Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2002 10:57:12 PM EDT
Anybody got one? Do you like it or hate it? Is the reliability okay? How is the accuracy? Am I a traitor if I [b]DO[/b] decide to get a Ruger?

Scott

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had a Mini-14 for years.  It was a love-hate relationship for the longest time until I finally came to terms with it's strength's & weakness's.  Basically it was a case of figuring out my mission requirement for the darn thing.

Strength: With the right magazines (Thermolds are the shit in my experience) they are stone reliable.  I mean, like they NEVER jam...  The design is based on the Garand, what more do you need to know?

Weakness: For the most part they pattern like a shotgun.  4-6" groups @ 100yd are the norm. A chintzy-ass barrel that has been turned down WAY too fast is to blame.  This can be fixed, but you'll double the cost of the gun doing so.  No point.

Solution for the accuracy requirement:  What else, an AR-15.

Niche for the Mini-14:  With the barrel chopped to 16.5" (no ATF second guessing here, thank you very much) and a Fed. Ord. under-fold stock (no longer availible, alas) installed, you're looking at a 25" OAL vehicle gun.

Effective out to 200 yd (iron sights/stock extended), totally usable out the driver's-side window in a ramming situation (never happened to me, but it did happen to a friend of mine in the northern, inbred part of this here state), plus a 30-rounds-times-however-many-mags-you've-got firepower coeficient (and I usually travel with at least four spares), and you've got the ultimate rural equalizer.

Deliverance?  I think not!!!

Q: How come people in those sort of movies are never properly armed?

A: Because the movie would only be 10 minutes long.

If what I've described sounds like what you need out of a gun then buy the darn thing!  Ruger is a sell-out, yes, but if one of their products will possibly save your life then get it!  Principles don't mean shit if you're maimed or dead.

-Eric
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive had a Mini 14 since 1985. It has never jammed.It will shoot cheap ammo that my AR's won't even think about. It ain't MOA .Its about 4" at 100 yd. What I do like is it eats anything I feed it. Its a garand/M14 clone design for the most part. Now I only paid about $250 for mine and it came with alot of extras.I wouldn't go out and buy a new one because of the cost.But I didn't have one and could get one for $250 and below I would think its a good purchase.If you collect guns, your collection needs one for the A team alone .LOL War Dawg
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#3]

I bought one three years ago, Mini-14 SS, bought it new, have had it apart enought to know it inside and out, shoots great, no jamming, I love the finish, SS, no fussing involved, also I understand that all the small stuff inside is Stainless, not just the BBL, I like that, Lots of add on stuff available, I also have an AR, but I wouldn't get rid of my Mini-14 no way.
Shoots Wolf ammo all day, I bought some 30 round aftermarket mags, didn't feed well, so I replaced the followers with factory Ruger followers, much better.

If you want to have a nice selection of guns at your disposal, include a Mini-14.

Rancid Lance
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had Mini-14's for more than 20 years now, so I think I am qualified to answer this.

A Mini-14, with good mags, will not misfeed or "jam".  The only mags to consider are original 20 and 30 Rnd Ruger (difficult to get and they were always expensive) or Federal Ordnance / PMI (Precision Mag) magazines.  The Fed Ord and PMI were the same mag, only the name on the pkg was different.  Even the part number and package artwork were the same.

It will shoot far longer without cleaning than any AR15/M16. Period.

If you will throw away the crappy wood stock, and replace it with a Choate Folding or Pistol grip stock, or Butler Creek folder, you will find that accuracy will increase from the typical 4-6 moa to 1.5-2 moa.  ALL of my Minis, and I have 4, are in Choate and Butler Creek stocks.

Yes, the niche for this rifle is just what it is, a lightweight, reliable, compact carbine that is effective to 200 m.  

As much as I like my AR's, when "things go bump in the night" I reach for my Mini-14.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a MINI 14 GB with a Butler Creek Folder.
I like it quite well. Thermolds and factory Ruger mags are THE ONLY way to go.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1087[/img]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]

I've had pretty good luck with the John Masen mags. Have bought 3 30 rounders and all have worked without a hitch or misfeed. Just can't bring myself to pony up 75 bucks+ for a factory mag. Makes those M14 GI mags look like a bargain.

S-I
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Now say that i go out to wally world and buy a Mini-14. Can I got out and get that neet-o folding stock for it, or is it a post ban pre ban thing?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Saiga Sporter instead. Better reliability (AK action), MUCH better accuracy (choice of barrel lengths) and costs less than half as much (in .223, or about a third as much in 7.62 x 39). The perfect truck gun.

And best of all, it's every bit as ugly as a Mini-14/30!
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Friends don't let friends buy Mini-14s.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I have no friends then...[:D]

I have a SS model with synthetic stock. While nowhere near as accurate as my Colt HBAR, it still is a fun gun to shoot. Reliable as hell. It has shot everything I've put through it, unlike my AR. It just depends on what you want the rifle for.

I suppose I should say that I originally had no intention of buying it, but the price was just too good to pass up ($275 because a co-worker needed the money). I was pleasantly suprised by it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
For a post ban Mini-14, a good legal stock is the Choate pistol grip stock.  It does not fold, but is very ergonomic on this rifle.  If you do this, do NOT put on any other "evil features".  No flash suppressor, etc.  Choate also makes a conventional synthetic stock.

Both of these stocks can be had in basic tuxedo black, or camo.

You can also get the Butler Creek stock with a permanently pinned used-to-be folder style.

A stainless Mini-14, with a synthetic stock, you can drag thru the mud and muck and seawater, and will keep going.  Put a scope on it and with white box ammo (UMC, Winchester, Am Eagle) expect 1.5 MOA.

Edited to add:  With the stainless version, every part, including all springs and pins, are stainless with the exception of the rear sight blade, which is blued steel for visual purposes.  This rifle will not rust, though the stainless may discolor under some conditions (I have not seen that myself).  The stainless ones are not shiny like the old A-Team Minis, but a dull gray bead blasted finish.  Mini-14's will operate with minimal or even no lubrication, though lubing will make it last longer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I aquired a mini-14 back in the mid 80's. I've never had any problems with it. It's not as accurate as my AR's but it doesn't cost as much either. I've had loads of fun with it way before I bought my first AR. I'll always have one in my safe. [):)]

Friends don't let friends......[>:/]????

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top