko] [stick]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:05:54 PM EST
What a great topic! I'm really interested to hear the responses, because this question is not only one that appears at a rate of roughly once/week, but also because the author of the thread is concerned about "SHTF". Good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:35:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By stcyr: AS a limey living here in Mexico, I cannot legally own any firearms. However, that may not always be the case. I firmly believe that a pump shotgun is the best for home defence. However, if I were to consider a rifle, what would you SHTF experts recommend? And, why would I choose an AR15 over an AK47? I am/was familiar with FN/FALS, H$K's, but not the AR15. I mention the SHTF scenario because, in my experience, you really need something that you know will work (fire) in every situation, even when abused. And when even the U.S. Army's assessement of the AKM is that it is fully functional after totall immersion in mud and water, I wonder which is best – let's say out to 300m, without any star-trek optics?
View Quote
Acquire and learn to use what everybody else has in your area. That way, parts and ammuntion will be easier and plentiful to find.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:55:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:01:03 PM EST
don't most of the military in mexico use M-16's? seems like that would be your best bet for shtf because of the abundance of 5.56mm but if you ask me the shit has been hiting the fan in mexico for a very long time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:44:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2002 8:48:18 PM EST by raven]
Originally Posted By ar15_newbie: AR15s are more reliable.......than AKs.
View Quote
bullshit. This is just flat-out untrue. That could have come from the mouth of Bill Clinton. Say what you will about the Ak. The one, undeniable verity and virtue of it is its ruggedness and reliabilty, which far surpasses the AR rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:52:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By stcyr: I wonder which is best – let's say out to 300m, without any star-trek optics?
View Quote
That's easy, the AR-15. And I think you're right about the shotgun being a good overall civilian defense weapon. As long as it's maintained conscientiously, the AR is a great weapon, and probably the better choice since most western militaries and police forces have weapons chambered for 5.56mm. BTW, why do you call yourself St. Cyr? Did you attend that academy?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:54:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1911greg: don't most of the military in mexico use M-16's? seems like that would be your best bet for shtf because of the abundance of 5.56mm but if you ask me the shit has been hiting the fan in mexico for a very long time.
View Quote
The Mexican troops I saw carried G-3's, made under license in Mexico. The cops carried shotguns.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:59:59 PM EST
For home defence, a smallbore rifle or shotgun are best - when coupled with a good sidearm (in the event you are "relieved" of the longarm, or don't have the room to bring the longarm into play. It can be easier to retain a sidearm as well...) Advantages of a shotgun are usually related to ammunition - tho there is a significant psychological effect to hearing a slide racked behind you in the dark... I suggest about a #4 buck for home defence, as it gives a large enough pellet for effective force transfer, while minimising overpenetration of walls. Also, the #4 buck load is more "fault-tolerant" than the 00, given the larger number of pellets. For the small calibre rifle, the advantages are similar. There are more fragmenting bullets available factory for .224" rifles than anything else, and the pricing for ammo is right. The advantage to a fragmenting/frangible bullet is the same as a shotgun load - minimising overpenetration of walls and possibly hitting someone outside your home. However, you lose the "area effect" that you have with the shotgun, so you will wnat far more practise to maintain proficiency - the shotgun is more forgiving. Either way, I would still recommend (especiall if you live in a rural setting!) having a good sidearm to accompany the use of your shotgun/rifle. FFZ
Top Top