Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 7:51:52 AM EDT
Help I'm way out of my league here.

What is the conversion needed to convert 65 inch/pounds of torque to foot pounds?

If I use a beam torque wrench with a 3/8" socket size do I have to use a 3/8" socket or if I use a 1/4" adapter does it change by a factor?

I'm torquing down a set of $150 scope rings to my rifle and really don't want to rip the heads off the nuts trying to torque them down properly. I suppose I need to buy a $180 inch/pound wrench but was able to borrow a freshly calibrated one in ft/lbs.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this website:

[url]http://www.boltscience.com/pages/convert.htm[/url]

5.42 ft/lbs
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
5 ft-lbs

drive adapter size doesn't matter

try mounting the torque wrench in the vise first and get a feel for the click-let off

1st time I did it I WAY overtorqued the bolts, since I didn't feel the click - it's very, very light at that low a pressure w/a standard wrench
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks gents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top