Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/3/2017 10:41:24 AM EDT
So I've been talking with an Army Reserve recruiter, I'm highly interested in being a 68W. Everything was going fine untill I started reading about Guards vs Reserves. Honestly I didn't know there was a difference, and just Reserves are what you do after active duty be Guards we're new entry. Guardsmen say most reservists are pieces of shit and Reserves say the same and Guards. I can't tell how much of it is just "locker room" talk and I'm so
confused as to what I would really want. Any feedback from either side would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:03:40 PM EDT
Having served in all three components, I think it really comes down to the individual unit. They are great units and terrible units in both the Guard and Reserve. I would get the feel of the unit first before making a decision. 

The Reserves are Federal units, and are resourced a little better than the Guard. Guard units have more of a hometown feel and you'll find people who spend entire careers in one unit. If you have a local Guard unit you can join, you may feel more connected to your community than in the Reserves. These are all generalities and specific units may be different.

I met some guys in a Guard SF unit from Tennessee who seemed pretty HSLD; you might want to check them out if so inclined.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:32:31 PM EDT
Guard has combat arms and belongs to the State but can be called up by the Fed's and deployed. States may have special "yellow ribbon" college funding programs in addition to those offered to Vets or USAR. My understanding is that promotions and positions are done within the State only, so making rank may take time.

Reserves are support. Everything from engineers to finance. There are programs for college tuition assistance. They are a federal force which means they aren't called up for State issues such as floods, wildfires, etc. You can transfer to any USAR unit in the world, volunteer for deployments easier, get promoted easier due to the wider geographical areas, etc.

Both have TSP, Tricare Reserve Select insurance, same pay, earn GI Bill.

Both the NG and USAR have great and horrible units. You should go visit units you are considering joining and talk to the Soldiers to get a feel for the unit. Yes we give each other shit. I'm USAR and have worked with several NG units while deployed and never had a bad experience with them. I can't say the same about working with active duty units.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:40:30 PM EDT
Rep 63 - MOS 18D. ..........you're welcome!

18Z50....
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:11:55 PM EDT
National Guard...not Guards.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:29:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:50:03 PM EDT
Guard & Reserve, NO s.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:10:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2017 9:11:39 AM EDT by Castillo]
It's "Guard", not "Guards"

What are you going for? College money? Training? Excitement?

Depending on the state, National Guard will be far superior to Reserve on college. Many states offer free state school tuition in addition to GI bill and GI Bill kicker.

Training will be the same.

Excitement or things to do with be Guard. Natural disaster? National Guard does state missions, so that will be you. NG Also has half of the Army's combat arms units. You want to be attached to an infantry unit and actually experience military life? National Guard.

Go Guard.
Top Top