Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2005 11:34:59 AM EDT
How much do I need to spend on a new sump pump?

I see home depot has them priced around $100

how many GPH do I need to pump for a normal basement?

any preferred brand?

ALSO -

why does my existing sump pump plug into a single plug outlet? why not a normal double outlet? to keep you from overloading the circuit breaker?

I am getting a battery backup unit also and I need a spot to plug in the charger. can i put a double outlet in?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 12:36:08 PM EDT by napalm]

Originally Posted By red65:
ALSO -

why does my existing sump pump plug into a single plug outlet? why not a normal double outlet? to keep you from overloading the circuit breaker?

I am getting a battery backup unit also and I need a spot to plug in the charger. can i put a double outlet in?

thanks

I am not an electrician, but IIRC this is due to electric installation codes. Double sockets in potentially wet areas (garage, bathroom, basement) are required to be GFCI. A single plug was installed (perfectly within code) which allows them to not have to use GFCI plugs. That is preferable in your case because you don't want the circuit breaking and stopping your sump pump when you need it most (when your basement is wet).

If you install a double outlet technically it should be to code and be GFCI.

Also consider a generator purchase to power your sump pump for extended power outages.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:51:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

Originally Posted By red65:
ALSO -

thanks

I am not an electrician, but IIRC this is due to electric installation codes. Double sockets in potentially wet areas (garage, bathroom, basement) are required to be GFCI. A single plug was installed (perfectly within code) which allows them to not have to use GFCI plugs. That is preferable in your case because you don't want the circuit breaking and stopping your sump pump when you need it most (when your basement is wet).

If you install a double outlet technically it should be to code and be GFCI.

Also consider a generator purchase to power your sump pump for extended power outages.

+1 to the single outlet is best, and easier than a generator is a battery system.

Here is a battery backup sump pump company, you use both the regular AC and the backup in the same sump well. The backup ones also have a computer module that causes them to test themselves automatically and trigger if the main pump is not able to flow fast enough.

www.basementwatchdog.com/

You can still add a generator and have it power your battery powered pump.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:22:00 PM EDT
Size of pump mostly depends upon the required lift (how many feet from the bottom of the sump to the peak point where it is being pumped). I really bought too much pump--3/4 HP when I could have gotten away with a 1/4 HP pump since mine is pumping up at most 10 feet.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:59:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gunman0:
+1 to the single outlet is best, and easier than a generator is a battery system.
=

Definitely true on the ease of use. I meant get the generator as a backup to the battery.
Top Top