Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2002 12:15:30 PM EDT
I am on a Sun ultra 5 machine doing some work in matlab. I don't have access to a printer but I do have internet. Is there some built in ability that would allow me to screen capture the window (or the whole desktop if that's the only way to do it) in a form that windows can read...like .jpg...just so I can e-mail it to my home computer?  I need to print out some graphs from matlab and this is the only way I can think of doing it since I don't have matlab at home.

I'll be here on and off for 6 or 7 hours.

Thanks a lot
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
btt ICan'tGoHomeUntilIFigureThisOutHelpMePlease
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You might be able to use SnapShot, but can only save in TIFF format.  You should be able to convert from TIFF to JPG in Windows.  The image will probably not be very crisp.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
There isn't a button marked [PrintScreen] or something like it on the keyboard by any chance?

I know yours is Unix, and my machine is XP, but ever since Win 3.0, you could hit that button, open your graphic editor and paste the content of the clipboard (the screenshot) into it and save in some supported format.

I would suppose there's some similar procedure in Unix.

Edited to add: Do not place the monitor picture side down on a scanner :P
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to save a figure as a *.jpg, look under File on the displayed figure.  Select Export, then look under Save as Type for the export type you want.  Jpg is supported.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll assume you are using X11 ("XWindows") or whatever Sun's variant is called this week.

There is an X utility to capture any window on the screen.  Just run it, click the mouse on the window you want to save, and it'll dump the image to stdout.  (I suggest you redirect the output to a file. [:D])  Then use the PBM toolkit to convert to JPEG or whatever.

This webpage should give you a start:
[url]http://www.ee.byu.edu/support/khoros2.2/envision/manual/Envision/E.16.getimage/HTML/Use.html[/url]
I don't know if its directions give the right name for Sun's variation of X11 or not.

[rant]
This is why Microsoft is winning -- Sun, HP, and all the others insisted on making their own stupid changes to everything in the OS, GUI, utilities, and anything else you can name, just so they could market it as their own proprietary stuff. [:(]
[/rant]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#6]
zonan, the standard way is to use xwd.  That stands for X Windows Dump.  Are you sure you want a JPEG file?  That isn't a good format for graphs, because it will make the lines fuzzy.  xgrabsc or xwpick are two other common choises.  Sun's come with a program called screendump, but it outputs a Sun Raster file.  You'll have to convert it.  I have always used xv, and if you have that, it's the easiest way to output a JPEG from a screenshot (not that you want to use a JPEG, but you mentioned it).z
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!  I didn't find a drop down box (like windows has) within matlab but I manually typed in .jpg rather than the default .fig and it was smart enough to convert it for me.  I was not expecting that.  You are right zoom, it is a bit blurry but I have to use a file type that is readable in a windows environment.

And thanks for the info about exporting Rockdoc.  Shows how much of a newb I am at this [newbie]

Sorry I'm not used to these unix systems yet.  Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top