Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2013 4:39:34 PM EDT
Going Sat. to drag out a 1955-56 Ford F600 dually with boom on the back. From the lil I can see, its kinda ruff, so we shall see. Been dreaming if building a hotrod/Rat rod for awhile now.

Also have a line on a 460cid with 4speed out of a mid 80s wrecker, could be a wicked power plant for the Rat. lol.

going to take vid / pics of us pulling it out and then document my adventures "IF" i progress with it. Gotta see what Im working with and what kinda cost will be associated with it and access to parts, etc etc etc.

No real game plan for it, just want it LOW and LOUD, and obviously street worthy. lol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
While I wouldn't want a tow boom in the back of mine, a 55 f600 would be an amazing rat rod.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
lowered and chopped f600 + cummins would be
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, not sure what Im going to do with it yet. Im thinking of ditching the boom, I dont want the truck to be mistaken for a 'Mater truck from CARS movie. lol.

Once we drag it out , than we can see where to go with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yea, not sure what Im going to do with it yet. Im thinking of ditching the boom, I dont want the truck to be mistaken for a 'Mater truck from CARS movie. lol.

Once we drag it out , than we can see where to go with it.

I think a rodded tow truck would be tits.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My "dream" would be a the V6 Turbo & supercharged semi-truck motor. Id have exaggerated exhaust and intake. lol.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My "dream" would be a the V6 Turbo & supercharged semi-truck motor. Id have exaggerated exhaust and intake. lol.

DETROIT DIESEL with pipes!  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.  Nothin sounds meaner.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

why are you here? why aren't you taking pics and posting them?

LoL..yea yea..tomorrow morning im headed up there and we are dragging it out of the weeds, could be interesting. I know the hood was in pretty rough shape, so not sure about the rest. Being an F600 heavy duty framed truck, im guessing the frame should be in good shape and I need the cab to be decent. Im not worried about the floors as they will get cut out to slam the body over the frame.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey DT, sounds like a good project. Here is one of my rat rods....41 Dodge(former Anheuser-Busch delivery truck, that's the original logo on the doors, hard to make out in the pic.) It runs a BUILT Chrysler 413 wedge. We cut the frame, updated the rear to a Dana 80. The great thing about rat rods, you cant do anything wrong to them.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Yea, looks like No-Go for the F600. The body is too far gone and the rear frame has been beefed up with actual steel beams, etc. Too much work for what I want to do. Plus there is a 10" diam tree that grew up thru the back of the frame area. lol.

But I found a drive line donor truck, 80s model Ford tow truck dually, has 460cid and 4 speed. Just need to find a 40s-50s cab and front clip.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DETROIT DIESEL with pipes!  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.  Nothin sounds meaner.

One of the most amazing motors I have ever heard was a 6-71 being run on a stand with open headers. Brutal Awesomeness.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yea, looks like No-Go for the F600. The body is too far gone and the rear frame has been beefed up with actual steel beams, etc. Too much work for what I want to do. Plus there is a 10" diam tree that grew up thru the back of the frame area. lol.

But I found a drive line donor truck, 80s model Ford tow truck dually, has 460cid and 4 speed. Just need to find a 40s-50s cab and front clip.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/f600_zpsd407dca7.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/F600II_zpsfc1fe253.jpg

That doesn't look so bad. A lot of people have done more with less. You may need to find a new frame and running gear, but the body looks perfect for a rat rod project. I would at least try pulling the truck out and getting the cab off. Patch up the big holes and you're ready to drop it on a new frame.

My dad and I have been working on a 68 International Loadstar for about a year. We're putting the cab on a GMC step van frame and building a mini "semi truck" style rat rod out of it. We've got a Ford 460 to go in it whenever we get to that point. Unless you're retired or unemployed, plan on your project taking about 3 times as long as you would normally expect....

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Eventually I want to do a project like this myself.  I want to build the frame and drop body parts from 3 or 4 different generations of Ford and Chevy trucks.  Engine will probably be a big block V8 or maybe a big block V6 out of a 60s GMC truck.  I have a love/hate relationship with rat rods.  I love it when people build them from multiple different vehicles from different eras, but hate when they just flat back a more or less stock (go parts wise) era truck and call it a rat.  My motto has always been do it right or don't bother doing it at all.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That doesn't look so bad. A lot of people have done more with less. You may need to find a new frame and running gear, but the body looks perfect for a rat rod project. I would at least try pulling the truck out and getting the cab off. Patch up the big holes and you're ready to drop it on a new frame.
]

The frame was fine, except they used building steel trusses to reinforce the back area for the boom. The body is toast. very lil metal to work with.

I was going for a rat rod but I found this pic..........

Which is more into a Hot Rod style, not much rat to it.  lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I helped a friend build this one. '67 SWB utility truck with 4/6 lowering, PS, PB and a 454/400 combo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd love to get my hands on one of these:

And drop in a built-for-torque 460+ or diesel, some loud pipes (maybe stacks), brake upgrades, new tires, and not much else needs to be changed IMO.
If you really wanted to, you could go all Mad Max with some black paint, the biggest steel bull guard you could find, a blower sticking out of the hood, some chains, and a shrunken head or a wrecking ball off the boom.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top