Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2001 1:45:30 PM EDT
Do any of you really think there is something that will cause this oversold fantasy to be a reality?
Rapture?
Economic collapse?
End of 2nd Amm?
What??? I dont see it.[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree I don't think a fantasy will happen like that.  At least I hope it don't.  I own my firearms to protect my family and property against criminals and/or wildlife.  However,  how to you define a SHTF senario?  Is it a foreign invasion? Or would it be considered an attack on my household by a criminal?  I guess that would be a matter of opinion.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
i believe that given the past, the 2nd ammendment, will see its limits pushed far beyond the breaking point, and that in turn could cause TSHTF.

however it happens, i am going to spend the time until it does, getting prepared
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree I don't think a fantasy will happen like that.  At least I hope it don't.  I own my firearms to protect my family and property against criminals and/or wildlife.  However,  how to you define a SHTF senario?  Is it a foreign invasion? Or would it be considered an attack on my household by a criminal?  I guess that would be a matter of opinion.
View Quote

I dont count foreign invasion for two reasons:
1- It`s highly unlikely
2 It would be a war and would pull Americans together like they never have had reason to before
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Once, when I was a kid, my friend Jacob took some shit from my dog Rubie, and threw it up in my parents cealing-fan.

They never let him come back.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh man, you just reminded me. When I was a youngun` I was at a carnevil and ate too much sweets and junk. When my friend and I went on the octopus I should`ve known it was time to go, but my friend talked me into going in the moon bounce. For those who were too young, there was a large bubble that was filled with air via a fan, the kids would be in the bubble and bounce around like idiots. Anyway there is a 3 foot hole with a screen and a fan filling the bubble with air. It was the first place I could get to to puke. It went everywhere, on the equipment in little girls hair, in my face. I mean everywhere. Guess who started the chain reaction vomiting, my friend. I counted 4 people hurling before I could get to the door. Just fucking perfect.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I only see one real SHTF senario which is a real possiblity.  And that being the Earth being struck by a meteor or comet. Ask any scientist and it's not a question of if but when.  After all it did cause the extintion of the dinosaurs.  Man being a bit more intelligent would find a way to survive, well some of us.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
SHTF?? It's happening right now!
How many people already got screwed from mercury poisening from burning fossil fuels?
You could live in the middle of nowhere but DON'T eat the fish!
Me extreme? no not me.....we already did ourselves in...................it's all a matter of time 10 yrs 50? who knows but it's comming.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#8]
RICH314,

In your opinion do you think that, for example, a home invasion by thugs could be a SHTF senario?  And if so, would it be enough to plan for?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure SHTF is when it happens to you. Home invasion is a real possibility and with todays technology there's allot of cheap stuff you can do to give you an early warning. It's not being paranoid but rather practical.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
No thats not what I`m talking about. I think most people think of SHTF as being something more than a riot. Close to nation wide.
While home invasions are the scariest thing I prepare for I`m not talking about that cause it is an everyday reality, the fear of, that is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]
sure it might happen soon. if los angles looses power for more than a day or if all Kali is out of power.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#12]
In that case I have to agree with you 100%.  I think that economic collapse is possible just very unlikely.  Even if the 2nd amendment was repealed most of us gun owners are law abiding citizens anyway.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#13]
In that case I have to agree with you 100%.  I think that economic collapse is possible just very unlikely.  Even if the 2nd amendment was repealed most of us gun owners are law abiding citizens anyway.
View Quote
I agree. If the second dies it will be a few folks up in arms but too many are warm and cozy and besides they dont want the shotguns, do they.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
i don't think you can say one scenario will trigger a shtfbut one thing is for sure---you'll know quickly when it does.

best be prepared.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree, it`s best to be prepared. And I give this topic a good portion of time and cash. I just wonder what is the catalyst people are expecting now?
The rapture has been predicted as soon as J.C. died and rose again. So I no longer live waiting to see people start to disappear in the middle of the day or wake up to find that the rapture happened last night, news at eleven.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Yes, we are law abiding citizens, but I'll become a criminal if they repeal the 2nd, cause I'm NOT giving up my guns.
When the SHTF posts were started, mine included, it was really just all in fun. But, as stated earlier, SHTF means different things to different people. I think ANY scenerio where you have to defend yourself is considered SHTF. My post of "supplies" was more geared to a national thing, like economic colapse, possibility of survival after a nuke attack, nationwide race riots, or whatever. Besides, it's fun being preparred, even if you don't have to be!
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
SHTF happens all over the world. SHTF depends on what you view it to be. I view the power crisis a SHTF economically. Due to the fact that it will cause lay-offs, mild recession, higher taxes. The Northridge quake was a SHTF for all that lost their homes. SHTF happens to people every day. Take the bearded gun man Mucko, shooting up co-workers. SHTF in his life and the lives of the ones he killed.
Bottom line is that we all have a SHTF situation. To avoid it, we must recognize it ahead of time and prepare for it. Easier said than done. Everyone must be in a state of alertness and calm. Awareness is key. Where is your breaking point? What circumstance will devestate you; will it be losing your 2nd Ammend right, losing your job, house, spouse, or a combination of all? Will it be the "man" coming for your guns? Once identified, then prepare for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to agree with X_Ring.  I just tell the wife it's camping gear.  However, that didn't wash when the UPS delivered 1000 rds. of .223!!   Uuuuhhhhh,... Bears??  No really honey!
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, it is kind of neat just to BS, but at least we thought about it. That is a lot more than we can say for the majority of those sheeple out there. For some of us in Calif., we had better think twice.  I would have never thought of controlled/rolling blackouts.

Things could potentially go bad real fast, and if you are not prepared, you could be at the mercy of those same politicians(those folks don’t have a clue of what’s going on) that got you into this mess in the first place. The merchants will gouge the heck out of you. Remember, if there is any emergency, and you start accumulating food, ammo etc, you could be accused of hoarding. Also, ammo sales are banned a week before New Year's and July 4th in Los Angeles. It doesn’t hurt to be prepared.  If “it” never happens, you can eat the food, and shoot the ammo, nothing is wasted. By the way, how many televisions, do you have in the house, and what did it cost?
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
How many tv`s in my house? Ouch.I got 7 working tv`s plugged in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I live on the East Coast. Hurricanes regularly tear Fla, Miss, Ga, SC, NC, and so on.

Earthquakes are becoming more common.

What if you are located in the mid west and there is a trailer park close by. You know they are tornado magnets.

Take you pick!!

Lordtrader's post was right on.  

I beleive in the Boy Scout Motto.  

If you truely believe nothing will happen to you then why do you have life or accident insurance coverage??
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Because all life ends and accidents happen frquently
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Does Weaver's run qualify for SHTF?  For him anyway?

Or was that a SHTF test case?

History tells us that if it ever does happen then the 'oversold fantasy' WILL BE a reality.  Why is it nothing that has ever happened in other parts of the world could never repeat themselves in the USA?.  Name your hitler, stalin, all the other killers.... and exterminators of millions.  Why are we so "egotistical, proud, naive, dumb, whatever, fill in the blank, ... to think that couldn't happen here?

Did those millions believe they would be exterminated?

Yea, we own a few million guns in this country.  But compare the 'restrictions' of that liberty versus the 'expansions' since our inception.  Which way is it headed?

Fitting tin hat for incoming...

Link Posted: 1/24/2001 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe I'm asking to be flamed but, I can't consider some of the things stated above as true SHTF senarios.  Yes alot of these things can be devastating and demorilizing but some things you've just got to be a man and take.  Yeah, I've lost jobs, got divorced, lost most of what I worked for most of my life, feel like I've had my children taken from me but I've gritted my teeth (real F___cking hard) and taken it. (because according to society I have to) But I haven't went Postal.  Everyone has different breaking points I know.
And don't get me wrong, I believe in Murphy's law so I'm prepared for the worse just like most everybody here on the board.  But I had to chuckle to myself because I've got this picture in my head of all of us sitting in our humble abodes, rubbing our firearms down with CLP, tinfoil hats on, with that half-crazed grin, kinda like that guy in Full Metal Jacket.

Fire away!!!!!!!!!  [rail]
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if it's too late to try to corner the aluminum foil market...
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]
SHTF??

It seems to me that a few folks have a very short memory.

Does anyone remember the L.A. riots??  I was stationed in Hawaii at the time, but I couldn't help but be a bit concerned for my ignorant family members that live in Kali...

At the time those riots happened, I believe that there were 2 or 3 other places in the country that had some major civil unrest.

I don't know if a true SHTF scenario will ever happen, and I hope it doesn't.  Having said that, I honestly want to ensure that my friends and family are safe and secure if it does.

Regards....
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#28]
True TSHTF in a few isolated areas in Los Angeles it was not the case in most of So. Cal. In fact it was quiet where I live, and I dont live that far from the epicenter.
As George Thorogood says 'That dont confront me'
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Stingerpup: could have sold my Rem 11/87 for $1,000 during the L.A. riots.  They had various mini-riots going on all over the Southern. Calif.
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I was in Rochester, NY at the time of the riots, and even we had little copycat riots going on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I reckon word got out about a crazy white boy lives on that street and he got an arsenal, that must be why Me and mine were safe.
I`m going to tell my wife 'see all that money was well spent. I`ll call it deterence, like nuclear tipped weapons'.[;)]
Link Posted: 1/25/2001 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Its good to be prepared for anything. the erosion of the bill of rights will only be gradual. the statist politicians are very intelligent they have learned from the past how best to confuse people. after a few generations go by the kids growing up will have been properly conditioned to be subjects and will believe the government gives us our rights as a privilage. it is indeed sad. the only real way to fight this is with truth and knowledge. as much ah i like polically incorrect weapons, they are not the best way to fight ignorance and confusion. only to protect yourself so you can escape to a less hostile area. (if somebody finds such a place please let me know mm'kay)        
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top