Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 3:57:20 PM EDT
This is a quiz:

Who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994?

For full credit, justify the award in your own words.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Arafat.  And there's no way I could possibly justify why he won the award.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The prize was awarded joinly to:

YASSER ARAFAT , Chairman of the Executive Committee of the PLO, President of the Palestinian National Authority.

SHIMON PERES , Foreign Minister of Israel.

YITZHAK RABIN , Prime Minister of Israel.

for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East.

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to add this:  [whacko]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Rabin?  Wasn't he the one an Israeli right-wing military officer murdered to prevent the peace accords from being implemented??
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
On September 13, 1993, at the signing of the Israeli-Palestinian Declaration of Principles on the White House lawn, Prime Minister Rabin shook hands with PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat.

On October 26, 1994, on the Israel-Jordan border, he signed the Treaty of Peace between the State of Israel and the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.

On September 28, 1995, he was a signatory to the Israeli-Palestinian Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated on November 4th 1995, while attending a peace rally in Tel-Aviv.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated on November 4th 1995, while attending a peace rally in Tel-Aviv.
View Quote

. . . shot in the back by an Israeli ultra-right-wing Jewish fundamentalist, Yigal Amir, who was a hardliner opposed to the peace process.

My mistake, he wasn't in the military.  (Although I assume he did the usual mandatory military service -- [url=http://www.biu.ac.il/Spokesman/Rabin/jpost-nov6-1995.html]this page[/url] mentions he "did his military service in the [i]hesder[/i] yeshiva framework", but I'm not sure what this means.)

Benjamin Netanyahu, the leader of the faction that had opposed Rabin, was narrowly elected as Rabin's sucessor.  Netanyahu proceeded to delay and obstruct the peace process, leading to the situation we have today.

This article provides some interesting perspective:
[url]http://www.doublemirrors.com/Rabin.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Post from 71-Hour_Achmed -
Netanyahu proceeded to delay and obstruct the peace process, leading to the situation we have today.
View Quote

If I'm not mistaken, no Israelis died as the result of Palestinian terrorist actions during his term as Prime Minister.

Since he was elected by Israelis, I suppose that he performed as his constituents hoped.

It was only internal scandal that brought his government down.

Nothing more.

The second 'Intifadah', began in Sept. 2000, in the administration of Ehud Barak.

Go figure!

Eric The(BarakWasCasperMilquetoastAndYetHeGotAnIntifadahForHisEfforts!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
For extra credit, who was Bill with in the Oval office while the other people were waiting for him on the lawn, and what was she doing?

[thinking]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The prize was awarded joinly to:

YASSER ARAFAT , Chairman of the Executive Committee of the PLO, President of the Palestinian National Authority.

SHIMON PERES , Foreign Minister of Israel.

YITZHAK RABIN , Prime Minister of Israel.

for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East.

View Quote

Yes, these are the 1994 winners, and you are the winner of partial quiz credit.  Isn't this amazing?  I think that you quoted from the Nobel site, and so won't acccept "for their efforts to create peace in the Middle East." as a justification.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#10]
"did his military service in the hesder yeshiva framework"

Israeli draft law allows those studying Torah full time to avoid military service.

This goes back to the beginning of the IDF, the exception is designed to ensure future Rabbis are not distracted from their learning.

Concequently, it has become a loophole for many Orthodox to dodge service by claiming they're in Rabbinic training.

Amir was a member of the "Kach" party - about as extreme as it can get.  They built a shrine outside the mosque that madman shot up a few years ago.  The Knesset outlawed Kach in '88.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For extra credit, who was Bill with in the Oval office while the other people were waiting for him on the lawn, and what was she doing?

[thinking]
View Quote

Monica - Getting a blow job!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Rabin was also Prime Minister earlier in Israels history and ordered the famous rescue at Entebbe Airport. We should have had them rescue our hostages in Iran, but thats another story.
Also Natanyau [sp], the former PM had a brother in the rescue at Entebbe, he was the only Israeli soldier killed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#13]
And Albright has the gall to question GW's foreign policy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top