Member Login

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 12:00:51 AM EST
Have you guys seen this?

Suunto Sneak Peak Next Gen Dive Computer

Curious what it can and can't do.
Wonder if it's tech-dive friendly.
Figuring since it's Suunto it'll be somewhere in the $1,200 price range. Especially if it has a compass, wireless air, and multiple gases.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:14:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2014 12:15:26 AM EST by Jake-The-Snake]
interesting.

I'm still holding until Atomic releases their wrist mount Cobalt.

Not happy with the Petrel?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:17:22 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jake-The-Snake:
interesting.
I'm still holding until Atomic releases their wrist mount Cobalt.
Not happy with the Petrel?
View Quote

Petrel is great. Took it for a wreck dive today.

Didn't know Atomic was doing a wrist mount Cobalt. Someone told me about the console version, but I'm not much of a console person. Looks to have some fantastic features... but you're also paying for them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:41:51 AM EST
Pretty colors but my d6i is plenty. For now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:46:24 AM EST
For now... :)

I'm finding this hobby to be just as expensive as guns.
Instead of guns, ammo, scopes, etc. it's computers, regs, BCs, etc.

I imagine I'm not alone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:05:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
For now... :)

I'm finding this hobby to be just as expensive as guns.
Instead of guns, ammo, scopes, etc. it's computers, regs, BCs, etc.

I imagine I'm not alone.
View Quote

I should clarify. Until I get serious into tech diving (if ever) I can't see another computer serving me better. The d6i does everything i want it to, and it has a conservative profile which I like.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:57:30 PM EST
On DRIS now...

The EON Steel computer is for active / tech divers who are looking for an easy-to-use dive computer that grows with them. The color display makes it easy to read underwater in any conditions. Customizing makes it easy to modify to every diver’s needs. It is possible to use it as a bottom timer or up to trimix with multiple gases. Free CCR (fixed point) update coming 1H / 2015.

• Full customization – modes, features, display, physical
• Steel bezel (grade 316L)
• XensationTM glass
• Hard composite case (enhanced with extra glassfiber)
• Advanced media isolated pressure sensor
• Easy to read color display (BrightseeTM technology)
• Easy to use
• Option to attach to wrist with elastomer strap or with bungee
• Full continuous decompression algorithm - Suunto FusedTM RGBM
• Air / Nitrox / Trimix support
• Multi-gas diving (up to 10 gases)
• Possible to use as gauge / bottom timer
• Timer
• Integrated tilt-compensated 3D digital compass
• Wireless air integration with up to 10 PODs (with optional Suunto tank POD)
• User updatable firmware
• Works with DM5 PC/Mac compatible software

What’s in the box?
• Suunto EON Steel
• USB Cable
• Protective boot and scratch guard
• Bungee adapters and bungee
• Quick Guide and Dive legal leaflet with warranty information

Add Air Integration with the addition of the Tank Pod Multi Hoseless Transmitter:
The Suunto Tank POD Multi is for divers looking for wireless air integration for the
Suunto EON Steel computer.
• Green blinking light indicates when the tank POD is ON (transmitting data).
• Compatible only with Suunto EON Steel dive computer
• Possibility to use multiple tank PODs at the same time
• Made in Finland.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:42:50 AM EST
$1400?! w/o transmitter?!

looks cool though, like the idea of fully customizable.

I like the button configuration on the Petrel and the x-deep better.

I'm still waiting for the Atomic Aquatics version before deciding.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:32:43 AM EST
View Quote

Yeah... the Petrel is pretty awesome.
I'll admit when I first looked at the xDeep I was turned off by the blocky look and didn't give it much chance. I didn't realize it's actually smaller and cheaper than the Petrel.
Mind you the Petrel, according to a contingent of dicks on scubaboard, is first and foremost a rebreather computer. So it has a lot of features some people may never use, myself more than likely included.

Not saying I regret not giving the xDeep a second look but... I am a little.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:26:00 PM EST

I'll admit when I first looked at the xDeep I was turned off by the blocky look and didn't give it much chance. I didn't realize it's actually smaller and cheaper than the Petrel.
Mind you the Petrel, according to a contingent of dicks on scubaboard, is first and foremost a rebreather computer. So it has a lot of features some people may never use, myself more than likely included.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There are douches everywhere!

Nice thing about the x-deep, it will back up a petrel nicely, as they use the same algorithm (when Nx or trimix updated) I didn't care for the blocky look either

Better to have abilities you may not use, then the reverse.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:01:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2014 9:12:59 PM EST by pathfinder74]
There are douches everywhere!
Nice thing about the x-deep, it will back up a petrel nicely, as they use the same algorithm (when Nx or trimix updated) I didn't care for the blocky look either
Better to have abilities you may not use, then the reverse.
View Quote

The douche count is abundant on scubaboard. I never realized divers were such arrogant snobs. Nothing at all like gun people.

Agreed on options I won't use, and if I were to upgrade the xDeep all the way to Trimix the price would be what I paid for the Petrel anyway... so the cost saving only exists if I never did Trimix. I'd like to do that at some point because Bikini is on my bucket list and by the sound of it Trimix would be the way to go for that trip. But who knows if I'll actually get around to it.

The xDeep EANx uses the Buhlmann zhl-16c, which is what the Petrel has when you set it to OC Rec mode. By using that option I think it takes at least some of the customization for conservatism out of your hands. I haven't used that mode for a dive yet. Probably try it next time I go out. Been using OC Tec with the VPM-B+2. Haven't really gotten a full grasp of the gradient factor mode yet.
The xDeep has up to 3 gases for EANx. Probably more than enough... but the Petrel has more. I haven't done more than one where I am so.. there's that.
There's an advanced EANx mode where, by first look, you can adjust the gradient factors to 3 different modes. The Petrel allows for more, but I don't know when I would ever need to do that. It's an option I don't even understand at this point.

I've been diving the Petrel next to my Suunto D4i. Noticeable differences in algorithms... as the Suunto (RGBM) actually puts me into deco after the Petrel. But that's on a single dive. I've yet to do multiple dives with both, though I've been told that's where the Suunto will punish you and you lose a lot of bottom time on each follow-on dive. I used to think that was because people using Suuntos are (1) not intentionally going into deco since it's a "rec" computer and (2) not doing multiple dives where bottom time is a major issue. I'm sure I'm probably way off on that assumption.

All the xDeep color customization seems a little gimmicky, but still neat.
The rechargeable battery seems nice... as long as it lasts for a while both short and long term. Says 1,000 life cycles... what ever that means. I don't know if they offer a service for replacing it once it starts to crap out or of there have been any reports on it getting a charge memory.

From what I've read the downloading of dive logs is a little tedious. Seems like they need to streamline that a bit. I like the Shearwater desktop, but it leaves out some input options that Suunto DM4 had, particularly air consumption. I transferred all of my dives to Subsurface but it won't sync with my Petrel so I need to import the dives after I've uploaded them through the Shearwater desktop app... so that kind of a pain in the ass too.

The strap looks pretty nice. The duel straps on the Petrel are a little annoying. I haven't switched to bungee yet.

xDeep has audible alarms. Not sure that's a perk. I have all mine turned off on my Suunto because it always annoyed everyone around me and god forbid you even suggest having audibles on the Petrel.. people lose their freaking minds.

Sounds like the buttons can accidentally be pushed. Not a major issue since it doesn't change settings, just screens, but I could see that as being somewhat annoying. Sounds like it's more common with dry-suits, which I don't need to worry about.

I like the compass on the xDeep but I also can't imagine navigating with my arm/wrist in that position through the course. I'm used to the normal "hold the compass in front of me" position or attaching it to a scooter. So, unless it had a quick-connect/-disconnect option where I could mount it to my scooter and pop it off when I ditch it to swim around, I probably wouldn't use it as much as I'd like. I like the idea of setting way-points in the compass as well. That would be awesome where I am... just not sure on the time part. If you don't have your times set up exactly right I'm curious how it would act when you hit your mark and move to the next heading before the computer. I think it lets you click to the next heading.

In terms of size comparison, I missed these two pictures before ordering the Petrel.
It's blocky, but not nearly as much taller (if at all) than I though it was compared to the Petrel.

Yeah... still trying to validate my decision to myself...

One thing I imagine is similar with both is, when diving at depths where you can still get glare on the screen, it's actually kind of a pain to try to read the display. The black BG probably doesn't help this. I've thought about getting a glare resistant screen protector for my Petrel. One option that would be nice is a "invert color" option that would put white BG on dark writing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:32:04 PM EST
It isn't all divers, just the ones that LIVE on scubaboard, or gunforums, or pilot forums, or guitar forums, or ................

gobs of douches.

I thought VPM-b was an option, and that Buhlmanns ZHL-16C with gradient factors, was the standard. The cobalt uses RGBM, but it must be a different version than Suunto, as it seems a little bit less conservative.

I love the fact the Petrel takes AA batteries.

Still, I'd like to see the new Suunto as well.

Guess I'm a gear whore
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:04:25 AM EST
gobs of douches.

I thought VPM-b was an option, and that Buhlmanns ZHL-16C with gradient factors, was the standard. The cobalt uses RGBM, but it must be a different version than Suunto, as it seems a little bit less conservative.

Guess I'm a gear whore
View Quote

I get confused on which one is an extra.. VPM is the extra add-on.
I"m a gear whore too. Thinking the xDeep might make a suitable back-up... I can pawn my D4i off on my wife. Mooohahahaha
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:15:09 PM EST
Thats the only complaint I have about having a wife that dives, I don't have anyone to help keep my spending in check. She's always asking where hers is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:25:10 AM EST
Thats the only complaint I have about having a wife that dives, I don't have anyone to help keep my spending in check. She's always asking where hers is.
View Quote

My wife isn't into gadgets so much. Although she did want to try my TransPac, so at least she's open to trying different kit.

She's also getting bored with shore dives in our area... so of course I'll parlay that as an excuse to buy a boat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:44:58 PM EST

She's also getting bored with shore dives in our area... so of course I'll parlay that as an excuse to buy a boat.
View Quote

I *cough* feel bad for her! (just kidding)

We dive in cold lakes where 30' of viz is AWESOME!!! and get excited to see a big northern or muskie.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:00:31 AM EST

We dive in cold lakes where 30' of viz is AWESOME!!! and get excited to see a big northern or muskie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah... it's a hard life. She likes diving the wrecks... but doesn't like going inside them. So eventually she'll get bored with those as well.
There's always the coral head that reliably has sharks...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:19:13 AM EST
@pathfinder74 - Does the EON have any audible alarms? I rushed through the specs and didn't see any. My son and I both use Cobalts and we've grown fond of its audible alarms.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:20:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 7:20:44 PM EST by pathfinder74]
Originally Posted By CAC01:
@pathfinder74 - Does the EON have any audible alarms? I rushed through the specs and didn't see any. My son and I both use Cobalts and we've grown fond of its audible alarms.
View Quote

Not sure. Doesn't say anything on the Suunto site
It used to be on DRIS, but I can't seem to pull it up.

No mention of one here

Maybe in the video that I don't have time to watch right this minute?

But you can get this sporty rubber cover and bungee mount.
Page General » SCUBA
Top Top