Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/9/2002 4:18:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:25:11 PM EDT
since I am a long term INVESTOR, I don't look at it on a year per year basis. Rather I look at my gains or losses from when I made my investment. Ex: I started an IRA in 94 for $750 it is now a lil over $6000
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:26:33 PM EDT
Not too bad. Just playing around nothing serious yet.. Last buy made up for a bad turn in the spring.. Bought at 14.25 now at 23...
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:29:35 PM EDT
I am LT's antithesis. I trade options, sometimes holding for less than a day. I was doing great early in the year, up 320%. But I have given almost all of it back due to a 6-month losing streak (which hasn't broken yet [:(] ). So I ended up 74%.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:37:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: I am LT's antithesis. I trade options, sometimes holding for less than a day. I was doing great early in the year, up 320%. But I have given almost all of it back due to a 6-month losing streak (which hasn't broken yet [:(] ). So I ended up 74%.
View Quote
Hey now, OPTIONS. Now yer talking!!! [:D] I'm not against day trading, but rather don't see day trading as a form of investing. It is a form of nationally legalized gambling as far as I am concerned. Hell a good Vegas poker player can win millions at times, much like a day trader. He can also loose that in one sitting, much like a day trader. So just cause you are playing with stocks, does not mean you are an investor in my book. But hey it is fun [:)] Much like gambling in Vegas is. I do play with options. Have not done it in the past 2 yrs. But I don't plan on making bank on it. Purely for fun and test myself to see if I can predict the market. My first year of doing this I lost close to $15K. Just imagine how many firearms I coulda bought with that [:(] Made it back since then though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:40:57 PM EDT
I had a small windfall that happened about a week after Sept. 11... I was fortunate enough to put a couple grand into a mid cap growth fund at the market's lowest point. I bought at @ 18.20 a share... it's now come back to a near 52 week high at around 24.30 a share; an almost instant return of 30%. I feel kind of guilty about profiting from our tragedy, but it was something that I'd intended to do beforehand, and the timing just worked in my favor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:41:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:54:40 PM EDT
I just ran into a High School friend, he was in shock,, WHy? he just made $500,000 in the market. HE started 9-22,,,,, bought when the market dropped.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:16:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2002 5:18:00 PM EDT by raven]
Originally Posted By lordtrader: Hey now, OPTIONS. Now yer talking!!! [:D] I'm not against day trading, but rather don't see day trading as a form of investing. It is a form of nationally legalized gambling as far as I am concerned. Hell a good Vegas poker player can win millions at times, much like a day trader. He can also loose that in one sitting, much like a day trader. So just cause you are playing with stocks, does not mean you are an investor in my book. But hey it is fun [:)] Much like gambling in Vegas is.
View Quote
It's not too much fun if you always lose. The way I'm doing, I'd have better odds in Vegas. Seriously, I am doing terribly. I used to be correct 40-60% of the time. You know what my winning trade record has been for the past 6 months? 7%!!! [:I] The only reason I'm not ruined is because I never stake more than 10% of my money on one trade, and never accept losses of more than 10%. Still, it's eating me away. I can't seem to spot opportunities like I used to. [BD]
I do play with options. Have not done it in the past 2 yrs. But I don't plan on making bank on it. Purely for fun and test myself to see if I can predict the market. My first year of doing this I lost close to $15K. Just imagine how many firearms I coulda bought with that [:(] Made it back since then though.
View Quote
Good deal. I intended to make this my career, I dont really get any intrinsic value from trading though. It's not fun, or an adrenaline rush, or anything. I just figured if I'm right 50% of the time and just cut my losses before they get big, I should do ok. This theory has been sorely tested lately.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:10:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:14:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Waldo: Maybe you misunderstood my post.
View Quote
I misunderstand a lot of things and I'm very opinionated, so don't mind me [;)]
Top Top