Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2005 10:09:42 PM EDT
Listening to Hallowed Ground right now...any interest?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You need some AC/DC or something, man.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Femmes fan here! "like a blister in the sun"...

lol

myit
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You need some AC/DC or something, man.

I love AC/DC.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I like them both
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Femmes fan here! "like a blister in the sun"...

lol

myit

How about "killing an Arab"?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Best Femmes song is "add it up". That song rocks!! Throw some pennywise in later.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
"Killing an Arab"
was by The Cure
wrong band
Great Song!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
That band sux ass!  A highly over rated prom fest. Here's my .02 worth...

- Their vocals are identifiable mono-tone.    ...ohhhh pullll-eeeeze!

- The lyrical content? It identifies with your average male, sent off to college looking for a wet dream adventure. The feel? Well, it's weakly backed with a "punk rock" wanna be anthem that blabs on for hours. Kinda like some retards would after doing a beer bong, carrying on about how "cutting edge they WERE.

- Thier song writing ability is simplistic at best. Mowtown probably scrapped better arranged tunes while taking a crap on the pot, all the while hiding from the cops than what they came up with.

- Their chord progressions are something my nephew, that just learned guitar, could identify with.

But go ahead, admit you like them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]
"Why can't I get just one f***....

'story of my youth...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, I will.

on purpose??
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

- The lyrical content? It identifies with your average male, sent off to college looking for a wet dream adventure. The feel? Well, it's weakly backed with a "punk rock" wanna be anthem that blabs on for hours. Kinda like some retards would after doing a beer bong, carrying on about how "cutting edge they WERE.

- Thier song writing ability is simplistic at best. Mowtown probably scrapped better arranged tunes while taking a crap on the pot, all the while hiding from the cops than what they came up with.

- Their chord progressions are something my nephew, that just learned guitar, could identify with.

Dude, you're so right. They're no "Winger".

Rock on!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
thecleaner
Violent Femmes weren't "punk"
they're "New Wave"...
aka "Indie" or "College Rock"

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]

'Twas based on Camus's The Stranger.

OK but the song was recorded by The Cure, not the Femmes..
Written by Smith//Tolhurst/Dempsey
1 Feb 1979..

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Never liked 'em.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
MrsGloftoe
Then my mind has been successfully expanded.
And you are one sexy dame!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#19]
<==Femmes Fan.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
And ten... ten... ten...ten is for EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING

Well you can all just kiss off into the air
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
thecleaner
Violent Femmes weren't "punk"
they're "New Wave"...
aka "Indie" or "College Rock"

If ya read into my little review you'd realize that i'm fully aware of that they're not "punk" as sooooo many have always thought.  However, I wouldn't even classify them as "new wave" as you did.

DEVO would be more classified as "new wave". BUT!! I'd even classify Devo more as "NERD-CORE" if anything. Mark Mothersbaugh is a genius!!!  

Violent Femmes??? I'd put them more into the collective-ever growing pile of "TURD-CORE"....and they're at the bottom.

The Femmes just simply have, as I mentioned the "college anthem" going for them. Nothing more...because they would never be able to accomplish anything else. BUT AGAIN,  they did do a "B" side tune barried on the SOUTH PARK movie CD.

....and yes, that sucked too!!!

I award them no pionts and may God have mercy on their souls.

P.S. OWNED!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]
thecleaner
Ok.. so you can
use "google" and
so I am owned.

I bow to your superiority.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ahhh...a rock snob.  i'm guessing that you're either a rush fan or a clapton evangelist.  your response reminds me of a joke...

how many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?

answer-11.  one to do it, and ten to claim that neil peart chould have done it better.

your critiques are amusing.  using your rationale, hendrix, pink floyd, aerosmith, and beethoven are all crap.

you've not a milligram of rock and roll in your bloodstream.  please return to the polka ward and await your meds, which should arrive shortly.

i'd go on, but

i forgot what 8 was for!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are a Femmes Fan, do yourself a favor and pick up their self titled CD.  Every song on there is a hit, even the bonus tracks.  Its not my style of music, but it was always great for hooking up with the chicky snacks.    Good times!

Eta,   The  Violent Femmes was the only time I ever saw hot chicks in "the pit".  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#27]
"ahhh...a rock snob. i'm guessing that you're either a rush fan or a clapton evangelist. your response reminds me of a joke..."

Actually I'm a t-bone player in a SKA band.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#28]
The Judys?
I went from enlightened
to stumped

Texans have all the fun..

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#30]
MrsGloftoe
I'm now enlightened again Thanks!

thecleaner
Terry and Neville would be so very proud.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Tell your mom I'm stuck on this lovely girl...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#32]
One of the things I like best about the Femmes is...

When singing along, I actually sounded better than the band!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:12:56 AM EDT
[#33]
yup...they rock.....wouldnt happen to be a Ramones fan too would ya?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#34]
This is by FAR the worst music thread EVER!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
...Damn, now I have a Femmes jones.

Try finding an MP3 of "Country Death Song" at 3 AM.

<==Digs through his tapes, muttering something about "MrsGloftoe"...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Saw the Femmes in 84(?) at Doc Watson's in Philly down by Penn.  Man.... at the time we thought they were just a kickass garage band.  

BTW- The Gross Point Blank soundtrack, one of my favorite albums has 2 versions of Blister on it.

Body and beats
I stain my sheets
I don't even know why
My girlfriend
she's at the end
she is starting to
cry

(That will be stuck in my head all day)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rock on!!

Dammit, I just choked on my gum.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#38]
May have had interest in them for about 2 minutes back in 1985.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rock on!!

Hey...Wait...What's wrong with Winger?

Winger.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
P.S. Does anyone else remember The Judys?

I went to school with Darwin Keyes.  And the rest is history...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
One of the things I like best about the Femmes is...

When singing along, I actually sounded better than the band!

They have a few good songs that I like.  

But for my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when Michael Bolton sings "When a man loves a woman."
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I like the Violent Femmes.  I saw them in 2003 in San Bernardino CA most recently.

On the "Killing an Arab" reference, I like The Cure, too.  I probably have one of the better Cure colletions in Central Texas.

But then, I went to HS and College during that period.  I pretty much ran the gamut from Devo to The Dead Kennedies with a swing by Bauhaus, sometimes The Specials, Adam and the Ants, I listened to it all.

As far as simple chord progressions, well, speaking as a bassist, there are plenty of songs that I've played with very simple chord progressions.  I mean, look at The Cars or a lot of The Police.  Or going back a bit, how about "My Girl" by The Temptations.

IIRC, the Violent Femmes were discovered just kind of goofing off entertaining some people waiting to get into a Pretenders concert.  What made the Violent Femmes so different in the 80's was while most bands were maxing out on the electronics, the Violent Femmes were playing such simplistic acoustic music.

Lyrically, to me, they kind of fall in the same vein with The Dead Milkmen, some Suicidal Tendencies (think "Institutionalized," etc.  

I don't recall anyone doing the same style music at the time, though.  And really, that was the unique thing about The Violent Femmes.  It was a juxtaposition of the white guy angst lyrics along with the very simplistic acoustic tracks.

I have The Smithereens in the truck right now.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#44]
The Violent Femmes kick ass, especially their self titled debut.

People that think they suck are probably still listening to Sweet Home Alabama and Freebird non-stop.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#45]
guys that like the cure,       squat to pee.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK but the song was recorded by The Cure, not the Femmes..
Written by Smith//Tolhurst/Dempsey
1 Feb 1979..

Yes, I know this.  Was merely expanding upon your comment.  

And yes, I love the Femmes.  Even went to see them in concert back when I was in college.

My wife and I saw them in concert 2 years ago - and we are no longer in college.

We saw Duran Duran the week before....

Av.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
"ahhh...a rock snob. i'm guessing that you're either a rush fan or a clapton evangelist. your response reminds me of a joke..."

Actually I'm a t-bone player in a SKA band.

Ahh...that explains it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
guys that like the cure,       squat to pee.

Wow, that's deep and profound.

I guess I squat then, I like the Cure, Violent Femmes and The Smiths.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Lyrically, to me, they kind of fall in the same vein with The Dead Milkmen, some Suicidal Tendencies (think "Institutionalized," etc.    )

Love that song by the Suicidal Tendencies!   Anyone hear ever listen to TSOL?  Code Blue!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#50]

- The lyrical content? It identifies with your average male, sent off to college looking for a wet dream adventure.

Sure, but they were very good at it. Their first album was a brilliant summation of being 19, male, and not getting any, and you gotta respect that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top