Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 7/2/2009 12:03:09 PM EST
O.K. here is the deal. I was active duty Army from 1990-1994. In 2005 I was reading the papers about how we needed troops and how stoploss was holding in soldiers who were past their ETS and thought to myself "I am still in great shape and my country needs me so...." I joined the Army reserves at age 34. Reclassed from Infantry to MP because the reserves don't have Infantry. I tried and tried to get deployed and strangly couldn't,volunteered for every unit in the reserves going over and such and still no go. Stayed in the reserves for about a year and learned the VAANG was deploying to Iraq so I asked for and got a release from the reserves to join the Guard. I joined the Guard a week before they left for MOBE station on a "try a year" contract and served my year in Iraq,did my part,ETS's and came home. I got home 14 months ago today. I have not been in the Guard or reserve in any way,shape,or form since I got back.

Last night I got a Fed-Ex overnight package with orders telling me to report to Ft. Benning in a little less than a month for mobilization for Iraqi Freedom. It's not one of the BS letters recruiter send you every now and then it's an actual order for not to exceed 400 days,complete with travel arrangments and forms.

So my question(Finally!!)for recruiters or carreer councillers or BTDT. Am I still actually subject to IRR call-up?( I don't think I am) Is this an actual mobilization I need to have all my affairs in order for or a call-up muster?( I think it is) Will the fact I am a police officer working in a town on a hiring freeze make me a community hardship exception if I am in fact subject to call-back(No clue)

Thanks for any and all help.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 4:53:52 PM EST
I may not be in the loop but my understanding is you are committed to a 8 years you did 4 active and then some IRR time and some reserve and NG time l would say that you have completed your time. I would do an internet search for one of those attorneys that are defending guys that fall under the stop loss policy. Just my two cents. But you are most likely going to have to report.


Link Posted: 7/2/2009 6:14:16 PM EST
youve been called up. look on your orders, see if youre reporting to the 641st MTC or CRC at benning. i was there 2 weeks ago, i fly over on monday.

you'll spend a week there, get your gear, check a bunch of boxes (look out for tripwires!) and fly from there, most likely.

whether or not you're eligible for call up, thats for the admin folks to decide. if youve got more questions regarding your impending trip to benning, shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 6:37:03 PM EST
The Army does seem pretty happy in general to change the rules mid-game; call bullshit and contact the JAG office and see what they think. Sounds like breach of contract to me, or more specifically lack of contract.

Personally I would have no problem going back if ASKED; but someone sending me a letter out of the blue ordering me somewhere when I know for a fact they have no such legal or moral authority? Yeah that wouldn't fly at all.
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 4:02:51 AM EST
Thanks for all replies,ZH you have a PM inbound.
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 9:48:00 AM EST
Okay did 12 years in the Navy last 2 as a recruiter. I am not however a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Every enlistment contract i saw called for a set period of Active duty followed by a set period in the IRR to total 8 years. So if you joined in 1990 and where in till 1994 that is 4 years so then until 1998 you where IRR (1990-1998 = 8) after that the Military can not touch you. So im not sure where they are getting to call you back from but i would be making some phone calls and or sending copies of My DD-214 to whoever it needs to go to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:50:14 PM EST
You are free and clear of your inactive/ready reserve commitment from your initial enlistment.

But I have no idea what sort of fine print existed on your enlistment contract when you went back in.

That is where you want to look.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:18:10 AM EST
Don't rely on the info you get here, however correct it may be.

Call ARPERCEN (That's what it was called when I got called for DS/DS in 91). That should be the issuing HQ for those orders.

Actually, my situation was slightly different, I had volunteered to return to active duty and was accecpted for a 4 year AD commitment. However, there were a bunch of other aviators joining me at the processing center at Ft Rucker who had activated for up to 180 days. One guy showed up in a flight suit and black walking shoes, only uniform he had and he hadn't been active in the IRR for about 5 years. All those guys (IRR that is) were sent home after reporting. There were about 90 of us that were recalled to active duty that year. I was able to turn it into retirement.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:57:37 PM EST
WTF? Sounds like you have done your time. It is 8 years from when you originally enlisted. Since you joined the reserves/guard does that 8 years start over?
Top Top