Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 11:16:47 AM EDT
I'm an accomplished hunt-n-peck artist capable of a consistent, error-free 50 wpm.  As such, I've never bothered to learn proper touch-typing.

My wife is learning to touch-type and is frustrated with her current pace of progress.  After four days of lessons and exercises using the Mavis Beacon software she's doing 20 wpm using proper technique and without looking at the keyboard.  This is while copying paragraphs from a magazine.

Any idea how long it takes most folks to hit 50 wpm?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by "touch typing?" Regular typing?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know, I've been touch typing since I've had a computer. I effectively type 110wpm w/o errors
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't know, I've been touch typing since I've had a computer. I effectively type 110wpm w/o errors

I laughed out loud when I saw that your post was edited.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
How long does it take someone to learn to swim?

It’s muscle memory. She will not “get fast” until she stops thinking about hand position and just types what she wants.

It took me years to learn to really touch type and involved a bunch of typing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
If we're talking about regular typing, I can type 50-60 wpm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I laughed out loud when I saw that your post was edited.

I put a space where I didn't want it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If we're talking about regular typing, I can type 50-60 wpm.

Same here, but since I hunt and peck I often miss keys and hit the next one over.  This is because I have no position from which to index.   I always have to glance down at my keyboard every few seconds.  I really do wish I could type the right way, but I'm afraid it would take too long to re-learn how to type 60WPM.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Same here.  Probably 90-110wpm here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I knew of one legal secretary in downtown Chicago that types 126 wpm error free.  I think she's an alien.  

Me?  78 wpm 2% error rate and I'm a lifer with carpal tunnel syndrome.  Before CTS, it was 95 wpm error free.  Now, my hands start to cramp up, I make mistakes, and have to slow down or stop until the numbness goes away.

From novice to 50-60 wpm...tough to say.

If you type every day for a living (8-10 hours like a secretary)...probably 1 year.

Error-free rates by administrative status (for job searches)
40 wpm entry level, receptionist
50-60 average (2+ yrs experience)
60-70 executive secretary
70-80 legal secretary
80+  court reporters; stenographers

Mavis Beacon is a great program but you really have to just type all the time to get faster.  It has to be as natural as combing your hair or brushing your teeth.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I learned touchtyping in 8th or 9th grade, think it was an 8 week course.  Been typing ever since and pretty damned good at it I must add  On the downside, my handwriting sucks ass.

ETA:  what I remeber was the first row keys, you start doing stupid words like: sad, fad, a sad fad, a sad lad, a sad lad; with the keys asdf and jk;  then you venture out to g and h, and do shit like "a glad lad had ...", then you pick up a new letter or so a day and just practice and practice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell her not to be discouraged. 20WPM is good for only 4 days. I took a typing class in high school for a semester and still was only at 30WPM.

After typing pretty much everything in college (reports, software, etc.) I was up to 50WPM. After years in high tech I can probably burst up to 60-70 with errors (but those don't count very much in this day and age of the backspace key).

No matter what she shouldn't cheat. Use the correct finger for the correct key. Do not look at the keys. That's the only way to learn the skill.

Like shooting it's a perishable skill. If she is not typing stuff everyday it will atrophy.

ETA +1000 on what ErinGirl wrote.

aa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top