Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/18/2001 8:08:35 PM EDT
Red Davis, Kal's gov signed the hand gun safety bill the other day. Here, direct from the government is the testing procedure. Seems to me if they are really concerned with ignorant people knowing how to properly handle a hand gun they would have chosen better terminology. I added the bold highlights. I can just see someone trying to disassemble a gun to "remove" the safety device. 1. Dealer requirement for buyer to demonstrate knowledge of safe handling: (i) If the handgun is a semiautomatic pistol: (I) Remove the magazine. (II) Lock the slide back. If the model of firearm does not allow the slide to be locked back, pull the slide back, visually and physically check the chamber to ensure that it is clear. (III) Visually and physically inspect the chamber, to ensure that the handgun is unloaded. (IV) [b]Remove the firearm safety device, if applicable. If the firearm safety device prevents any of the previous steps, remove the firearm safety device during the appropriate step.[/b] (V) Load one bright orange dummy round into the magazine. (VI) Insert the magazine into the magazine well of the firearm. (VII) Manipulate the slide release or pull back and release the slide. (VIII) Remove the magazine. (IX) Visually inspect the chamber to reveal that a round can be chambered with the magazine removed. (X) Lock the slide back to eject the bright orange dummy round. If the handgun is of a model that does not allow the slide to be locked back, pull the slide back and physically check the chamber to ensure that the chamber is clear. (XI) Apply the safety, if applicable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:09:13 PM EDT
Continued- (XII) Apply the firearm safety device, if applicable. (ii) If the handgun is a double-action revolver: (I) Open the cylinder. (II) Visually and physically inspect each chamber, to ensure that the revolver is unloaded. (III) [b]Remove the firearm safety device. If the firearm safety device prevents any of the previous steps, remove the firearm safety device during the appropriate step.[/b] (IV) While maintaining muzzle awareness and trigger discipline, load one bright orange dummy round into a chamber of the cylinder and rotate the cylinder so that the round is in the next-to-fire position. (V) Close the cylinder. (VI) Open the cylinder and eject the round. (VII) Visually and physically inspect each chamber to ensure that the revolver is unloaded. (VIII) Apply the firearm safety device, if applicable. (iii) If the handgun is a single-action revolver: (I) Open the loading gate. (II) Visually and physically inspect each chamber, to ensure that the revolver is unloaded. (III) [b]Remove the firearm safety device required to be sold with the handgun. If the firearm safety device prevents any of the previous steps, remove the firearm safety device during the appropriate step.[/b] (IV) Load one bright orange dummy round into a chamber of the cylinder, close the loading gate and rotate the cylinder so that the round is in the next-to-fire position. (V) Open the loading gate and unload the revolver. (VI) Visually and physically inspect each chamber to ensure that the revolver is unloaded. (VII) Apply the firearm safety device, if applicable. (E) The recipient shall receive instruction regarding how to render that handgun safe in the event of a jam. (F) The firearms dealer shall sign and date an affidavit stating that the requirements of subparagraph (D) have been met. The firearms dealer shall additionally obtain the signature of the handgun purchaser on the same affidavit. The firearms dealer shall retain the original affidavit as proof of compliance with this requirement.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:13:10 PM EDT
I think they are referring to the mandatory trigger lock or cable lock when they say "safety device".
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:33:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By operatorerror: I think they are referring to the mandatory trigger lock or cable lock when they say "safety device".
View Quote
That's also the interpretation that I came to. It also seems as if it is just a visual BFSC that is required by an FFL. Alex
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:43:52 PM EDT
Dedicated kalifornia DOJ agents during gun safety and gun lock testing. [img]wsphotofews.excite.com/003/g1/YR/iu/un35070.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:08:45 AM EDT
Top Top