Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/28/2003 7:31:08 AM EDT
I am currently a security officer and want to get more involved and I am looking into becoming a LEO. I have heard some people on the board talk about riding along with an officer to see how things work to find if this is going to work for me. Anyone have any ideas or tips that I could use? Would it be better to use a smal town community or get with a larger town to do this? Anyone have any stories they would like to share about their own ride along LEO view or citizen view would be appreciated. Thanks Nick
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:36:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:37:02 AM EDT
Contact your local dept. they'll be more likely to offer this because you're a resident. speak with a supervisor, and set it up. Dress nicely, and whatever you do, leave your guns at home!!!! Most LEO's don't really like riders, but be friendly,and it can be a good experience...
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:09:08 AM EDT
My department has a ride along program. The person has to fill out an application, we do a backround check, then set a time up if all is ok. We have what we call host officers, ones that don't mind someone riding with them and are squared away so the rider has a positive experience. We get alot of interns also. Each agency will have it's own system, smaller ones may not require an application if they know you. The host officer has limitations when he has a guest, tremendous liability having a non sworn member in the car. Mark
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:43:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mmsig229: Contact your local dept. they'll be more likely to offer this because you're a resident. speak with a supervisor, and set it up. Dress nicely, and whatever you do, leave your guns at home!!!! Most LEO's don't really like riders, but be friendly,and it can be a good experience...
View Quote
...and don't wear your hair spiked straight up!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:12:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:02:42 PM EDT
Thanks for all the info people. See ya at the range!!
Top Top