Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2002 1:01:41 PM EDT
Ok, I live in California which means I can't get all the good guns that you lucky bastards in Nevada and Arizona and a bunch of other states get to buy.

Question I am asking (particularly to Californians) there are a lot of rifles that California considers "assault" rifle...like AR-15 or AK-47 I believe and others that look like them and whatnot...what can we get that is just as good?

I'd like to get one but there are so few that look like something I would like that I can't get (not to mention the few that I think I am allowed to buy I'm not sure if their any good).

Thanks for whatever suggestions you offer.  And please try to keep the "get out of California already" statements to a minimum...[:P]
Also, if possible can you put what price range the rifle you suggest you think it is?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Mini's accuracy issues can be handled by good, aftermarket, adjustable rear sights and proper bedding in a tight-fitting synthetic stock.  Clark(?) is now making an attachment for the bbl that seems to be well thought of.

Of course, don't forget the M1 Garand.  FWIW, you can mount BOTH a flash-suppressor AND bayonet on it if you wish.
View Quote

Yeah, I want to get a Garand.  Problem is it seems short of going to a gun show or joining a club then buying one you can't get them.  Maybe I'm wrong on that information though.  Someday I guess...
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd definitely be all about getting an M1.... via the CMP, they're only $500.  Best deal IMHO.  Or, if you can pony up more, a good M1A.  I want to eventually own both... should have my Garand within a couple months... :)

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
You're in the same boat as a buddy of mine who didn't get an AR before SB-23 took effect. He ended up getting a Mini-14. I laugh at him pretty regularly but in all honesty, it's not a bad rifle. The good thing about Mini's is that they're significantly cheaper than AR's were. Turners has one variant on sale this week for $479. And there are all kinds of aftermarket things for it -- magazines, replacement stocks, scope mounts, etc -- and lots o'cheap ammo. Sadly, a Mini-14 is not as good as an AR.

There's also the Mini-30 (which uses 7.62x39 ammo). There's plenty of ammo available for it as well and you can probably even use the cheap stuff from Wolf. As far as I know, the same caveats apply. Aftermarket stuff might be a little harder to come by. Price is slightly higher than Mini-14 but not by much -- $499 at Turners.

If you can afford it, the Springfield M1A is a far superior lead delivery system and can punch holes much farther out. Everything about it is more expensive -- including the ammo. Expect to pay at least three times what you'd pay for a Mini 14.

I don't know of any other semi-automatic rifle based upon anything remotely military that's legal in CA. There are CA legal AR variants (i.e. NO magazine well) but what's the point of that?

Still software determines hardware. What do you plan on doing with it. If you're interested in long range accuracy, you'll be better off with one of the many bolt guns that are available (all of which are still legal in CA -- for now). If you're looking to have fun with short range plinking, a 10/22 may be a good choice for you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, here's a list of all mag-fed semi autos which are still legal in California:

Ruger Police Carbine
Ruger Mini-14
Ruger Mini-30
Ruger Deerfield Carbine
M1 Garand (sort of mag fed)
M1 Carbine
M1A
SKS (fixed mag but cheap)
Marlin Camp Carbine
Browning BAR Mark 2
Remington 7400 Syn

Lesser known models:
Egyptian Rasheed/Rashid
Egyptian Hakim
Swedish AG42B
German G43/K43
Russian SVT-40
FN49
M1941 Johnson
HK SL6
HK SL7
Browning M1918

Wanna-be's:
FAB 10
Armscorp .22 AK and AR clones
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go to [url]www.odcmp.com[/url], and read up on how to get a Garand.  You [i]might[/i] not have to jump quite so many hoops as you think.  You may even already be qualified.  Good luck!
View Quote

Thats the club I was talking about but I'll look at it a bit closer.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're in the same boat as a buddy of mine who didn't get an AR before SB-23 took effect. He ended up getting a Mini-14. I laugh at him pretty regularly but in all honesty, it's not a bad rifle. The good thing about Mini's is that they're significantly cheaper than AR's were. Turners has one variant on sale this week for $479. And there are all kinds of aftermarket things for it -- magazines, replacement stocks, scope mounts, etc -- and lots o'cheap ammo. Sadly, a Mini-14 is not as good as an AR.

There's also the Mini-30 (which uses 7.62x39 ammo). There's plenty of ammo available for it as well and you can probably even use the cheap stuff from Wolf. As far as I know, the same caveats apply. Aftermarket stuff might be a little harder to come by. Price is slightly higher than Mini-14 but not by much -- $499 at Turners.

If you can afford it, the Springfield M1A is a far superior lead delivery system and can punch holes much farther out. Everything about it is more expensive -- including the ammo. Expect to pay at least three times what you'd pay for a Mini 14.

I don't know of any other semi-automatic rifle based upon anything remotely military that's legal in CA. There are CA legal AR variants (i.e. NO magazine well) but what's the point of that?

Still software determines hardware. What do you plan on doing with it. If you're interested in long range accuracy, you'll be better off with one of the many bolt guns that are available (all of which are still legal in CA -- for now). If you're looking to have fun with short range plinking, a 10/22 may be a good choice for you.
View Quote

Yeah, I go to Turners a lot.  Can't even think of buying a gun for at least a month since I just got a laptop so that's going to keep me in debt for a little while.  Just planning ahead.  Besides, Turners has Ruger Days type gun sales a lot it seems (3rd or 4th I've noticed in about a year I think)...can wait a few months if I decide to get one down the line.

Will mostly use it for plinking I guess but I already have a .22 (Marlin 60 made in 83 or 84 I think).  Figure its time to get a real rifle...heh.

Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go with the SKS or M1A

Good rifles

BTW every think about moving?
I did.[8D]

[50]
max
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Okay, here's a list of all mag-fed semi autos which are still legal in California:

Ruger Police Carbine
Ruger Mini-14
Ruger Mini-30
Ruger Deerfield Carbine
M1 Garand (sort of mag fed)
M1 Carbine
M1A
SKS (fixed mag but cheap)
Marlin Camp Carbine
Browning BAR Mark 2
Remington 7400 Syn

Lesser known models:
Egyptian Rasheed/Rashid
Egyptian Hakim
Swedish AG42B
German G43/K43
Russian SVT-40
FN49
M1941 Johnson
HK SL6
HK SL7
Browning M1918

Wanna-be's:
FAB 10
Armscorp .22 AK and AR clones
View Quote

Don't forget about the MAS49/56
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Another option is  DSA FAL

They have a CA Legal version. Fixed Mag, 10 rounds, fed by stripper clip.

[url]www.dsarms.com/SA58_T48_Replica.htm[/url]

A fine looking rifle

[img]www.dsarms.com/images/t48.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a Garand for .30-06

Get a Mini-14 for 5.56/.223

Get an M1A for .308.

Get them all.  They all have a similar look.

The Mini is reliable and can accept high cap mags.

The Garand is a part of history and is a good long distance shooter.

If you must have .308 (which I admittedly an not a fan of), get the M1A.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys.  Wanted a Garand and looks like I'm a little closer to getting one.  Always wanted one to begin with but since I don't shoot in matches and stuff it made it real hard to pass the test they want.  But found a place that actually has a sort of class where they loan a garand and you can shoot and qualify for the "I can shoot a target test."  Just gotta find out if I can do it this month or if I'll have to wait till the one after that.

Only problem now is which Garand to get...Springfield, Winchester, etc.  Even saw they sell Danish ones.  Either way finally get one.

Then after I get this one guess I can look at the other rifles you posted again once I save some money...[:)]

Thanks again guys...
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Bostonterrier97: Don't forget about the MAS49/56

The MAS 49/56 has a super-evil grenade launcher attachment on the front, so it is unavailable in California (no grenade launchers allowed, period).

cgwahl, what part of the state do you live in?
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#17]
One note on getting Garands... Keep an eye out for someone selling a CMP Garand.  I've bought 2, one through the Equipment Exchange here, and another at a gun show.  They were sold for about $600 on average, which is more than the CMP charges, but I didn't have to shoot in a qualifying match and join an affiliated club, so I figure I came out about even.  

Garands are wonderful guns, and everyone should own one.  There are fellas out there that specialize in sprucing them up, if you like, e.g., new park job or refinish wood.  Here's one good one: [url]http://www.dgrguns.com/index.html[/url]

The Mini-14 is probably not as bad as the conventional wisdom says it is.  An ex marine friend of mine had one, and I watched him pick off fist-sized rocks at 200 yds all day long with it.  Perhaps it is hit-or-miss, and if it is, I guess he got one of the good ones.

I'm not real familiar with the Calif laws, but what about a Beretta BM-59?  A little pricey, but a nice gun.  Also, the AR-180B?  Is that illegal?
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bostonterrier97: Don't forget about the MAS49/56

The MAS 49/56 has a super-evil grenade launcher attachment on the front, so it is unavailable in California (no grenade launchers allowed, period).

cgwahl, what part of the state do you live in?
View Quote

Southern California.  North Orange County to be specific.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't ever get a mini-30. They're literal pieces of crap. Accuracy is whatever, and they're really picky about the ammunition load. Ruger must really have something against russian ammunition, since mini-30's refuse to feed those bastards. If you want somethingin 7.62x39, get yourself an SKS. Theyre price very moderately and have great accuracy. It's legal to have bayonets on them too. And if you ever decide to leave PRK, you can chuck out the fixed 10 round mag and start using detachables. I've ordered the fab-10, also... so we'll see how it shoots. Im planning on putting a bushy 16 inch upper on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]
minion82's list is good, but I would add that you can own a regular FAL in CA, but you cannot attach the pistol grip. You can sight it in at the range sans pistol grip and shoot it in Nevada if you like with the pistol grip attached.

If you don't want to deal with that BS, I would suggest an M1A or the DSA CA legal FAL for 308 or an SKS because the ammo is cheap.

There are a number of C&R rifles available besides the SKS as well.

Anyway, if you can afford it, I would start with the M1A and if you decide you want another 308, that DSA CA FAL is good too (and looks nice).
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
[url]http://www.gogogadgets.net[/url]
Fab-10 website
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top