Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2002 5:19:12 PM EDT
Hey guys I need help.  I bought a house and I pulled the wallpaper done in the dining room, but it came down really hard and it left some type of green residue that gets tacky on the wall when wet.  The problem is I don't know how to get the stuff off, 80 grit sand paper barely touches the stuff.   I suspect it may be the old wall paper paste, but how do I get rid of it.  Thanx in advance, Jeff
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to your local hardware store, find the biggest brush they have (about 7 inches wide, 2 inches thick or so should suffice, costs about $20 to $30), take a stiff painter's scraper (the scraper is stiff, not the painter, as opposed to those el cheapo easy-flex ones...scrapers again), get a bucket filled with water...now that you have all you need, dip the brush into the water, let it drip for a few seconds, slap the wet brush at the residue and rub it in. (Would really be easier to show you how). First you soak the wall by "painting" it with the water, then you rub it, sort of by holding the brush sideways and broadside, so the bristles touch the wall with almost their full length. Rub, brush, mop.(dammit, I'm tempted to send you a drawing how to hold the brush) Anyway, after fumbling around thus for while, you may scrape the stuff off. Repeat as needed, ask me if anything is unclear.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife uses a mix of water and vinegar to take that shit off the walls.....

Douche away!!!

It works real well.

She puts it in a spray bottle and a small plastic putty knife.

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
They sell stripper for that in Homo Depot or Lowes.  Get yourself a garden sprayer or roller and spray\roll that shit on and wipe it off.  It works really well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go to your local hardware store, find the biggest brush they have (about 7 inches wide, 2 inches thick or so should suffice, costs about $20 to $30), take a stiff painter's scraper (the scraper is stiff, not the painter, as opposed to those el cheapo easy-flex ones...scrapers again), get a bucket filled with water...now that you have all you need, dip the brush into the water, let it drip for a few seconds, slap the wet brush at the residue and rub it in. (Would really be easier to show you how). First you soak the wall by "painting" it with the water, then you rub it, sort of by holding the brush sideways and broadside, so the bristles touch the wall with almost their full length. Rub, brush, mop.(dammit, I'm tempted to send you a drawing how to hold the brush) Anyway, after fumbling around thus for while, you may scrape the stuff off. Repeat as needed, ask me if anything is unclear.
View Quote

This is just great.  Now we're going to have something from ETH talking about why you know so much about paperhanging, etc.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanx for the suggestions, Kar98 I'll definitely try the water thing.   Jeff
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They sell stripper for that in Homo Depot or Lowes.  Get yourself a garden sprayer or roller and spray\roll that shit on and wipe it off.  It works really well.
View Quote

I used DIF to get the wallpaper off but it didn't seem to touch the green stuff.  Jeff
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[how to remove old wallpaper
View Quote

This is just great.  Now we're going to have something from ETH talkin about why you know so much about paperhanging, etc.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Vell, was is zee problem wif dat, mein Herr?

[img]http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/ah.jpg[/img]

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
bwahaahahah....hey, that was pretty quick - did I walk into a set-up??

I guess if someone took a picture of me with a woody, I'd show some attitude, too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#9]
OK Simple answer. Green stuff on the wall is prep coat from a previous installation. Wash walls thoroughly to remove all paste residue. Ignore the green stuff that remains. Let dry. Sand lightly. Full prime with 100% acrylic like Benjamin Moore Fresh Start. Repaint 1 or 2 coats to cover as required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top