Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2001 11:31:04 AM EDT
Zoom,

Can you not get a CCW permit in SC.  I know I worked for a defense contractor for the last 10 years, and have had a confidential level security clearance for years.  So I know my print are on file too.  I have no problem getting a permit in either Indiana when I lived there, or Arizona now that I live here.  It makes most sales go much easier!

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I almost didn't notice the topic...

The problem didn't have anything to do with the security clearance or the fact that I already had fingerprints on file.  I was just giving that as an example of the "fine citizen" I am. :)  Sorry my ranting got in the way of comprehension.  The problem is that SLED (SC state police) sends one copy of the prints to the FBI.  According to SLED policy, the prints have to be 100% acceptable to the FBI.  The FBI scans the prints with a computer, and if any part of the print is smudged, they don't accept the prints.  Well, I'm old, and I carry heavy coarse canvas bags for a living.  There is no way to get a perfect set of prints from my fingers, so SLED (because of the FBI) won't accept my prints for the CWP.  I asked Chief Stewart to appeal my denial, but he didn't even honor me with a no.  Twice while traveling near SLED headquarters, I stopped by and asked to see him.  Both times, I was told he does not make appointments directly with anyone.  I need to have a SLED officer petition his office for an appointment.  What is he, the Pope?  According to my attorney, petitioning Chief Stewart is my only legal recourse, and (this is the part I don't believe even though it is the law) I only have 30 days after the denial to get him to reverse the denial.  I wanted to sue him in small claims court to get back the $50 they took, but my lawyer talked me out of it.  That might have been a good thing.  I've talked to several people I took the class with and with several friends that I (mistakenly) talked into taking the class.  Not a one of them has been approved by SLED so far.  In fact, I haven't yet met someone with a CWP in SC that didn't know someone who helped them get the permit.  SC is officially a shall issue state, but in practise, it's as bad here as it is anywhere else in the country.  From what I've seen, the CWP process in South Carolina is a scam to collect $50 and fingerprints from each sucker who actually thinks the pigs will let them carry concealed.  Yes, I'm bitter after having been ripped-off by the state.

Hey, did you delete your previous thread?  I had a long drawn-out set of questions asking for help w/ NICS, and it disappeared out from under me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Zoom,

Yes I did, and I appologize for the loss of your information.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top