Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 4:24:20 PM EST
I just got off the phone with a representative of USAA because I saw an ad for a fake cabineer clip in a Army Times issue a few weeks ago it has a digital clock and compass on it and it was for free so I had the ad laying around and decided to call up. Well they took all my info and my social security number and when I gave it to the lady she read it back a few times and I'm like ya thats my social security number. Well apparently someone has an account with USAA WITH MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, WTF!?!?! It had a completely different name and address so I doubt identify theft but seriously whats with that and what should I do and should I be concerned?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:25:39 PM EST
SSN's are unique(DUHH) Be scared. Be very Scared You may be
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:28:47 PM EST
are you sure she/you didn't confuse your SSN with your USAA membership #
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:30:05 PM EST
You need to do some investiging. Forgive my ignorance, but what is USAA and why are you giving them your SSN in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:31:57 PM EST
USAA is a bank/insurance/investing etc company for the armed force. I think it stands for Unites States Armed forces Association?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:32:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By cnorton:
You need to do some investiging. Forgive my ignorance, but what is USAA and why are you giving them your SSN in the first place?

USAA insurance for vets
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:33:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By ar50troll:

Originally Posted By cnorton:

USAA insurance for vets

Thanks ar50troll.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:35:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:38:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
USAA is an automobile insurance company originally founded by and for Army Officers, it is now available to all those who served in the Army. They are a very good company. I have been using them since I was sixteen, when I was in the Army it pissed off more than one NCO when they saw that a lowly private had USAA and they couldn't get it back then.

now anyone who is a dependent of someone who served in the Military can now get it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:40:04 PM EST
USAA = United States Automobile Association

It is a VERY good insurance company that does business with officers and senior enlisted personnel in the Armed Services, as well as members of the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.

It was originally founded to ensure Army officers, and is widely considered to be one of the finest insurance companies in the country.

I've been a member since 1996, and their service and rates are nothing short of phenominal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:57:32 PM EST

I think they opened it to all enlisted now. That's why their claims went through the roof.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:27:28 AM EST
US Assurance Association. (Not that it really matters)Originally Army Officers, then all officers and then enlisted and in some states anybody but they go into essentially an assigned risk type category.

Branched inot other insurances and then financial services. If somebody is using your SSN get ahold of USAA NOW, it may be a mistake like a typo, or then again it may not be so innocent. USAA worked with me to contact credit reporting agencies when it appeared that I had been target by an identity theft scam. I think they real be aggresive in figuring out what the problem is, even if it is just a typo the other person's gains or losses may be getting reported to the IRS on YOUR number. And trying to fix that after the end of the reporting year would be a real pain for all concerned.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:42:31 AM EST
A few years back, I worked on my company's long-term disabilty system, we found that there are some SSNs that are not unique, ie the same SSN can be issued to 2 individuals.

Here in Kali-fornia, the state finally did somehting right, they passed a law mandating that you can't use SSN as an account number.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:22:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:24:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 4:25:42 AM EST by wedge1082]
I would just talk to USAA about this. They have always been more than helpful with me on anything that I have ever asked about.

USAA member since 1992.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:24:55 AM EST
The first 3 digits of your SS tells you what State you were born in.

example: 000 to 128 is NY state.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:27:46 AM EST
You may also want to call up each of the 3-4 credit bureaus and get a copy of your credit reports. Just to make sure there's no other SNAFU's on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:29:19 AM EST
member since 1993.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:45:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 4:46:08 AM EST by TomJefferson]
Top Top