Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 9:27:45 PM EDT
What are these little hellspawn? I moved my safe out from the wall and there was a bunch of them behind the safe and it looks like a piece of paper that had fallen behind the safe a while ago was eaten by these little buggers... paper ended up looking like wormwood. Once in a while I see them. Do they belong to the roach family? What ever they are....

.... I dont like them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap - it's been YEARS since i've seen those little guys.

PROLLY at least 10 or 15 years
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate those creepy little bastards too,remind me of those creatures on the Wrath of Kahn.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've prolly seen two or three over the past year, hate em.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Kill them all!!!

Squish 'em with yer' shoe!

Prolly have to hit 'em twice though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
STOP WITH THE "PROLLY" CRAP!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Seriously, are you surprised?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate them fuckers more then I do roaches.  Roach killer will work on them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, are you surprised?

Well actually............................ummmmmm
no.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Back to the topic at hand.... are they come kind of roach though??

And do they eat paper or was it something else that did that??
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#10]
To be serious for a moment - my impression that silverfish eat stuff like crumbs, old food, etc.  If you keep your kitchen meticulously clean, that should get rid of them by itself.

Howver, I have some vague recollection fo seeing them in my bathroom in denmark, and since I didn't keep food there, that makes no sense.

Hmm - I am making no sense.

I wonder if thise half-empty bottle of port has anything to do with that?

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never seen them before. Lucky for me, huh.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7475.html

If the pages and bindings of books in your bookcase have been chewed on, suspect the look-alike household pests--silverfish and firebrats.

DESCRIPTION
Silverfish are shiny, silver or pearl gray, and firebrats are shiny, mottled gray. Adults of both are slender, wingless, soft-bodied insects 1/3 to 1/2 inch long. They have scaly bodies that taper gradually to the rear with two slender antennae in front and three long, thin appendages in back. The presence of scales around or under the damage is a good indication that these pests are the culprits.

HABITS
During the day, both silverfish and firebrats hide. If the object they are hiding under is moved, they dart toward another hiding place. They come out at night to seek food and water. Items on their preferred menu are cereals, moist wheat flour, books, any paper on which there is glue or paste, sizing in paper (including wallpaper) and book bindings, and starch in clothing. They can live for several months without food.

WHERE FOUND
Silverfish live and develop in damp, cool places, particularly in basements and laundry rooms. Firebrats thrive best in very warm, moist places. They may be found around ovens, heating units, fireplaces, hot water pipes, the attic in summer, and near the furnace in winter. In apartments and homes, the insects crawl along pipelines and through openings in the walls or floors from basements to rooms above.

Silverfish and firebrats can be found in any part of the home. Because they are seeking food, they choose bookcases, closets, and places where books, clothing, starch, or sugar foods are available. They hide in baseboards and around window and door frames from which they seek out food sources. Sometimes they are seen in the bathtub or sink. They do not crawl up through the drain, but fall in and cannot climb up the slippery sides to escape.

Large numbers of these insects may invade new homes from surrounding wild areas, especially as these areas dry in summer. They may be brought in on lumber, wallboard, or similar products. Freshly laid cement and green lumber supply humidity, and wallpaper paste provides them with food.

MANAGEMENT
To keep silverfish and firebrats away, keep basements, laundry rooms, and bathrooms, especially shower stalls, clean and dry. Plug or putty holes or spaces around pipes. Repair leaks and drips in plumbing. Clean out closets periodically. Collections of magazines, papers, and books provide food for them. Occasionally, move books around in a bookcase. Keep foods in containers with tight lids.

There are several kinds of commercially available products that control silverfish or firebrats: household sprays containing various pyrethroids (such as bifenthrin, tetramethrin, phenothrin), dusts, boric acid powder, and foggers are labeled for control of these pests. Insecticides are not needed, however, for the control of a few solitary insects, and their use should be reserved for large infestations. If an occasional stray firebrat or silverfish is observed, it can be killed easily with a rolled-up newspaper.

Granular and dust baits are available and can be very effective if placed closer to the pests’ shelter than other food sources.

To use an aerosol spray, apply it directly to cracks in doors and window casings, baseboards, closets, bookcases, and places where pipes go through walls. Caution: Some sprays have oil solution bases; do not apply these near electric motors, gas pilot flames, or other places where they may start fires. Follow label directions and cautions.

To use dusts or boric acid powder, apply them with a bulb duster, powder blower, or a plastic squeeze bottle to leave a fine layer of the material in the area to be treated. If the layer is too thick, the surface will be slippery. Puff in places mentioned above for sprays, paying special attention to cracks and crevices. Follow label directions and cautions. Inorganic dusts such as boric acid and silica gel remain effective indefinitely in dry locations. If they get wet, they become too packed for easy pickup by the insects, so re-treat the area.

Foggers are not generally recommended to treat silverfish and firebrats unless the infestation is severe. Be sure to read the label directions carefully and follow all instructions.
A properly and thoroughly applied insecticide will show results in a few weeks. If control is not achieved in 2 or 3 weeks, silverfish are probably coming from untreated areas. Seek these areas out for treatment and also eliminate water sources--large populations of silverfish and firebrats cannot be controlled unless their water sources are eliminated.

In general, bait packets have not been very successful in treating silverfish and firebrats because these pests tend not to feed on them.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#13]
ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2108.html

A quick read of that should answer most of your questions.

And for more info, ask Dr. Google

Edit: Beat by 26 seconds...

Jonathan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top