Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:49:55 AM EDT
Started the new job and they require me to go through their police academy even though I don't have to.  Anyways, we've been running a mile and a half every couple of days and then the other days we do a few rounds of weight circuits.  I've been having pain on the sides of my shin when I barely touch them and it hurts like hell.  Instructors are saying oh you're fine it's just sore because of muscles you aren't used to using.  Well, that sounded good for the first two weeks but now it hurts so bad I seriously want to cry.  Any chance it could actually be something else?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV or the Internet, but . . .

Shin Splints can hurt really bad so it is possible that is all you have.  That said, it could also be a stress fracture.  If your concerned, why not visit your MD and have him check it out.

If it's shin splints, Tylenol and stretching will help.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine hurt the worst when climbing stairs. I started streching and they went away.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Yo J

A friend of mine is a sports Chiropractor and plays for our flagfootball team(So we get to tap that knowledge fountain for free)

Anyways, we have another friend with the same type of problems, it ended up getting better by doing calf stretches and raises from the toe. I'll see if I can get you the routine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
My first question to anybody who starts running and us complaining about foot pain. Are you running in running shoes. I am talking about actual running shoes, Not basketball shoes, football cleats or hiking boots. Go to a running store and get fit for an actual pair of running. and you only use these shoes for running. You might be an over pronator or something. They can get you into the right pair of shoes that will help eliminate alot of pain. Also you might want to see a podiatrist and get a set of custom made Orthotics (inserts for your shoes).
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
That is all you have. You need to take a break or what you got to do is work out the musscle that hurts. You take a weight something like 2 to 10 pounds and put it on your foor and raise your foot as much as you can with out takeing your heal off the ground. It will take a while to build the musscle up It runs along you shin. It takes around 2-3 weeks after your last run for it to go away 100%. I use to do gym with them and it hurt like hell but you can run with it. Matter afact i'm getting them again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Adam, this is what happens when you avoid exercise for half a decade.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:09:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Adam, this is what happens when you avoid exercise for half a decade.

Shit...try for about 9 years!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Shin splints were a problem for me. Then, someone showed me a simple stretch to do before/after running, and my shin-splints went away and never came back.

I walked on my heals for about 30sec before/after a run and that stopped them from happening again to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top