Posted: 9/8/2010 9:33:45 PM EDT

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1486193/

March 2011

"A drama set centered around the war between Russia and Georgia, and
focused on an American journalist, his cameraman, and a Georgian native
who become caught in the crossfire."

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
In berofe Primorsky venting about Georgians attacking innocent SOuth Ossetian civilians and Russian "Peacekeepers", or something something...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
This video clip was in the Russian tank thread.  I had never seen it before tonight.

Does anyone know if they used a Western MANPADS or Soviet?

I was informed it was an SA-11 and not a MANPADS. The guy standing in the field did not launch the missile.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they mostly used Soviet stuff like the Igla for MANPADs.  They did have much better AA weapons though (which accounts for many of their kills) as well as access to the NATO air defence network.  

This movie seems like it might have a very liberal perspective on the war, one not exactly sympathetic to the Georgians and perhaps even putting some crosshairs on the U.S. as well, Bush's fault and all that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think they mostly used Soviet stuff like the Igla for MANPADs.  They did have much better AA weapons though (which accounts for many of their kills) as well as access to the NATO air defence network.  

This movie seems like it might have a very liberal perspective on the war, one not exactly sympathetic to the Georgians and perhaps even putting some crosshairs on the U.S. as well, Bush's fault and all that.

Yep, this is always to be expected
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The moment I saw Val Kilmer on the poster, I knew it was gonna be yet another "Bush's Fault - Blame America" deal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The moment I saw Val Kilmer on the poster, I knew it was gonna be yet another "Bush's Fault - Blame America" deal.

Of course.  Because Val Kilmer knows more about what fighting the Russians was like than a Georgian soldier who was fighting the Russians.
-K

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet it will be kind of like that Russian movie where some atrocity is witnessed by the journalist by the Georgians and somehow the CIA is involved or something and the Bush Administration knows about it and in the background the Russians and Georgians fight out a war the Georgians completed started (and which the journalist has evidence of).  I'm hoping not and that it is good but one thing that makes this less likely is the fact that there is no perspective of a Georgian soldier (an officer of some sort would be most preferable).
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#8]
On second thought it appears the Georgian military and President Saakashvili went out of their way to help make the movie and even provided military uniforms, equipment, and access the the President's house for the movie, meaning that the movie might not be all that bad regarding its portrayal of the war.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Found this tidbit:

Georgia is also active in Hollywood at the moment. Saakashvili recently launched a film project in the hope of propagating his country's version of the Caucasus conflict in the Anglo-Saxon world. The Georgians hired stars including Andy Garcia and Val Kilmer for the motion picture "Georgia 2008," which also features music by Katie Melua, a British pop singer with Georgian roots.

The film's director, Renny Harlin, is best known for the mediocrity of his work. He's the creator of films like "Die Hard 2" and "Deep Blue Sea" and is the five-time recipient of the Golden Raspberry award for the worst films of the year. "I have waited a long time for something with substance and reality," Harlin has said, while adding that he wanted to direct an anti-war film and that this project is in no way directed against Russia.

But it is easy to be suspicious about the director's objectivity. Harlin, who hails from Finland, made his debut in 1986 with "Born American," a trash film about three Americans who accidentally cross the border to the Soviet Union and are then hunted and tortured by blood-thirsty Russians.

Officially, Harlin's "Georgia 2008" is an American project, but at least part of the financing came from Georgia –– as well as the script. Papuna Davitaia, at the time a member of the Georgian parliament close to the president, worked on the script as a co-author in 2009.

Davitaia, who has since been promoted to the ministerial level in Sakaashvili's government, had earlier gained experience in the film industry in Germany, where he worked as an animator on the children's film "The Little Polar Bear."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,684192,00.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Found this tidbit:

Georgia is also active in Hollywood at the moment. Saakashvili recently launched a film project in the hope of propagating his country's version of the Caucasus conflict in the Anglo-Saxon world. The Georgians hired stars including Andy Garcia and Val Kilmer for the motion picture "Georgia 2008," which also features music by Katie Melua, a British pop singer with Georgian roots.

The film's director, Renny Harlin, is best known for the mediocrity of his work. He's the creator of films like "Die Hard 2" and "Deep Blue Sea" and is the five-time recipient of the Golden Raspberry award for the worst films of the year. "I have waited a long time for something with substance and reality," Harlin has said, while adding that he wanted to direct an anti-war film and that this project is in no way directed against Russia.

But it is easy to be suspicious about the director's objectivity. Harlin, who hails from Finland, made his debut in 1986 with "Born American," a trash film about three Americans who accidentally cross the border to the Soviet Union and are then hunted and tortured by blood-thirsty Russians.

Officially, Harlin's "Georgia 2008" is an American project, but at least part of the financing came from Georgia –– as well as the script. Papuna Davitaia, at the time a member of the Georgian parliament close to the president, worked on the script as a co-author in 2009.

Davitaia, who has since been promoted to the ministerial level in Sakaashvili's government, had earlier gained experience in the film industry in Germany, where he worked as an animator on the children's film "The Little Polar Bear."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,684192,00.html

I just may be pleasantly surprised by this movie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top