Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2001 7:25:28 AM EDT
Hello,

I am in the process of selling one of my firearms, a Beneilli M1 and would like to know what is the legal protocol in doing so.  If I were to advertise on ar15.com or similar websites, how do I go about the transfer of the firearm from the previous owner (me) to the new owner?

I am a California resident.  

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You get the money and a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL from the buyer. You ship the gun (via UPS probably) to the address on the FFL. You can check with UPS for the protocol. At least that is the way it works most places. The receiving dealer handles the transfer on his end and charges the buyer for the work. You have transferred the gun to an FFL dealer so you are legal as can be.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Oslow is 100% right as to the legalities of the transfer process, but some dealers mistakenly believe that interstate and intrastate sales must go from you to your FFL to the buyer's FFL to the buyer.  It isn't necessary per the BATF, but if the buyer's FFL demands it, figure the extra cost into the price.  If you sell to a local California resident, you just do a private party transfer at a willing dealer.  Most will charge $25 for that service.  Those who don't are raided by CA DOJ. [:O]
Link Posted: 3/8/2001 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Dave G makes a good point. Just because you now know what is required, doesn't mean everyone else does. Make sure the buyer and the buyer's FFL understand that the gun is coming from a private party. Make sure the FFL you receive is current and signed. Check out this link to Gunbroker. Go to "FOR SELLERS", Go to "Verify an FFL License".

[url]http://gunbroker.com/home.asp[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top