Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/25/2005 3:24:43 PM EDT
The Gun Control Lobby, Thinking Small
By Jenny Price
Washington Post
Sunday, December 25, 2005; B07

Five years ago an elderly Los Angeles woman who had agreed to move out of her daughter's apartment bought a handgun. She cleared the background check, passed the safety test and practiced on targets at the local shooting range. Then she shot and killed her daughter and her daughter's fiance -- my brother David.

As someone who has lost a member of my family to gun violence, I see the new federal legislation to limit gun manufacturers' liability as unconscionable beyond my ken. But what troubles me most is that the gun control lobby is pouring its resources into battles that probably won't save many lives -- and we're losing even those.

In the past decade, states have passed law after law to require safety locks, force gun-purchase waiting periods, trace bullets back to their sources and allow victims to sue manufacturers for negligence. That such measures have produced at best slight decreases in the rate of gun deaths is hardly surprising, because only 3 percent of gun deaths are accidents, and most murderers own their handguns legally and know how to use them safely. California has passed a raft of such laws in the past five years and

is widely praised as one of the most progressive states on gun control. In that same period, the number of handgun-related homicides has fallen and then risen again, with no correlation whatever.

The real problem is not that handguns aren't safe or well-regulated enough, or that you can't sue and try to bankrupt a corrupt manufacturer after someone you love has been killed. The problem is that 60 million people in the United States own handguns. The gun used to kill my brother was a Glock 19, a light and portable semiautomatic. These guns are designed to kill people: That's their sole purpose. Nearly 12,000 Americans annually use guns to do just that, and the majority use handguns. Twelve thousand: that's comparable to the number of AIDS deaths each year in the United States. (Great Britain has about 100 gun deaths each year.)

And if the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which leads the gun control crusade, continues to assure us that it won't try to outlaw handguns? Then new laws to restrict who can buy guns and where they can carry them might reduce the annual toll to 10,000. But that's optimistic.

Wouldn't it make more sense to define the ultimate battle as one for a national ban on handguns -- the sole gun-control measure that promises to save tens of thousands of lives? With an endgame that can actually achieve the ultimate goal, perhaps we'd acquire the logical and moral authority to win more of the smaller battles.

I can hear the gun lobby scoffing, "Guns don't kill people. People do." This ditty is familiar to all of us. Yes, and bombs and chemical weapons don't kill people either, but they're not sold over the counter to just about anyone without a criminal record who can prove that he or she can use them safely.

Of the 12,000 guns used to kill people every year, 160 are used in legitimate self-defense. Guns in the home are used seven times more often for murder than for self-defense. I cannot say whether the woman who shot my brother was vicious or insane: I myself no longer understand the exact difference. But we all know that rage, vengefulness and deep alienation are hardly unusual in our society, and a handgun makes it horrifyingly easy for people to express them, on purpose or on impulse, by killing people.

If the National Rifle Association wants to pour its own considerable resources into creating a society ruled by absolute peace and brotherhood, I'm all for it. But let's stop arming the populace in the meantime, which pro- and anti-gun advocates alike know for certain will create a mountainous death toll.

Jenny Price is a writer living in Los Angeles.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/23/AR2005122301465_pf.html
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:37:16 PM EDT
Mind boggling.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:39:19 PM EDT
Isn't murder already against the law?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:40:00 PM EDT
Jenny:

I'm terribly sorry for the tragic and untimely loss of your brother, but to blame the manufacturer of the firearm rather than your soon-to-be mother-in-law once removed (??? Help, Miss Manners!) is fucking stupid. Would you sue Chicago Cutlery if she had shanked him in the shower? You've proven again, though it will be ignored by the majority of gunowners (especially owners of shotguns and hunting rifles) that the ultimate aim of you pie-in-the-sky liberal idealoges is a totalitarian state achieved by the disarmament of the citizenry, just so you can boss everyone around as one of the elites. Perhaps if your crackhead brother hadn't gotten a nice girl hooked on crank and then started banging her in her family's house, her mother wouldn't have been driven to extreme measures...or did you just decide those were unnecessary details? Anyway, good luck on your quest, and make sure you have your pistol permit secured by "favors" downtown before you go walking the streets in L.A. or you might find that being an "elite" doesn't cut it with everyone. Some people just don't seem to get that they are supposed to bow and scrape before you. Go figure. Carry plenty of gauze pads to stop the bleeding. Stab wounds are like that, you know. But hey, be happy. At least you weren't shot.

Cheers,

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:40:54 PM EDT
Come get them, fucker.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:51:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hipster:
The Gun Control Lobby, Thinking Small
The gun used to kill my brother was a Glock 19, a light and portable semiautomatic. These guns are designed to kill people: That's their sole purpose.

And if her brother had been killed with a baseball bat?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:51:47 PM EDT

Then she shot and killed her daughter and her daughter's fiance -- my brother David.

There's more to that story than the author lets on.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:53:18 PM EDT
Too bad the cunt didn't give out an email address.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:53:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By captainobvious:
Come get them, fucker.

They woun't. They will make others do it for them or slowily pull the carpet from under us, we'll never notice...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:54:33 PM EDT
Jenny Price sounds like a limp wristed kanadian.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:57:04 PM EDT
I think someone needs to let him know that most handgun used in crime are stolen, maybe he didn't get the memo
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 2:55:38 PM EDT by JoeWang]
Dear Jenny,

You are an insufferably clueless and pathetic cunt.

Sincerely,

Joe Wang
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:00:29 PM EDT
Dupe.

There's already a thread about leftist males being pussies.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:06:17 PM EDT
Last time I checked, Jenny is a she.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:07:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By geerhed:
Jenny:

I'm terribly sorry for the tragic and untimely loss of your brother, but to blame the manufacturer of the firearm rather than your soon-to-be mother-in-law once removed (??? Help, Miss Manners!) is fucking stupid. Would you sue Chicago Cutlery if she had shanked him in the shower? You've proven again, though it will be ignored by the majority of gunowners (especially owners of shotguns and hunting rifles) that the ultimate aim of you pie-in-the-sky liberal idealoges is a totalitarian state achieved by the disarmament of the citizenry, just so you can boss everyone around as one of the elites. Perhaps if your crackhead brother hadn't gotten a nice girl hooked on crank and then started banging her in her family's house, her mother wouldn't have been driven to extreme measures...or did you just decide those were unnecessary details? Anyway, good luck on your quest, and make sure you have your pistol permit secured by "favors" downtown before you go walking the streets in L.A. or you might find that being an "elite" doesn't cut it with everyone. Some people just don't seem to get that they are supposed to bow and scrape before you. Go figure. Carry plenty of gauze pads to stop the bleeding. Stab wounds are like that, you know. But hey, be happy. At least you weren't shot.

Cheers,

cc: Washington Post letters editor
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:21:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Merlin:
Dupe.

There's already a thread about leftist males being pussies.

LOL.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:27:45 PM EDT
Feeeelings, whoa whoa whoa feeeeelings, whoa whoa whoa feelings................................
Her whole article is filled with lies, half truths, and misrepresentations, and her feelings are used to try to make those who read it, overlook the falsities, and direct their attention on how she hurts and wants law to be based on feelings, not fact. In fact, most "facts" she stated are blatent lies and she slanders gun manufacturers in the same breath by calling them corrupt, without one shred of supporting evidence.

Here are my fact as relate to her.
She's a liberal
She is unwilling to blame crime on criminal behavior
Her brother was stupid and unwary
Her non SIL and mom had serious problems
She is more then happy to make up facts to support her position
She is not telling the whole story about her Bro and non SIL.
She wants others to pay for a criminals behavior

I might be wrong on some, but my facts are just as well supported as hers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2005 4:33:10 PM EDT by Zatu]
A hope she got a handgun for Christmas. Then she'd stop wanting to ban them.

ETA: Nevermind, just remembered how narrowminded and slow to admit their incorrectness people can be. Scratch the second part. I still hope she got one for Christmas to piss her off.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:34:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zatu:
A hope she got a handgun for Christmas. Then she'd stop wanting to ban them.

No, idiots like her would call the PoPo to remove it from the house, or she'd turn it in for a gift certificate to Rainforest Cafe.

The only thing that will change her mind is a wake up call of the opposite sort to which she's already had.

By then, of course, it will probably be too late, and other gun grabbers will continue the "get the guns off the streets" mantra instead of "why didn't she have something to defend herself with?"
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:37:58 PM EDT
Strange, she conveniently leaves out the details as to why the two were shot.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:39:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dinkydow:
Jenny Price sounds like a limp wristed kanadian.

Sounds Dutch to me
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:02:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hitnrun99:
Strange, she conveniently leaves out the details as to why the two were shot.

That's not important. In fact, it's counter-productive to achieving the ultimate goals of the agenda she's pushing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:03:27 PM EDT

only 3 percent of gun deaths are accidents, and most murderers own their handguns legally and know how to use them safely.

From the Sarah Brady School of Journalism: If the facts don't jibe with your view of the world, just make up some other "facts" that do...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:09:23 PM EDT
Dear Jenny

I am sad for your loss but your premmiss of banning handguns is wrong.
I will not use the gun lovers yell of guns don't kill people do or point out more good is done with guns to prevent crime each year then to kill. And I will not resort to pointing out that in Britton they report groups of crime as one instead of as an example 23 killed with a bomb, they just say 1 bombing occured.

Your soon to be mother in law made a desission to get a gun and kill. There was clues to the event that was coming but you or your family missed them.

How do I know? In my family suicide tends to occur. So far in my life I have had 5 commit suicide, 3 by drugs, one by car anf one with a gun.

John(name changed to protect my family) is the gun victum. He was an out going person that did not seem to have any problems when he killed himself. The events leading up to the suicide were 'normal' in apperrence but when examined later......

The days leading up to the act he bought a 45 sig, passed the back round check. He laid out his important papers, closed accounts at his bank and settled bills or debts owed to people. He saw to the care of his 2 dogs and his cat. Then he calmly went into house and during the night he fired one round. All this took place over a month.

Some of his close family had seen him a day before and had asked about him settling his debts but got no coherent reply. This was the first clue the second and more clues were the notifications from account holders confirming the closing of accounts or his giving away of things. No one saw or asked further about him.

The event happened the weekend before thanksgiving and my family will proubly be asking why for the rest of our lives.

Do we blame the guns? No
Do we blame the gun manufacturer? No

We do blame john though for not asking for help or leaving any clue as to why.

So blame your mother in law but do not blame society for her act and do not blame a tool for her crime.

That is what small minds do.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:11:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:15:20 PM EDT
How about we actually send these to her instead of entertaining each other with open retorts? She needs to hear it more than we do.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:13:48 PM EDT

Jenny:

Perhaps if your crackhead brother hadn't gotten a nice girl hooked on crank and then started banging her in her family's house, her mother wouldn't have been driven to extreme measures...or did you just decide those were unnecessary details?

I knew there was probably more to the story here.....where are some links to the details?

I did a quick google but if you already have the story please share.

Thanks,
Observer
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:18:27 PM EDT

The gun used to kill my brother was a Glock 19, a light and portable semiautomatic. These guns are designed to kill people: That's their sole purpose.

Here we go again. Yes, Glocks are evil, and yes, they were designed to kill people. Nearly every gun ever made was designed to kill people. That's what guns are for. I'm trying to figure out what a gun would be for were it not to kill people.

Wouldn't it make more sense to define the ultimate battle as one for a national ban on handguns -- the sole gun-control measure that promises to save tens of thousands of lives? With an endgame that can actually achieve the ultimate goal, perhaps we'd acquire the logical and moral authority to win more of the smaller battles.

As all sane, rational people know, a national ban on handguns will make us less safe. Why? Because criminals will still have guns, but honest people will not. "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." The libs need to repeat the previous sentence 1 billion times.

If the National Rifle Association wants to pour its own considerable resources into creating a society ruled by absolute peace and brotherhood, I'm all for it. But let's stop arming the populace in the meantime, which pro- and anti-gun advocates alike know for certain will create a mountainous death toll.

A disarmed society with the supposed goal of absolute peace and brotherhood has been tried. It was called NAZI GERMANY. It didn't work then, and it won't work now. As Thomas Jefferson said, "From time to time, the tree of liberty must be replenished with the blood of patiots and tyrants."

Jenny, we at ARFCOM are all terribly sorry for the loss of your brother. However, your stupidass solutions do not make any of us safer. By the way, would you advocate the killing all lions, tigers and bears because one may have killed a human? That is the logic you are using to sue the gun manufacturers. Did the Glock 19 malfunction? I bet not, as I personally own one of these fine weapons. I bet it functioned as it was designed by firing when asked to do so by a human, and by striking its mark with devasting results. That's what guns do.

Sorry but crazy doesn't sell here. We are already full up.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:27:57 PM EDT

Of the 12,000 guns used to kill people every year, 160 are used in legitimate self-defense. Guns in the home are used seven times more often for murder than for self-defense. I cannot say whether the woman who shot my brother was vicious or insane: I myself no longer understand the exact difference. But we all know that rage, vengefulness and deep alienation are hardly unusual in our society, and a handgun makes it horrifyingly easy for people to express them, on purpose or on impulse, by killing people.

Where do they come up with this? Do they j ust pull it out of the air?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:44:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jblachly:

Where do they come up with this? Do they j ust pull it out of the air?

not entirely they uselly have it so only people that died ( no wounding ) are included and useally only count shoots inside a residence and nothing in public or outside a resedence ( even the yard or porch) im sure she dug the number up from some brady "study" of some sort
that was how the a gun is 43 times more likely to be used to kill a family member than a intruder factoid was derived
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2005 7:51:18 PM EDT by HeavyMetal]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:56:33 PM EDT
Once again the absolute illogic of some emotional libtard. Someone she loved was killed by someone with a gun... who passed the LEGALLY REQUIRED BACKGROUND CHECK, passed the SAFETY CLASS and all the other hooplah that she's required to do...

and she thinks she should be able to sue the gun's manufacturer?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:41:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Observer:

Jenny:

Perhaps if your crackhead brother hadn't gotten a nice girl hooked on crank and then started banging her in her family's house, her mother wouldn't have been driven to extreme measures...or did you just decide those were unnecessary details?

I knew there was probably more to the story here.....where are some links to the details?

I did a quick google but if you already have the story please share.

Thanks,
Observer

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anyone but there has got to be WAY more to this story than is presented. I just made my details up as a probable possible scenario.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:42:31 PM EDT

Dear Jenny,

You are a clueless and pathetic cunt.

Sincerely,

The Pope

+1

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:47:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
Mind boggling.

+1.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:51:37 PM EDT
What a fucking retard, someone should bitchslap his ass.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:54:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nf9648:
What a fucking retard, someone should bitchslap her ass.

EBAY MOTHER FUCKER!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:54:11 PM EDT
That ain't gun violence, it is gun negligence. No amount of laws will protect the stupid.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:54:55 PM EDT
Got $10 says Jenny's brother and his "bride" were stealing the TV from "gramma" to pay for his drug/gambling/porn addiction.

If so, good kill and a good riddance. Good for Grandma for taking out the trash.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:56:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

EBAY MOTHER FUCKER!
img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/dustyc/Pg-13%20body%20art/leg.jpg

Lidat?

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:57:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

EBAY MOTHER FUCKER!
img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/dustyc/Pg-13%20body%20art/leg.jpg

Lidat?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/hadji_slap.jpg

I bet that stings a little.
Top Top