Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 12:17:12 PM EDT
I have a website and I recently bought a new domain and bought space with a hosting company so i am having to commute my files to this new server. However, I was wondering what any of you "professional" or advanced website designers use to build your sites? Do you just code in HTML or do you use some kind of web editor?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Look into an application called Front Page. It might be worth your time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Dream Weaver when used properly, can make some really kickass pages. Flash pages can also look great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Notepad only is l337.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I don't agree with the Frontpage advice. There are a lot better products out there. If you must use a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) try Dreamweaver. I personally use Photoshop/Illustrator for my graphics and buttons and notepad for my HTML editor.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Notepad only is l337.

agreed! my first ever website i did entirely on notepad, i use front page now though
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Notepad only is l337.

Notepad only is for l4m3rs.    vi only is l337  .
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Notepad only is l337.

agreed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Notepad only is l337.

agreed.

I've always said, if there is one program anyone should learn, it's vi.

:wq!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Mambo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Notepad only is l337.

*cough* EMACS *cough*
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
if you're a unix/linux person, VI is the only way to go.

if you're a windoz person, notepad.

if you're in a hurry, dreamweaver

if you're lame, frontpage

if you're uber-lame, MS-Word's "save as html"
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
emacs/vi/pico/notepad and PHP.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever you do, don't use FrontPage.

I learned with it and still use it on one of our sites. It is very easy to learn as a beginner but you'll pick up some remarkably bad habits particularly if you use the 'server extensions'.

If you want to go WYSIWYG, buy Dreamweaver.

If you think you'll ever get a site that's bigger than a couple of pages and more than 80-100mb in size you'll be *very* glad you did. Trust me on this.

If all you're doing is a family page, or small business info page it doesn't really matter. All I'm saying is to be aware...it's just weird how things have a tendency to grow beyond your initial expectations so plan for it.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+ 1 billion

eta: Frontpage is easy and makes professional pages. Dont make things harder on yourself, get frontpage 2003
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Notepad only is l337.

agreed! my first ever website i did entirely on notepad, i use front page now though

That's all I've ever used, but my webpages are not particularly fancy
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Anything but Frontpage and MS Word. Preferably, learn HTML and CSS and any applicable scripting languages required, and do it by hand in your text editor of choice. You'll have less problems and come out with a better looking, working, and coded site.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't agree with the Frontpage advice. There are a lot better products out there. If you must use a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) try Dreamweaver. I personally use Photoshop/Illustrator for my graphics and buttons and notepad for my HTML editor.

Is the Photoshop Illustrator included in the "Adobe Photoshop CS" package? This is what I have been wondering about: how to create icons and stuff without using a picture. I have only been able to put text over pictures because I don't know how to just pull up a new blank file.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Also.. what is "vi"??

This is my webpage so far, that is, at my old domain and without using CSS which I am trying to get into

Summer of 76

However, I'm going to change the layout and the scope of the sight so that it's not based around a forum, I'm going to integrate the forum using my hosting company's options, and make it a more politically motivated site with a forum add on.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Also.. what is "vi"??

vi is a text editor for Unix.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck FP, use Dreamweaver for the HTML and Fireworks to optimize and/or animate images.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]
is"vi" compatible with Windows?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#23]
There are ports for windows. But it will save you time (and frustration) to use Notepad.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Whatever you do, don't use FrontPage.

+Eleventy Hundred bazillion

Front Page is the WORST program for building a website. If you want to guarantee a site full of holes, and guarantee that if something goes wrong it will be impossible to fix (and anyone that you call for help won't want to touch it because it's built in Front Page) then do it. No professional (or knowledgeable amateur) worth his salt will use this dog crap program.

I use Dreamweaver primarily. A lot of people like Adobe GoLive too.

Quoted:
Is the Photoshop Illustrator included in the "Adobe Photoshop CS" package? This is what I have been wondering about: how to create icons and stuff without using a picture. I have only been able to put text over pictures because I don't know how to just pull up a new blank file.

Photoshop and Illustrator are separate programs, if you need both programs AND a web editor, it might be worth it to look into the Adobe Creative Suite which is going to give you Photoshop, Illustrator, Go Live and InDesign for about $1200 ... that seems steep, but purchased individually 3 of those programs would run you around $1500, so it's like getting a discount pplus some extra features ... If you have any way of getting Academic Pricing you can save HUGE money and get the whol package for less than $400. If you know anybody that's a teacher, or a student (heck you could even enroll in your local community college and take a basic HTML course just to get the student ID) all you need is usually a student or faculty ID.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
What is with this "use a text editor" bullshit?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#26]
What version of DreamWeaver should I get?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm no pro, and I usually just hack other peoples scripts (from HotScripts usually)
into something I want, but I use.

Magum studio light for PHP Here

Top Style for CSS Here

And Dreamweaver sometime just for editing, not creating.

I've learned to use use CSS for everything, for a much faster loading site.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#28]
That's another question I have. Isn't PHP just another language like HTML or Java? I mean, it's just some other way of creating the same thing? I'm relatively new to site editing and creating (like <2 mos.) so I'm wondering what I should settle with. I want to get into CSS to develop more orderly sites and make it easier to quickly edit styles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I would suggest Eighther Dreamweaver, or IBM Homepage Builder, out of the 2 I would suggest homepage builder, I find it vertually idiot proof, and even easier then dream weaver it's what I'm useing now....

If you want to try Dream Weaver you can get a free 30 day trial at:

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Yea, and purchasing cocaine helps struggling peasants in Columbia... but you don't seem to be overly generous in contributing to their cause
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
ignore this post....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Dreamweaver 4 or up will do it for you, if you have an older computer, there's no need to have the latest version, I use MX here.

You can get a DW 30 days free FULL VERSION trial on Macromedia's website
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#34]
HTML will suffice for static pages, if you gonna have some programming involved, you have some options, perl, asp, php, etc.

You can also go with DHTML for other kind of dinamic pages.

There's a TO of options, key is wht you wanna do so you don't complicate yourself innecesarily

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't use DHTML, Java, Javascript, Flash, ActiveX, audio, video, etc needlessly. Use it only if it provides useful or interesting content.

Useful or interesting content is not:

Java Buttons
DHTML menus
Flash Menus
Java Applets that display images
99% of Javascripts you will find on Javascript pages.

It makes your site more readable and usable. And it makes you look like a better web designer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Don't use DHTML, Java, Javascript, Flash, ActiveX, audio, video, etc needlessly. Use it only if it provides useful or interesting content.

Useful or interesting content is not:

Java Buttons
DHTML menus
Flash Menus
Java Applets that display images
99% of Javascripts you will find on Javascript pages.

It makes your site more readable and usable. And it makes you look like a better web designer.

+1
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Personally, I use Nushphere PHPed. Hands down, the finest php ide on the planet.

Other than that, I use vi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top