Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 10:25:40 PM EDT
I retired this spring from the AF, and am now going back to fly some VFR to keep my time up.  In the 25 years since I last flew private, it seems that charts, etc., are harder to find (they used to be at the counter at every FBO).  So I will be using foreflight, but my current tablet is an iPad mini 3 with only 16 GB memory and no cell service.  Is this sufficient or does anyone have recommendations for another tablet?

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
iPad mini is fine, that's what I have. I'd recommend the cellular 64gb version.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
We all use regular IPads.    All the airlines, and most of the GA/Corportate world.  

They work great.   Like they were invented to be an EFB.  60 gig with att cellular.     "Ram" mount, or something like that.  

I wouldn't want to use a mini.    That would suck.   But I guess if that's all you have room for, it's better than nothing.  

Were you a pilot in the AF?    Are you going to be a civilian pro Pilot?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We all use regular IPads.    All the airlines, and most of the GA/Corportate world.  

They work great.   Like they were invented to be an EFB.  60 gig with att cellular.     "Ram" mount, or something like that.  

I wouldn't want to use a mini.    That would suck.   But I guess if that's all you have room for, it's better than nothing.  

Were you a pilot in the AF?    Are you going to be a civilian pro Pilot?
View Quote

Yes, flew mostly multi-engine turboprops in the AF, but some jet as well.  I will likely fly professional, if I manage the enthusiasm to actually fill out an application or 3.  I am getting checked out in a C172, and the mini is what I have on hand.  Memory seems to be the biggest issue, and I may need to pick up a new one specifically for foreflight.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I would get the most memory you can.  The updates, app updates, etc keep getting bigger.  I always though a mini with a yoke holder would be pretty slick for a small plane.  We use full size airs but we have quite a bit of room.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Straight out of Foreflight info:

"ForeFlight Mobile requires about 15.5GB for all of the U.S. airport diagrams, A/FD sheets, instrument procedures, documents, VFR sectionals, and IFR enroute charts".

I usually only download the portions that I regularly fly. If I go out of that area I download the extra before I launch.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Straight out of Foreflight info:

"ForeFlight Mobile requires about 15.5GB for all of the U.S. airport diagrams, A/FD sheets, instrument procedures, documents, VFR sectionals, and IFR enroute charts".

I usually only download the portions that I regularly fly. If I go out of that area I download the extra before I launch.
View Quote
The problem would come when updating.  Foreflight downloads the updates before the old charts are kicked out and will, for a couple days, require twice the storage space.

OP, you should be fine if you're only downloading 1 or 2 states worth of charts.  With no cellular chip, you won't have a GPS chip either (they're on the same board).  You won't have in flight location but that isn't a huge deal but would be great for situational awareness.

I prefer the Mini size of iPad because it fits perfectly in smaller aircraft.  I have a RAM mount with the suction cup and if placed correctly, can almost blend in to an empty spot on the instrument panel.  If you're planning on flying commercially, practically every single airline provides iPads for their crew or it's assigned to the aircraft so don't upgrade just for this.  I always recommend buying the largest size that you can afford but since you already have one and if you only plan on doing local VFR, stick with what you have and save yourself some money.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the IPad Mini here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top