Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2001 7:25:28 AM EDT

I am in the process of selling one of my firearms, a Beneilli M1 and would like to know what is the legal protocol in doing so.  If I were to advertise on ar15.com or similar websites, how do I go about the transfer of the firearm from the previous owner (me) to the new owner?

I am a California resident.  

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 2:16:26 PM EDT
You get the money and a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL from the buyer. You ship the gun (via UPS probably) to the address on the FFL. You can check with UPS for the protocol. At least that is the way it works most places. The receiving dealer handles the transfer on his end and charges the buyer for the work. You have transferred the gun to an FFL dealer so you are legal as can be.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 2:31:52 PM EDT
Oslow is 100% right as to the legalities of the transfer process, but some dealers mistakenly believe that interstate and intrastate sales must go from you to your FFL to the buyer's FFL to the buyer.  It isn't necessary per the BATF, but if the buyer's FFL demands it, figure the extra cost into the price.  If you sell to a local California resident, you just do a private party transfer at a willing dealer.  Most will charge $25 for that service.  Those who don't are raided by CA DOJ. [:O]
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 1:56:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2001 2:11:44 AM EDT by Oslow]
Dave G makes a good point. Just because you now know what is required, doesn't mean everyone else does. Make sure the buyer and the buyer's FFL understand that the gun is coming from a private party. Make sure the FFL you receive is current and signed. Check out this link to Gunbroker. Go to "FOR SELLERS", Go to "Verify an FFL License".

Top Top