Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/15/2002 9:07:44 PM EDT
How may of you have Sprint PCS service. What do you think of them?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:17:59 PM EDT
Both me and my wife have it with their 8500 phones. We pay $75 a month for both and that includes 500 anytime minutes, 4500 night/weekend, and internet. Internet comes in pretty handy sometimes when I'm in the car or shopping with the wife. The clarity is outstanding in both digital and analog modes. Every now and then the signal will fade(which may be called a dropped call). Overall I am very happy with spring PCS, less the occasional signal fade. You need to check you coverage area as Sprint towers usually follow major roads and highways. Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:36:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:03:30 PM EDT
I had it for 3 years. 500 min for 50 bucs a month. It was good in the home area, but when I went to NM it was only good in Santa Fe and Albuquerque. 65 cents a min roaming plus long distance charges. I have att one rate now 450 min for 60 bucks a month, but no roaming and no long distance. It has worked everywhere I went. Sometimes only analog, but it worked. John
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:08:30 PM EDT
Look at their coverage map and see if you think it is truly a "Nationwide Network" as they advertise. They just announced they are laying off 2 or 3 thousand people because they are no longer needed, thanks to their computerized account service, etc. Well in fact the reason people are using these high tech options is because they made you wait a minimum of 15 min in my experience to actually talk to a person that was usually poorly trained. Most of the time it was even longer. So you have no choice but to use the computer by phone or by web to dela with it. I have lots of trouble with dropped calls and even in the middle of a large city have to stand outside at a certain area of the deck to minimize the dropped calls. East of Sacramento, the phone wouldn't work at all. A year or more ago they told me they had NO service in Nevada (don't know if this has changed. I got the 500 min anytime with long distance plan. Which is more than I usually use, but now the son has a girlfiend away at college so we use up 90% or more or it. However, now I can get $.03 per minute by using a TCI prepaid USA Express (www.tciprepaid.com) phone card, which is the best deal I've found so far. No connection fee or per week fee, it just expires 3 months after the first use, so don't leave it laying around. I buy these at the corner store. No standing out in the cold or rain.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:17:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:44:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer: Let me say this. Sprint PCS is hands down the biggest POS cellular company out there. PCS coverage is a joke. The billing department is horrible. I was constantly having my payments applied to the wrong account and others payments applied to mine. To sum it up after one year of nothing but headaches my sprint pcs phone became a fantastic 50 yrd target for my garand. I wouldn't give my ex wife a sprint PCS phone. Simply put they are the spawn of satan and should be returned to the 5th plane of hell from whence they came. that's about the most polite thing i have to say about them.
View Quote
Ditto, except my phone is yet to become a small bore rifle target.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:44:00 AM EDT
Is Sprint not an anti company? Didn't they help sponsor the MMM or other such BS?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:14:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2002 6:14:23 AM EDT by Waverunner]
Maybe I'm just a minority opinion but I'm very happy with Sprint PCS. 2800 off-peak minutes/200 primary minutes for $35.98(total) a month in my part of NY and most importantly I can actually use the phone w/o static, dropped calls and weak signals. I also have an AT&T cellphone which I only use at work in Manhattan becuase their reception is really sketchy in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:42:46 AM EDT
I think Sprint is stretching the truth about nationwide PCS coverage. My wife's co-worker had to cancel her Sprint PCS because the system would keep in dropping her during a call. In the San Gabriel Valley, 10 minutes east of L.A. Calif., Sprint coverage seems to be kind of spotty as of 1/1/2001.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2002 12:11:43 PM EDT by sherm8404]
It's a gimmick but I guess it means when you have a working Sprint PCS phone to your ear you really can call anyone in the country.(LIKE EVERY OTHER CELL PHONE!) But, I'm with Wave, I'm actually pretty happy with the PCS. I'm in North Carolina and to call home in NY is a "local" call. I limit my calling to the nights and weekends and haven't gone over my alloted minutes. Coverage can be spotty. In Baltimore Wash I'ntl Airport I get analog roaming inside the middle of the bldg, but digital service by the windows. I get the same thing in many bldgs in Lejeune. If you got to the PCS store(stay away from Radio Shack or other vendors) they can show you, by you giving them your address or anticipated locations exactly where the coverage is or isn't. I've got no probs in NC. The first stop was in Radio Shack, the phone prices where higher and selection was nowhere near as good at the PCS store. Sherm
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:28:55 PM EDT
I have to agree with most everything said, both good and bad. Here on the east coast, coverage is pretty good. But you might want to hound them for more detailed coverage areas before you sign. I don't think west of the Mississippi is covered as good. Granted I'm in a mountainous area, I've sometimes been in sight of the tower and still couldn't connect. Sprint also seems to be bad about signal strength. I can have no signal, full strength, then a weak one while standing in one spot and watching the phone. Even in the middle of Charlotte, coverage can be spotty at times. Overall, their plans are pretty good, but actual use is something else. I do enjoy the free long distance option. My wife and I were recently in Cincinnati, and some calls were made to W. Va and Indy from there. All I used were minutes. I keep my phone set to Sprint PCS only. Roaming at 69 cents a minute- screw that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:57:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer: Let me say this. Sprint PCS is hands down the biggest POS cellular company out there. PCS coverage is a joke. The billing department is horrible. I was constantly having my payments applied to the wrong account and others payments applied to mine. To sum it up after one year of nothing but headaches my sprint pcs phone became a fantastic 50 yrd target for my garand. I wouldn't give my ex wife a sprint PCS phone. Simply put they are the spawn of satan and should be returned to the 5th plane of hell from whence they came. that's about the most polite thing i have to say about them.
View Quote
I couldn't have said it better myself!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:04:16 PM EDT
I have no complaints at all about our Sprint phones. My wife and I share 600 anytime minutes, 5400 night and weekend, free long distance anywhere in the country, for $70 a month. The signal is incredibly clear and I have only found a couple very small spots without coverage. No problem with billing either.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:34:20 PM EDT
I’ve had no problems with it, but I must admit I have the El Cheapo $18 a month service (10 free minutes!!). My recollection is that there are two types of Sprint cell phones. The cheap single band ones that work only on the Sprint digital network; and more expensive two band phones (which I’ve got) which let’s you use both their digital network and analogue carriers that Sprint has contracted with for service outside their network. I’ve successfully used my phone in the hills of West Virginia, which to me is the acid test for any cell phone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:02:11 PM EDT
Had US Cellular for years and got tired of them lying to me about EVERYTHING. Dumb shit sales and service people! Switched to Sprint POS oops PCS. What bull shit they are worst than the other one! I want to go back to US Cellular or maybe Nextel so at least I don't drop a call while sitting in a chair! I can loose service and go to roam when walking down my driveway to check the mail. 25 Feet! [:(!]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:14:17 PM EDT
If you only need service in Big Metro areas and along heavily traveled highways PCS would do. Being at 1900 Mhz, they have to build a sh*t load of sites to equal 800Mhz coverage. If you require rural coverage, go with the most established carrier in your area that is at 800Mhz (US Cell, ATT, etc). Most of these companies have installed digital service (CDMA/TDMA) in the metro areas which has the same features of PCS (depends on carrier). Billing is the bear of every company. They install a multi-million dollar system to automate it, then turn it over to a bunch of minimum wage/ high turn-over positions to deal with it. Just my insider $.02
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:02:40 AM EDT
I use Sprint PCS and like it. I have 1000 peak and 1000 off-peak for $75.00 per month. I have no troble with it in Las Vegas or Reno and I can use the phone all the way from Las Vegas to So Cali.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:06:26 AM EDT
They have very limited coverage around here. Not good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:47:01 PM EDT
Sprint SUCKS !! I'm in Virginia and have problems all the time with dropped calls, weak signal or strong I have problems all the time. Sprint is on my shit list as they will be hearing from me soon about this as I intend to pay the penalty fee and dump them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 1:56:19 PM EDT
I hate Sprint too. I had them for three years and they were HORRIBLE for the last 1.5 years. Phone wouldn't ring sometimes, couldn't use it in my house, dropped calls, etc. Sprint told me it was because the towers were showing problems. Did they fix it? No. Still, a year later, they are not fixed. I switched to Verizon with a tri-mode phone and it rocks. NO weak spots yet anywhere I have gone, and the phone seems to switch modes seemlessly. Also, no extra charges for anolog or digital roaming. I was happy with Sprint in NYC, but that's the only place.
Top Top