Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/27/2006 1:52:18 PM EST
I can't get my old brand of hollow points anymore, so I'm switching to Federal Hydra-Shoks. Is 3 boxes enough for testing a new (to this gun) brand of hollow points with your gun?

How many boxes do y'all usually use?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:55:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:56:10 PM EST
I would say three boxes is sufficient. I honestly can't remember how many boxes of Gold Dots I put thru my carry gun before I trusted them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:56:30 PM EST
Half a box.

That ought to do it.

HH
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:57:30 PM EST
Hydra-Shoks? Why are you going backwards in HP tech? They're at least a generation behind...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:58:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By mcantu:
Hydra-Shoks? Why are you going backwards in HP tech? They're at least a generation behind...

yip yip.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:09:21 PM EST

The new version is the HST....Taken from Zhukov's ammo review

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:13:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bogey1911:

The new version is the HST....Taken from Zhukov's ammo review

members.aol.com/_ht_a/docgkr/myhomepage/FedHST_newtest.jpg

That's good expansion all the way around. Maybe there's a reason why hydra-shoks are still in use...they work!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:16:33 PM EST
Hydra shoks are still sold. They are different than HST.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:17:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2006 4:22:31 PM EST by XDBACKUPGUN]

Originally Posted By Schulze:

There are inferior to the HST, and pretty much everything else.

Linky

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:21:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:

There are inferior to the HST, and pretty much everything else.

For God's sake, there's HST, Golden Sabre, Gold Dot, Ranger T...all these rounds that have been proven more reliable and you decide Hydra-Shoks are what you want? I mean, hell, they're better than dirty words, but come on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:28:27 PM EST
I shot a big pumpkin, filled with water, with my G-17 and hydra-shocks. It didn't escape the target. All of the energy was expended within the target and the projectile expanded with textbook performance. If you are ever attacked by blood thirsty punkins, the hydra-shock is the round of choice, hands down.

All kidding aside, I will keep my Hydra-Shocks in my pistol. the pumpkin proved to me that the round does what it is designed for. to expand to it's full potential and expend all of it's power within the target. What more do you want?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:34:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Pangea:
What more do you want?

Put a piece of denim over the pumpkin and repeat. Do you expect your attackers to be nude? Do you expect them to be pumpkins for that matter?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:36:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:

What more do you want?

Put a piece of denim over the pumpkin and repeat. Do you expect your attackers to be nude? Do you expect them to be pumpkins for that matter?

WTF? It's all theory untill you put one in a body. You got a body we can try it on? If not. you have to go by what you have and what the manufacturer says.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:45:28 PM EST
O.P. has done a test on Hydro Shocks here it seems kinda iffy on whether or not they expand reliably. Take it for what you will but it seems if they hit denim they might not expand the way they are designed to.

HST's (hydro shock two) have been improved and like anything else why not go with the technological improvements.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:47:38 PM EST

WTF? It's all theory untill you put one in a body. You got a body we can try it on? If not. you have to go by what you have and what the manufacturer says.

Didn't mean to come across as hostile, sorry. Maybe we could get old_painless to buy some pigs from a butcher like Mythbusters?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:51:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:

What more do you want?

Exactly...and "what we have" is reams of data from FBI tests showing that HydraShoks tend to clog up and fail to expand after passing through clothing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:04:40 PM EST
Here are some pictures of Hydar-Shoks I tested a while back. These were shot through two layers of cotton t-shirt material into a Fackler box. All rounds that expanded shed their jackets, either partially or totally.

Close-up of the one that plugged and failed to expand.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:35:06 PM EST
Once again I have crossed the line and violated arfcom law...

Does that make 100 yet?

This one quetion alone violates at least 4 arfcom mandates:

1. Using a pistol for self defense when it is well known that "The only use for a pistol is to fight your way to the rifle that you never should have put down."

2. Using a 9mm pistol when it is well known that if you are going to try and defend yourself with a handgun then you must use a caliber starting with 4.

3. Using a Glock instead of a 1911 when it is well known that Glocks will only blow up in your hand.

And now:

4. Using Hyrda-shocks when there are several far, far superior rounds available.

I guess I might as well shoot myself with my weapon if I'm ever attacked. At least it'll be quick...as long as my clothes don't clog up my ammo anyway.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:45:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:46:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:08:37 PM EST
Yeah, a mag or two of Gold Dot or SXT. Arfcommers do not let Arfcommers shoot inferior ammo, especially when there could be a draw down in the making!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:09:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2006 8:31:10 PM EST by motown_steve]

Originally Posted By Zhukov:
motown_steve:

You can choose to shoot whatever you want, but why choose an inferior product? Time and again, the Hydra-Shocks have been shown to be inferior performers due to their failure to expand when shot through cloth. Not only have the "big guys" come to that conclusion, but so have Old_Painless and another poster in this thread. There are plenty of other ammo choices available which perform much more reliably and cost the same. Why not pick one of those?

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

'Cause that was all they had. If I could still get my 9mm 147 gr. Speer Gold Dots then I would, but I can't find them online and I can't find them in stores. I'm down to my last 100 9mm Gold Dots (I've bought a bunch of 9mms lately and tested most of my supply on them), so I picked up a few boxes of Hydra-shocks.

Someone once said 'you don't fight with the weapon you want, you fight with the weapon you have'.

ETA - Besides, my philosphy remains that drawing your weapon quickly and accurately firing shots into the COM or CNS of your assailant is still the most important factor. Everything beyond that is fluff.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:35:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

motown_steve:

'Cause that was all they had. If I could still get my 9mm 147 gr. Speer Gold Dots then I would, but I can't find them online and I can't find them in stores. .

www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_37&products_id=121&osCsid=b1c5817b68eb3d747faed4e4de78dc11

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=176843

Should have just asked.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:38:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2006 8:39:17 PM EST by Paveway_]
I currently carry 45 ball....

Iza poor...

If 37 rounds of 230 grain ball will not do it, well shit..........its time to run.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:41:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Coupla mags.

yeah
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:44:08 PM EST
OT: What about the white box winchester defense ammo that they sell at Wally World, is that junk?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:46:16 PM EST

motown_steve:

'Cause that was all they had. If I could still get my 9mm 147 gr. Speer Gold Dots then I would, but I can't find them online and I can't find them in stores. .

www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_37&products_id=121&osCsid=b1c5817b68eb3d747faed4e4de78dc11

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=176843

Should have just asked.

I'm sticking with my Hydra-shocks now, on principle.

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man...and I am not wrong.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:48:55 PM EST
just to throw in a wrench:

Hydrashok is the far right.....1 layer of denim
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:08:13 PM EST
I carried and trusted Hydra-Shocks for years, it was my first choice, now it is my last. Things change, technology moves forward, now I carry Rangers for my 9mms and my 45acps.

My testing with a new round is about 300 rounds before I start to trust it at all. You should try different lots of the same ammunition.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:27:48 PM EST

Once again I have crossed the line and violated arfcom law...

Does that make 100 yet?

This one quetion alone violates at least 4 arfcom mandates:

1. Using a pistol for self defense when it is well known that "The only use for a pistol is to fight your way to the rifle that you never should have put down."

2. Using a 9mm pistol when it is well known that if you are going to try and defend yourself with a handgun then you must use a caliber starting with 4.

3. Using a Glock instead of a 1911 when it is well known that Glocks will only blow up in your hand.

And now:

4. Using Hyrda-shocks when there are several far, far superior rounds available.

I guess I might as well shoot myself with my weapon if I'm ever attacked. At least it'll be quick...as long as my clothes don't clog up my ammo anyway.

Teh four outta five beerslayers would agree. So, didja shoot yerself, or did it blowed up ?

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:01:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:21:42 AM EST
Well, whatever ammo you choose, my recommendation is shoot a coupla hundred in an already proved 100% reliable gun before using it as carry ammo.

I like to do this in 2 range sessions. First one is in a squeaky clean gun and squeaky clean mags.

Second round will be with a filthy gun and filthy mags.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:27:55 AM EST
I bet it would be almost plesant to get shot with Hydrashocks, the way some of you talk.

I don't know about you, but by the sounds of it I bet the OP could put 3-5 center of mass quite easily. He seems to PRACTICE with his stuff.

I for one would consider you armed well enough, since you practice with your hangun.

The previous words you just read on a box in your house transmitted across the netherland that is the net, are just my opinion.

Balming
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:46:42 AM EST
What ever I'm carrying I'm shooting till the slide locks back, so if a full mag doesn't get it done what will......
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:58:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:00:32 PM EST
I can't belive the idiocy in this thread!

Just because there are more recently engineered rounds, do you people think that good old Hydroshok's are just gonna "bounce off" the bad guys???

Jeez. You sound like a bunch of sheep!

**** N E W S F L A S H ****

Hits on target will still put a bad guy down.

**** T H I S J U S T I N ****

The hardest round to justify is the first one. Continue firing until the threat is defeated.

**** W E N O W R E T U R N Y O U T O Y O U R S C H E D U L E D D U B A N T E R ****

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:39:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By nationwide:

That's okay, I'm here! But the man wants hollowpoints, and we're not going to recommend a bullet that doesn't expand half the time. No one is saying they won't kill you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:03:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By nationwide:

That's okay, I'm here! But the man wants hollowpoints, and we're not going to recommend a bullet that doesn't expand half the time. No one is saying they won't kill you.

+1

Just trying to help him be the uber tacticaliest he can be.

Is that even a word.............
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:14:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Run a mag or two and call it good

Good grief, I have seen this like five times on this response. TWO MAGS ARE NOT ENOUGH.

The folks who do personal protection/CCW all say that you need a minimum of 200 rounds without malfs to insure Murphy won't be visiting with you the night some scumbag decides its a good idea to take your briefcase.

"Yo, homey - that my briefcase?" <blam blam> <blam blam> <BLAM!>
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:48:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By samsong:

Good grief, I have seen this like five times on this response. TWO MAGS ARE NOT ENOUGH.

The folks who do personal protection/CCW all say that you need a minimum of 200 rounds without malfs to insure Murphy won't be visiting with you the night some scumbag decides its a good idea to take your briefcase.

200 minimum, my carry ammo costs $22/50 for my .45ACP and $18/50 for my 9mm....my life is worth the $170 that I spent to test it. I carry Federal HSTs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:39:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:

Originally Posted By samsong:

200 minimum, my carry ammo costs $22/50 for my .45ACP and $18/50 for my 9mm....my life is worth the $170 that I spent to test it. I carry Federal HSTs.

Agreed.

The sound I don't want to hear in a social setting when I've drawn my gun and pulled the trigger is "click."
Top Top