Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2001 8:21:16 PM EDT
Quick question: what is the vision requirements for the army/navy/marines? Is there a vision requirement for non-combative positions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless your eyesight is REAL dicked up, you shouldnt have a problem. If it's correctable to 20/20, you should be ok.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
My eyesight is pretty dicked up. Weird thing though, I shoot very well with open sights and scopes. Might be because I'm nearsighted and can focus on the front sight easily.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
what....not wandering about the Air Force.  oh well.  im not for sure about the exact measurement but the AF let me in.  i have to where glasses to see but is corectable 20/20.  i cannot be color blind to preform my job though.  2A7X1 Aircraft Metals Technology.  we have to distinguish between different colors in molten weld metals.  ill ask for an answer to your question though
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I do know that the Army has a vision requirement to be in the infantry.  If your vision does not qualify, you can be in support.  That's all I can tell you, just ask a recruiter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
As a guy who was rejected from the Army national guard, regular army and the Navy I can tell you that if you have any uncorrectable vision problems in either eye you can forget it. I sustained an eye injury to my left eye at age 14 which left me with about 1/4 of the vision in that eye I used to have. I can still see out of it but it's like looking thru a fog, I also still have good peripheral vision in that eye. My right eye has better than perfect vision as well as is my right index finger(hint hint), I wanted to be an engineer or a sniper blow things up or take out targets from long distance but OH NO this red blooded american patriot has to sit and watch it all on the news. Sorry guys for my rambling but it still p#sses me off at age 30.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I too wanted to be a sniper, but when I learned that I couldn't pass the vision test, I thought that I could at least either do weapons repair or be a medic (I'm an EMT). So much for serving my counrty. Guess I'll just have to wait for the fight to come to my backyard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW...took a color test once a long time back for a Coastie rating (civilian) and failed big-time. Found an old optometrist who had several kinds of tests which could be used and, lo and behold ; there is one where one block is set on one end of a rack and another color is on the other, you fill in the middle to blend from the first to the last. Passed that one fairly easily. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
In the Navy as long as you're are correctable to 20/40 you're all good. You also have to pass the color test to get most of the technical jobs. Otherwise you are in supply, postal(ship serviceman), admin, or boatswain mate, type jobs.

For pilots you have to pass color test. Have 20/20 vision going into flight school. After flight school as long as you are correctable to 20/20 you can still fly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
There are new forms of laser surgery that will correct vision defects which previously could not be corrected.  Expect bad night vision, glaring from oncoming car headlights etc as a common side effect.  Might let you pass a vision test - or might also exclude you on the basis of having had laser eye surgery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top