Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 7:20:01 PM EDT
Can you bring a 50 caliber rifle into the State of California legally?
This assumes you are not a cop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
try the "hide"
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Good question.. I think they are handled the same way as AWs - I think you can travel through the state with them (keep them secured, locked and in the trunk) and can shoot them in CA at a qualified shooting competition.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The gsyt of my question is in regard to the recent CNN anti 50 cal report.
If the reporter who made this report brought a "banned" rifle into the state of California
illegally, and had the courtesy of providing video taped evidence of his crime, I would like to se him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The gsyt of my question is in regard to the recent CNN anti 50 cal report.
If the reporter who made this report brought a "banned" rifle into the state of California
illegally, and had the courtesy of providing video taped evidence of his crime, I would like to se him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Then I think it depends on the circumstances of why he brought it into the state. It very well could have been legal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I know it will be a long shot anyway, but it would sure be nice to watch him sporting the latest in
steel wristwear. I will try to peruse the State of Cali webpages for more info.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are moving to Califonia, you can bring a .50 caliber rifle into the state, but first you have to get a permit for it from the Department of Justice. The law states that you have to turn the rifle over to an FFL Dealer while the paperwork is processed. Personally, I would not do that, because if, for some reason, you were denied the permit, then there is the possiblity you would not get your rifle back. I would keep the rifle out of state until I got the permit. That way if you were denied the permit, you could make arrangements to store the rifle out of state or sell it. I would contact DOJ prior to moving into the state and have the permit in hand BEFORE the move. Here is the section of the law relating to .50 caliber rifles:

4) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of a .50 BMG rifle, shall do one of the following:
(A) Prior to bringing the .50 BMG rifle into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(B) The person shall cause the .50 BMG rifle to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290 in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that .50 BMG rifle to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290 is prohibited from delivering the .50 caliber BMG rifle to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall dispose of the .50 BMG rifle as allowed by this chapter.
(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 12276,12276.1, or 12278, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(7) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between any of the places mentioned in this subdivision, or to any licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, for servicing or repair pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12290, if the assault weapon is transported as required by Section 12026.1.

This is the link to the DOJ site relating to Assault Weapons:

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
so, theoretically speaking, if it can be proved that he didn't have the above mentioned permit,
He broke the law?
How does one go about reporting a " gun crime" in Cali!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#8]
This is my conversation with the CA DOJ when I was an LEO in CA.

Me: Hi, I have a Maadi ARM I bought in 1994 I just found out is illegal. What can I do.
CA DOJ: You can turn it in to local law enforcement of render it inoperable.
Me: I'm a Federal LEO, can I register it?
CA DOJ: No!!!
Me: Can I sell it  and ship it out of state in AZ?
CA DOJ: Would a pound of Cocaine be any more lagal in AZ than CA?
Me: Bye!! (Glad I'm on a Payphone)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]

I am going to write a letter to the AG in Cali and report a possible "gun crime"
involving a 50 cal "terror weapon" being smuggled into their state!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top