Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:28:40 PM EDT
I was able to participate in my local department's training today as a role player (I'm a reserve officer with the department). We were using the simunition guns and going through some traffic stop scenarios. One was a re-creation of the Deputy Dinkheller shooting. The officers just watched the video last month at their training yet I was amazed at the number of officer that let me get back to my car and pull out the long gun. Many shot as the weapon came out but there were many "learning experiences" as well. They had no back up and most did not wait too long to act. Most closed the distance and did not let me get too far.

The other scenario was a DWI stop where I had a knife and was to pull it on the officers during the walk (Heel toe) and turn part of field sobriety. Most officers did not pat me down before the tests. I am amazed that more shit doesn't happen during field sobriety as the officers are in close proximety to the suspect. There were many "learning experiences" with this scenario as well. I was able to get the knife out just about every time. They had no back up.

Lessons learned:
1. Never get too relaxed. My traffic law enforcement professor was right-no such thing as a routine traffic stop.
2. The 21 foot rule is real and in many cases 21 feet was really ten or less. (they didn't have a chance)
3. Liability hesitation only came up once. Most of the time I got lit up.
4. After fighting with one officer during the DWI-knife scenario I was able to get his gun without being shot. BAD IDEA (even in training) Scenario leaders liked it but the officer kicked my ass. He got cut and shot but still kicked my ass.
5. Wearing a vest during training is not being a wuss. Officers routinely empty mags and reload only to empty that one too.
6. Rounds on target leave welts and draw blood-very bad when combined with #5.

Bottom line is that this was an awesome experience and I learned a lot that I will take back to my paying job as a campus biatch. (Non-sworn and not ragging on any other campus guys-I love my job!) I can't wait for next Tuesday when the other half of the department gets it.
Thought some might find it interesting. I am interested to see if anyone has done this as well and what their results were. Thanks for listening.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent info!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Sims is some damn good shit, aint it  ?!??!!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]

I am amazed that more shit doesn't happen during field sobriety as the officers are in close proximety to the suspect.

It usually happens afterwards when they are placed under arrest.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
we did that once at my highschool.  Was a big anti-terrorism drill.  We used paintball guns, and one of the scenarios was a group of us "terrorists" had hostages in the local highschool, and the tactical team did the whole CQB thing on us.  We're a small town, so we couldn't really afford simunitions, but there was a bunch of paintball guns.  I got to use my tricked out Model 98 custom with all my goodies.  I'll admit I got a couple of the entry team once..... but that's it.  Those guys do know their shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#5]
good job!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Good debrief.

I love sim training.  You tend to play the game a little different when you can get shot.  It takes active shooter training to a whole new level.

NorCal  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Sim training is fun.

on 2: Do the knife drill often.  A buddy of mine has a training studio in his basement well equipped with a heavy bag, kick pads, a BOB, blue guns, training knives, etc.  In practice we've found the teuller (sp?) drill easy enough given 21 feet or less room and a large area to retreat.  The problem is in the vast majority of cases 21 feet is the exception to the rule.  We practiced that particular drill down to point blank using every angle of attack.  Both of us know how to handle a knife too.  It was incredibly intense.  We came to the conclusion that in enclosed area's at close distances, don't even think about going to the gun until you've dealt with the knife.  We found the best way to do this was controlling the knife hand with both hands and pulling the guy off balance and sweeping.  Once off balance and on his ass, draw and make a judgement call.

on 5: You are cops, you wear vests.  Train how you fight.  I did sim training in a T-shirt last time because i carry a handgun in a civillian capacity and the only time i wear a vest is on duty when i can't carry.

on 6: simunitions cut out the hero shit you get when using airsoft.  People will run out in the open and take 2 dozen hits with an airsoft and laugh it off.  when those sim round hit, no one is laughing, and no one is volunteering to break cover.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top