Can't you buy a deer control powder
or someting.I think its just an offensive
oder to them that they stay away from.
Could just be in my head though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
My folks string some type of device up that is almost transparent from a distance.  It simply consists of stringing fishing line on posts around the bush at certain heights.  The theory is that deer don't like sticking their heads through it.  I don't know if it works or not.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Landmines.

Seriously though, I don't know. I would look for what sigman recommended.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, round them up and set them free in Los Angeles.  There hasn't been a deer around here for years.  

It would be fun watching LAPD shooting them with  shotguns  
blam...miss...blam...miss...blam...miss...
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#6]
You have 2 choices.

1. Build 8ft. tall chainlink fences.

2. Give up.

My parent have fought the deer for years. They have tried every gimmick and recommendation from the "experts". In the end the deer will jump, walk through, or ignore anything you try. We would make venison but the neighbor across the street is the county sheriff.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Bow and arrow, or colibri .22 rounds.

For when you're not at home, I heard that salt licks repel deer.  Just post them around your perimeter and it's deer-b-gone! [;)]

Electric fence?  They look a lot easier to install than an 8' chainlink fence.  Just pound in the posts then loop the electrified wire along.

To protect shrubbery from moose in the winter, people around here wrap the plants with chicken wire.  That would look like crap though, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For when you're not at home, I heard that salt licks repel deer.  Just post them around your perimeter and it's deer-b-gone! [;)]

Electric fence?  They look a lot easier to install than an 8' chainlink fence.  Just pound in the posts then loop the electrified wire along.
View Quote

Salt licks are you kidding me?!  
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For when you're not at home, I heard that salt licks repel deer.  
View Quote

Salt licks ATTRACT deer.  ::shaking head::

Good bets... 8' fence (already mentioned)... electrify it (already mentioned)...

Best bet... GET A BIG DOG.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
AR-15
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#13]
How about those motion detector-flood light combos they use to scare off burglars?  I can't imagine that Deer would like to be in a sudden flood of light.  They always startle me when I go for a run at night.

Should be able to get these at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds crude but urine (either k9 or human) will deter WILD deer.  If these deer are suburban deer (read: tame) not much will stop them short of a bullet.  They're like overgrown rats.

I have heard of some success with those ultrasonic sound generators.  We have a major deer problem some places here too.

BTW - the sprinkler thing works pretty well also, and isn't really that expensive.  You can also make your own deterrent by using a store bought motion detector hooked up to some sort of noise making device (sounds stupid but a fan w/a playing card in it like on a bike works pretty well), and will shut off automatically.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Notify the humanitarian UN and advise them that you need help with a Sustainable Development issue.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Soap shavings work real well.  Get a deodorant soap, take a cheese grater to it and spread it around - the deer hate, and so do alot of other varmits (may not keep the neighbors out though).

The other night I had 8 deer in the yard, not one came anywhere near the gardens.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How about those motion detector-flood light combos they use to scare off burglars?  I can't imagine that Deer would like to be in a sudden flood of light.  They always startle me when I go for a run at night.

Should be able to get these at Home Depot.
View Quote

But you still go running and it didn't take long to figure out they are harmless. Same with deer. I agree with the bow and arrow or dog idea or a bucket of tasty anti freeze "accidently" left in your garden.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm into organic gardening, which, basically,
means the avoidance of any manufactured chemical
insecticides, pesticides, fertilizers, etc.

To keep deer from eating your roses and other
plants, the leaves should be sprayed with a
'garlic-pepper' tea concoction. It's a mixture
made by boiling cloves of garlic and hot peppers
together, making a 'tea', and spraying it onto
the plant's leaves.

It will not harm the plants in any manner, smells kinda like 'Momma Hun's' cooking, and should make these plants less enticing to the
deer, as well as other pests.

Lord, now I'm hungry for some pasta!

Eric The(Naturalist)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I have heard of people spreading cat chit around the perimeter of their yard.(note- it has to be the type of cats that eat deer) Go to local zoo and see if they will give you the poo-poo from the Big cats. You might also try spraying Pepper Spray on the plants being victimized...
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I have heard that strings of blinking christmas tree lights work real well. Not as obtrusive as motion detecter flood lights either. And your probably already have some of these.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
We suffered with no plants and deer droppings on the lawn for the first two years we lived here.  Nothing worked.  Then a deer was hit by a car and keeled over in our side patio.  It was during the winter so I never went out there.  I think it was there for a few days before I found it.  Never had a deer problem since.

Do you have an old car with strong bumpers? [;)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Just did a search for deer repellent on Google, that came back with over 13,000 hits.

[url]www.google.com/search?q=deer+repellent&btnG=Google+Search[/url]

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
How the HELL do you keep deer out of your yard?

Correct that - they can hang out in the yard all they want - but how do you keep them from eating your rose-bushes and day-lillies?
View Quote

Don't plant flowers.

Ok, so maybe I'm a neanderthal.  My father does the same thing though - plants flowers for a month and then spends the remaining 11 months of the year fighting the deer, moles, beetles, rabbits, birds, crappy weather, and every-other-damn-thing under the sun that kills the stupid flowers.  Hell man, screw the flowers, grow grass, mow it and forget about it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My grandparents used to have a large gardens and a deer problem.  They tried a few things.  They got some government agency (I can't remember which) to give them explosive noisemakers to scare the deer off.  It didn't work very well, but I got to play with M80s [:)].

My grandma finally found a method that worked well.  She would pee in a bucket then soak rags in the pee.  Then she would hang the rags around the gardens.  It works.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Deer in your yard? Just pass a law against it, that should stop em!

radioman
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#32]
In addition, if they don't comply, you can enter their territory with a no-knock warrant and pop them with mp5s.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#33]
shoot them in the ass with a paintball, that ought to learn'em [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I said nothing!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:54:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#36]
My mom has the same problem, but I'm sure she hasn't tried the piss rag trick. She lives in town but it's not as populated as DK-Prof's subdivision. We live in a city and the deer haven't bothered any of the stuff in the yard in 6 years. I have seen them looking over the fence though. It's only a 4 foot high picket so I don't know why they haven't come in.

Fred
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Hi DK.  The pepper spray and garlic tea will help.  You don't need to use P-rags, just answer the call of noture by whizzing around the perimeter.  Human hair works also.  If you are having a drought, and forage is scarce, the repellents lose their effectiveness, and about the only thing that will work is 60 grain Sierras on top of 20 grains of 4895.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top