Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 8:19:28 AM EDT
I'm anxiously watching the track of Hurricane Hannah as I will be flying Saturday out of ATL and JFK bound for SNN, Ireland.

So I got to thinking, what's the max cross/head/tail wind conditions a 757 can take off/land in?

The last I checked, JFK was forecasting South winds at 28 on Saturday p.m.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I ain't a big iron driver, but the "little" planes I DO fly can easily take-off and land in 28 mph winds, so I doubt much you'll have any troubles.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm anxiously watching the track of Hurricane Hannah as I will be flying Saturday out of ATL and JFK bound for SNN, Ireland.

So I got to thinking, what's the max cross/head/tail wind conditions a 757 can take off/land in?

It will be neglible.  JFK has two very long runways oriented to the southeast.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Hanna looks like it will be east of ATL and south of NYC at that time. Regardless, should not be a factor. Have a good time...

flap

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
For computing takeoff/landing data, the worst is having a strong crosswing and/or gust on a wet runway.  Tailwind takeoffs are generally not done, as those reduce takeoff performance.  Generally, the aircraft's limitations are not what limit you, but rather operating procedures set forth by the airline/company/etc.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
10 kts of tailwind component is the one that usually bites you.

IIRC, the 757 had a max demonstrated x-wind component of 33 kts???  Is that right??  I can't remember.  There was also a head wind one for autolands too.  Can't remember that one either.

Hey, give me a break.  That was three planes ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That was three planes ago.

Is there such thing as a cool HS 125 avatar?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The Lear 35 has a max of 10 kts tailwind.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#8]
For all Jets, it's pretty standard.  10 kts tailwind component.  140 kts headwind component.

Demonstrated crosswind is usually around 35 kts

I actually have landed a large turboprop in a +50kt direct headwind.  No big deal, until you try to exit the runway.  Taxiing can be interesting, particularly when there is snow or ice on the ground.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Now let's introduce gust factor into this equation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IIRC, the 757 had a max demonstrated x-wind component of 33 kts???  Is that right??  I can't remember.  There was also a head wind one for autolands too.  Can't remember that one either.

On a dry runway, it's 40kts crosswind component for t/o and landing.  No headwind limit (unless for autoland, but I can't remember it either!), and 15kt tailwind for t/o and landing.

Wet/contaminated runways have a lower t/o limit, but I believe the landing limits are the same for us.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On a dry runway, it's 40kts crosswind component for t/o and landing.  No headwind limit (unless for autoland, but I can't remember it either!), and 15kt tailwind for t/o and landing.

Wet/contaminated runways have a lower t/o limit, but I believe the landing limits are the same for us.

You sure about that???  I think that the 15 kts tailwind is for a coupled approach, however, 10 kts for landing still applies.  That is to say, the A/P can handle the tailwind on the approach, but by the time you touch down the wind has to be down to 10.

Isn't 10kts tailwind an FAA thing??  All my books are packed up and I can't find anything since the move.......
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That was three planes ago.

Is there such thing as a cool HS 125 avatar?

No, I don't think there is.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll hunt down an AFM and check to be sure, but yeah I think it's right.....

You sure about that???  I think that the 15 kts tailwind is for a coupled approach, however, 10 kts for landing still applies.  That is to say, the A/P can handle the tailwind on the approach, but by the time you touch down the wind has to be down to 10.

Isn't 10kts tailwind an FAA thing??  All my books are packed up and I can't find anything since the move.......
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Link

Thanks. Thanks a lot...
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Link

Thanks. Thanks a lot...

There were some cross wind landings in there....go to you tube and search 757 crosswind...the boeing test vids are awesome!

To be honest, I have 16 years of experience with aviation....everyone on the ground is trying to keep you alive, everyone up there is trying to keep you alive. Strong X-Winds are rare at a field like JFK...there are 8 runways there..you'll have a head wind...28 knots aint nothing....it will all be head wind with some minor crosswind component....there is no limit on headwinds, it's what we all want.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top