Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 9:29:31 PM EDT
My old 1985 Truck was getting cranky when it came rolling up and down the windows.  I figured the grease was old, it was, about 21 1/2 years old and it was time to deal with it.
My goal was remove both window regulators, degrease them, spray with new grease, and slap them back in.

To remove the window regulators, you have to remove the glass window itself, which can be intimidating and costly if you break the glass, regardless, it had to be done.

I started with the passenger side.  Fortunately my 1985 truck is basic: no power windows, no power locks, no speakers in the door, pretty easy and straight forward

Started by removing the door handle, window crank, arm rest, door trim

Peeled back the plastic cover and removed the 2 bolts holding the window channel in place.  This left 5 bolts left to remove after lifting out the glass, 3 by the window crank, 2 to the right of it

Next step was to use some degreaser and old toothbrush to remove the old grease, then I used brake cleaner to remove the degreaser.  The window regulator still looks new though it has some rust spots

While I had the door apart I sprayed some lube on the key lock, inside door handle as well, it needed it

I had a casualty, before you lift the glass window out you have to remove one of the weather strips on top of the door frame, this one is shot, the steel clips inside the weather strip rusted all to hell and turned to rust dust.  Ordered a new one after I finished up the project, it'll arrive next Tuesday.  Amazing still, Toyota still has that part available even though it's special order, and it was only $16.75 or so!

Greased the regulator with white grease and put door back together, window glass was tricky to get in, but I finally got it.

Then I tackled the drivers side.  Here's a nasty rust spot that is used to hold the bracket which supports the window track.  For now it's holding, in the future I might have to cut it out and weld in a replace steel plate

My driveway is sloped, I was smart to enough to park the truck backwards in the driveway so gravity would keep the doors swung open

Driver's side window regulator as clean as I could get it ready for some white grease

My arsenal of chemicals used.  I sprayed the locks, door handle on the drivers side as well and used armor all to clean the weather stripping

Both windows operate silky smooth and use about 1/4 of the force required before this project.  My door lock and door handles are slick as well.  Over all the project took about 3.5 hours, if I had to do it again it would take under 2
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up. Id luv to tear my doors and tailgate apart and a refurbish job like yours, but ive got all power options on my '84. My pass. window is a bit slow and the back tailgate one could use a lil more power itself. Oh well. lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#2]
whats White Grease?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
whats White Grease?

usually called White Lithium grease, if its the same stuff im thinking about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
whats White Grease?

A special grease only avaliable in the south...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahhh us yankees over here just throw RemOil on our stuff

But for Penetrating oil CANT BEAT PB BLASTER!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ahhh us yankees over here just throw RemOil on our stuff

But for Penetrating oil CANT BEAT PB BLASTER!

White lithium is sprayed on grease, its stays on the surface that is being sprayed acts as a lube/grease. Penetrating fluids work their way in, but seem to dry out over time. White lithium will eventually dry out over years and years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I meant to clean I use PB BLASTER.. but just to oil its WD or RemOil... maybe I should find some of that white lithium you speak of.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I meant to clean I use PB BLASTER.. but just to oil its WD or RemOil... maybe I should find some of that white lithium you speak of.

Got mine at Walmart car section where all the oil, simple green, etc is
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top